French CL Draw

Discussion in 'France' started by Shah, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Shah

Shah New Member

My reaction to the French CL draw was that it was fairly positive with one of the three teams a good chance to qualify, and one other a good outside chance. It will pit French clubs against tough opposition and I look forward to seeing how our clubs do.

AJ Auxerre: Their draw is a tough one with Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund and PSV in the same group. Their match with Arsenal will truly be a French affair as the Gunners have 4 French internationals, while Auxerre has Cisse and Kapo (both in the sqaud against Cyprus) senegalese star Fadiga and the man Jacques Santini snubbed, Jean-Alain Boumsong. I think both matches with Arsenal will be highly entertaining affairs. The squad is young, much younger than any of their opponets. I see Arsenal winningthe group with Dortmund finishing second. It is tough going up against the defedning English and German champions. I do think Auxerre can get third spot and will move into the UEFA Cup. PSV do not look all that intimidating. Cisse of course will have ot carry a lot of weight on his shoulders, but he is not the only rising star on the club (the aforementioned others plus the likes of Teemu Tainio and Benjamin Mwuarwu are definetly gifted players on the rise). I could see a second place finish if they are able to handle the more experienced teams better than what might expect and play well on the road.

RC Lens: Fate has also dealt Lens a wickedly tough draw. With Bayern Munich, AC Milan and Deportivo La Coruna in the group, it will be a struggle. Lens are not impresing in the league so far. They have already lost Diouf, and Ferdinand Coly now seems likely to go Birmingham City. A lot will rest on Dagui Bakari and what kid o a substitute he is for Diouf. Also Lens need Antoine Sibeirski healthy. I say unless Lens gell and show form from last year they will be doomed to finish fourth. Even if they do I can't see a finish higher than third with their depeleted squad.

Olympiqe Lyon: Lyon got the easiest draw of the three French clubs. The squad now has internationals in Eric Carriere, Jeremy Brechet, Gregory Coupet and Sidney Gouvou. Juninho (the real Juninho) must get healthy and I would like to see more of Pegguy Luylindula teaming with Gouvou in attack. Sonny Anderson must show more consistency. The loss of the likes of Marc Viven-Foe hurts, but this is still one of the highest profile teams in France, if not the highest. Rosenborg, Inter Milan and Ajax Amsterdam are in the group. Rosenborg wins my respect but is no threat. I think the defending French champions can beat the the defending Dutch champions. I believe Lyon will finish second here. If Lyon can stay healthy and find the right strike pair as well as shore up defence I could see them possibly winning the group.

What do you all think??

2. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    Well I am very disapointed to say the least. OL In my opinion was the only one of the 3 French teams who could advance far so its fitting they got the easiest group. However I think there is a decent chance they won't advance. You have to figure they finish ahead of Rosenborg but I have no confidence and assurence that they can finish ahead of Ajax and Inter. Ajax has a great history of performing well in Europe and they are the Dutch champions. Sure OL have more talent than them and are better on paper but based on past history of Ajax and the French teams past history you have to favor Ajax. It pains me to say that but I'm not optimistic at all of OL's chances. I don't follow the Italian League so I don't know how good Inter is currently I can only go by past history and it shows that they would be a favorite to advance. I'm hoping and praying OL finishes 1st or 2nd in the group but I'm not confident at all.
    As far as the other two teams go Cisse can't score enough goals to power Auxerre past Arsenal and Dortmund. Maybe they'll finish ahead of PSV I don't know but I wouldnt bet on it. As far as RC Lens go forget about it they have no chance.
    On a releated note I find it pretty insulting than Lens may lose a player to Birmingham City. That team prior to this season hadn't been in the top division in their league for like 16 years. Your trying to tell me that Lens, one of the top clubs in France will lose a player to a bottom half Preimership team ??? I won't accept that. Losing a top player to Liverpool, Man U, Aston Villa etc. I can accept but Lens losing a top player to Birmingham City becuase they don't have the money thats unacceptable. Their huge fansbase should riot against their cheap management.

3. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Lyon will go through.

Lens doesn't have a prayer.

Auxerre, could maybe beat PSV and have to hope for help in displacing Arsenal and Dortmund, if they lose both matches against these two they haven't got a prayer.

4. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    I've been reading other threads about this subject in the UEFA forum and most of the predictions I saw people said Inter and Ajax will go through. Maybe its hatred towards the French or just pure stupidity I don't know I'm just telling you what most of the people here are saying in big soccer.

5. Shah

Shah New Member

Fact is while Lens have a big fanbase, they play in a tiny town. They are no consistently a top French team, have won the title only once, and in the past have been mid table. Birmingham is second fiddle to Villa, but they play in a major city and get more financial backing. Lens seem like the Green Bay Packers of euro football in a way (although Schalke would take exception).