Freedom vs. Beat pregame

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by gousa9, Jul 10, 2003.

1. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hi guys-

i didn't see a thread about this, so i thought i would start this.

basically, i have one question...i was looking forward to the possibility of nicci wright making her WUSA debut this weekend with the abscene of siri w/the USWNT...but it seems like siri did not make the "final" roster for the brasil games.

so should i take it that siri will be starting this saturday?? or is there possibility that nicci might be starting? i remember coach gabarra started his backup keeper a few times last year in certain games etc. what are the odds that nicci might get some time? just curious, because i'm anxious to see her play, and the game will be on up here in canada too.

thanks guys!

elaine

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Where did you read this?

Gabby played Fahey against the Beat. The reasoning behind this was because he felt the taller Fahey would fare well against a taller Beat.

3. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Yeah, where'd you see that she didn't make the final roster. What I saw said Bri, Siri and Pags would be there.

It'd be great for DC if she didn't make the roster, but I believe DC has a lot of faith in Wright.

4. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hhhmm...i got a PR with the roster in my email and did not have siri's name on it, but then just checked the US Soccer site, and her name is there...sorry guys.

5. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    That's okay, it would not have been totally unheard of, just a little surprising, if she wasn't on the roster, what with there being just a few games left to check players out.

6. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I think Siri and Bri are both locks. The question is the third keeper IF there is going to be one. April, I think, may want to have 16 field players and have Mia be the emergency keeper like in 1995.

I think the X factor is the absence of Homare Sawa (Mexico-Japan playoff). She frightens me as much as Parlow and Hooper.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Siri/Nicci
    Skylar Moore Grubb Minnert
    Stealthwhacker Jones
    Jacqui Golebiowski

Hmmm...that leaves me with forwards....
    The new German...is she gonna be healthy enough?

Maybe bring Golebiowski up top and pair L-Squared with Jacqui.

Or?????

Maybe Schott and Beard will get some playing time?

Maybe Freedom can sign my fave player Tracy Milburn to a temp one week contract!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    They're missing Dominguez for the playoff as well. And don't WWC rosters have 20 players, not 18?

9. east coaster

east coaster New Member

One of these Days

Hopefully one of these days someone will figure out Schott is a striker and move her up where she is best! As any player she can be a mid but when are we going to see her at striker, if ever? SHE IS A STRIKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND A D____ GOOD ONE. SHE HAS 2 GAME WINNERS THIS YEAR, 1 @ the ladyhawks 1-0, and one against the Courage 2-1. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see she can help win games. Why isn't she in scoring position? Beats the s---- out of me!

10. walshpt17

walshpt17 New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    TheSoccerShow.com
    This is from the Freedom's website:

For the Freedom, goalkeeper Nicci Wright will get her first WUSA start, and Erin Regan, a developmental player on the roster, will serve as her understudy. Wright, a 31-year-old former basketball player from Canada, is three inches taller than Mullinix and is excellent in the air. She should also be well-versed in her international teammate, Beat forward Charmaine Hooper.

Also said that Meier may get her first start also.

11. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  12. EvWill

EvWill Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Fort Washington, MD
    PAX telecast not in DC area

Canada is so lucky. The D.C. area unfortunately seems out of luck. The Pax stations in the Washington area market (66, 60) are not going to carry the Freedom telecast. The Pax national feed will be pre-empted there for the Orioles 4 p.m. game telecast.

13. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Just got e-mail tho that Summers Restaurant in Arlington, VA will be showing the game LIVE. For all the Freedom fans in the area hopefully you will be able to make it out to Arlington. Thanks to Ron of the Crusaders for that information.

14. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    or not... as ron is now saying on the wusa boards that pax can't pull in the 'national feed.' so it's still up in the air...

unfortunately i'm out of town either way... :(

15. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    C-Moore on Hooper

I wonder why the Hooper/Grubb matchup is the pair to watch... My thought is that C-Moore should take her, mark her out of the game. After such a sucessful season last year doing just that, it would be a great way to make the sides more even.

Does anyone have the numbers for C-Moore vs. Charmaine????

-JT

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I'm still confused at how us folks with DirecTV were suppose to get the PAX feed on the other RSNs.
    :confused:

Or maybe I read his email wrong. Whatever.

---------

From the Saturday Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45055-2003Jul11.html

-------

From the AJC:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/0703/12beat.html

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From Saturday's Washington Times:

Where is everyone?
    By Ken Wright

This will make Elo happy....

I am wondering if that new German is ever gonna play???

18. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: C-Moore on Hooper

The Freedom sicced Carrie on Hooper twice last year. Hooper got past her once for the first goal in the epic 3-2 match late last season but was otherwise shut down.

19. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    thanks kevin. i knew you'd know...

so what the heck jim!!! let's see carrie take on the ass-kicker from the north...

!

20. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Well, I think that those with sattelite SHOULD be able to get the national feed. I get two different channels with PAX - a local NY station and the national PAX channel. They both appear to be airing the game. I think the problem would be for cable folks who ONLY get the local feed in the DC area.

If you have sattelite, I would check your national feed channel (255 on directv, not sure about Dish)

N~

21. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Here's what I don't understand, Howard County (Maryland suburb) Comcast has the O's on channel 14, WNUV. Why would they need to be on both?

If someone could tape the game in the DC area, I'd love to swing by and pick up the tape on Sunday. I have kid-sitting duties this afternoon and evening so I can't go to Summers. I'm really looking forward to seeing Meier play. Thought for sure that it would have been this past Wednesday.

I hope the PAX thing is just a terrible rumor (or doesn't apply to me). Sorry for those it does affect. I guess that I could watch the Revs/Metroscum, but that leaves a gap in my 6-830 viewing (before DCU). Kid-sitting isn't too bad if you have 3 games to watch :)

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Nevermind. I'm getting the game. Never felt that I would be happy to hear Anson :rollingeyes

23. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    And I'm taping the game as I'm in Rehoboth for the weekend. So anybody who can't catch it let me know and we'll work something out.

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

Not this time, IIRC.

25. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    According to comments made during the USWNT/Brazil game yesterday there will be 20.