Freedom Supporters Club: The Next Generation

Discussion in 'Washington Freedom' started by StarCityFan, Sep 4, 2008.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At our inaugural meeting the consensus was for "Freedom Fighters" over "Crusaders," so that's what we're going with.

I still have all the stuff you bequeathed me - in fact I was cleaning up around it this weekend. I should go through it and see what I can use. The table should be handy, but the stitched-together flags banner is going to require a major update!

If you've got anything else you think might be useful, let me know.

In this day and age I'm not figuring on having a print newsletter but am planning on putting together a solid Internet presence. That's still a work in progress, though.

2. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    "Freedom Fighters" was the obvious choice even back in 2001 except for one thing - I didn't want any conflict with the team over rights to using 'Freedom' on any merchandise we made up. Soon after, the team decided to name its premium seat section the Freedom Fighters. Hopefully, this is something you can work out.

I'll see if I have anything here I should send back your way. Cheers, Ron

3. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have the team's blessing for the name "Freedom Fighters."

I think I already have most of the Crusaders stuff, but I'd welcome anything else you find that might be useful. Thanks for your help.

4. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I take it they aren't going to keep the name for their club seats then. Hope there's no problem. I didn't even ask in 2001, just thought I was courting all sorts of problems by producing anything with the word 'Freedom' on it and didn't want to go there.

5. Washington Freedom

Washington Freedom New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Boyds, Md.
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    We talked about the Freedom Fighters name before the club had the first meeting and we knew then we weren't going to use it so when Kevin and the gang decided to name the new supporters group "Freedom Fighters" we didn't mind.

6. freddiedcu

freddiedcu New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kevin et al,

Just looking for a few updates and answers about your Supporter's Club for the 2009 season that is coming up very quickly . . .

Do you know what Section(s) are you thinking about as your location up in Germantown for the games? What about at RFK for the 3 doubleheaders?
    Do you have a name for that area yet?

Any idea of how many "Freedom Fighters" there will be for most games?

Looking forward to an exciting WPS Inaugural season . . . lots of big names jumping into the mix now in the league . . . Marta, Scurry, Chastain, and I hear Abby is doing fantastic in recovering from her injury.

7. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Does anybody know if the LA Sol is selling individual tickets? ( I'm planning on flying to LA for the season opener)...

8. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The folks in charge of the Soccerplex have resolved our dilemma over whether to sit behind the goal or on the east side of the stadium by deciding not to build any seats behind the goal. I'm figuring for now that we'll be at the northeast corner, but I still need to clear that with the Freedom office.

I'm open to suggestions regarding the name.

Too early to answer any of the other questions. I think we have a dozen or so members so far, and I'm sure we'll have more as the team starts getting more attention.

9. freddiedcu

freddiedcu New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Thanks Star City,

I know that some of D.C. United's Supporter's groups (Barra Brava, Screaming Eagles) are interested in supporting the Freedom as well.

They will already be in their regular spots for the doubleheaders that are being planned with both teams at RFK, but they are also interested in bringing groups up to Germantown for a few games.

How can they sign up members for the Freedom Fighters?

Is the group trying to sell tickets for the Opening Game up at the SoccerPlex yet?

10. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other two members of our "executive staff" are members of the Screaming Eagles as well, so I was leaving it to them to liase in that area. I'll check with them about doing more to spread the word.

We haven't gotten involved in ticket sales as yet. We have an advantage of sorts in that the supporters's section will be in an open seating area, so we just have to buy the right class of ticket and just claim it early, rather than making sure all the Supporters have tickets for a specific section.

11. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With training camp starting and the season looming, I think it's high time we had another get-together. We'll discuss a little bit of business, but mostly it'll be a chance to get together with your fellow Freedom fans and chat about everything that's transpired in the past few months: the players, the uniforms, the schedule, and what have you.

When: Thursday, March 5, 7 pm
    Where: Gordon Biersch, 900 F St., NW, Washington, DC (same place as last time)
    Who: Current and potential members of the Freedom Fighters Supporters Club and anyone else who'd like to attend

Please RSVP to me at StarCityFan(at)comcast(dot)net if you're coming so I can tell the restaurant how many to expect. Thanks.

12. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come to the FFFFFFFFF!

Come to the FFFFFFFFF! - the Freedom Fighters Family-Friendly Frauen-Fussball First Fracas* Festival!

Or, in a less tongue-twisting way, it's a viewing party for the WPS inaugural match. Come cheer on the Washington Freedom as they play their first professional match since 2003.

What: Washington Freedom vs. Los Angeles Sol, the inaugural match for Women's Professional Soccer

When: Sunday, March 29, starting at 5:30 pm (game starts at 6)

Where: Kitty O'Shea's, Arlington, VA
    (Directions at http://www.kittyosheasva.com/directions/ )

Who: Anyone not an LA Sol fan who's interested in watching the match.**

RSVP requested but not required to:
    StarCityFan(at)comcast(dot)net

There will be a beer special on the day, details of which will be negotiated with those attending.

Hope to see many of you there!

SCF

*Well, you come up with a synonym for "game" that begins with "F"!

**Or can at least keep their preferences to themselves for 90 minutes.

13. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Re: Come to the FFFFFFFFF!

Fooey.

14. jrevs

jrevs New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    MA & DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This isn't a 21+ event, right? (Actually, just re-read the "family-friendly part, ignore this question)

What's your policy on Breakers fans? Personally, I consider myself a duel fan, but I only have a Breakers T, so its either that, Revs gear, or nothing soccer related!:p

Going to try to come (it will be my reward for finishing my work early)

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No problem with Breakers fans, just with anyone who's going to cheer for Marta or, well, I'm actually pretty cool with the rest of the LA roster. You can even think nice thoughts about ex-Breaker Karina LeBlanc if you want.

16. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    OK, three days till the opener.

We need tunes such as:

Vindaloo [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1pXsJp_go"]YouTube - fat les - vindaloo[/ame]

Wa-shing-ton,
    Wa-shing-ton,
    Wa-shing-ton, Wa-shing-ton, na-naaaaaaaa
    Wa-shing-ton,
    Wa-shing-ton,
    Wa-shing-ton, Wa-shing-ton, na-naaaaaaaa
    We're going to score one more than you!
    Free-dom!!!!!

Or the old faithful, Carneval de Paris [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sohy-MJa6S0&feature=related"]YouTube - Dario G Carnaval de Paris[/ame]

Or something from Boca Juniors? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7naOzlQvU"]YouTube - dale dale boca[/ame]

Oh, da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le Free-dom!
    Oh, da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le Was-hin-gton!
    Oh, da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le Free-dom!
    Oh, da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le da-le Was-hin-gton!

17. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    There's also a song borrowed from the Sex Pistols:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05fno4frbF8&feature=related"]YouTube - This Is How To Support A Football Team[/ame]

I am a Freedom fan
    I'm a Washingtonian
    I know what I want, and I know where to get it
    I want to to defeat (insert team name here)
    Cos I want to be in D.C.

18. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look forward to having you lead us.

19. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    If my garage can fix the electrical problem in my car, I'll make it.

20. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    You sure about that? :p

Good luck in the stands guys!

21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a long time coming, but finally professional women's soccer returns to the DC area, and the Freedom Fighters will be there!

Before the game: We will have a table at the team's Fan Fest where we'll be recruiting members, but feel free to stop by and say hello whether you want to join or not.

During the game: The team has asked us to take over one of the unreserved corner sections and see what we can do to liven it up, so for this match at least the supporters' section will be Section 111, the far right-hand section as you enter the stadium, across from the building next to the field. Any fans interested in engaging in demonstrative and unrestrained support for the Freedom is welcome to join us there.

Any time at all: Feel free to check out our new website at http://www.freedomfighters-sc.com/. You can also sign up there via Paypal if you want.

Hope to see a packed Soccerplex on Saturday. Go Freedom!

22. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

Within reason, of course.

Oh, and I'll be there (with a rental). And, of course, these:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk6CojCsmhw"]YouTube - La Barra Brava - DC 10-16-08 (DC United vs NE Revolution)[/ame]

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe you can get some of DCU's Barra Brava out to the game and do some songs and chants but with Freedom flavor.

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    We'd love one of those big-ass DC flags.

Srdan???

25. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome job with the bagpipes! I loved them! I was on the other side of the stadium and could hear them. KJ even gave you a shout out on one of her "tweets". Hopefully you will bring them every game!