Freedom Success and Soccer in DC [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCUPopeAndLillyFan, Aug 18, 2002.

1. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Re: Re: Re: Freedom Success and Soccer in DC [R]

As there are in my family but we are the exception. My point is, they picked the best time to show soccer games when you have teams on both coasts. They did not pick a time to compete with MLS.

2. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A couple of thoughts:

1) WUSA is on at 4 p.m. not because they're roaring to go head to head with MLS. They got that timeslot because it was the only one they could get, and the slot itself sucks. PAX didn't want a later one because it could spill into prime time, and couldn't get clearance on affiliates for an earlier one (in some markets, the Freedom playoff game wasn't aired in favor of pre-programmed infomercials, for the love of...). They did not CHOOSE to go head-to-head.

2) I find it amusing that many of you hold the ignorance of the press ("The women won the world cup - why can't the men?") against the league. As Anthony said, Foudy never actually said MLS would piggybank on WUSA (at least to my knowledge). She was, however, a crappy color commentator. :)

Anyway, I don't think the Freedom winning will help United much. However, for those of you still dreaming of a soccer-specific stadium, which will be the easier sell: A stadium for 14 soccer games a year or 24-25? Getting SSS becomes much, much easier if WUSA survives.

RS

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two tennants are better than one.