Freedom player contracts and dealings for 2011

Discussion in 'Washington Freedom' started by StarCityFan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There won't be a league this coming year. They're already two teams short of the minimum to get sanctioned by USSF. And I doubt the USSF is going to look highly on a league where team 6 is a homeless rover like Washington's owner wants to make them.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you seem to just show up to watch the car wreck. Do you think you could possibly STFU for at least a day or two? Or maybe try to make it look a little less obvious that you enjoy dancing on a grave.

You know, by posting non-doomsday type things that might illustrate some sort of interest in players or the league other than "ooh, look at the mangled bodies and the mourning fans."

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tried that, my team got moved to a less desirable local and then shut down. So you'll excuse me if I don't exactly care if WPS survives anymore.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you don't care then why the fu^k are you posting so much here. And only when bad sh!t happens? You're clearly just here for the car wreck. STFU and quit celebrating in the ICU. Show some f*cking respect.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Knock it off you two. Please. More antagonism on the boards is not what we need for now. Especially when all your posts are OT. This thread is for player comings and going for the freedom, not for sticking in a random post saying the league won't exist.

1 person likes this.
  6. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    I am hoping the new owner has several friends that desire to buy teams as well. I know many of you think he may be crazy, but maybe he can make it work. Who knows, maybe he will be able to put money toward really promoting the league. I wonder how many people said he was crazy when he came up with the idea for the "magic jack"? Probably tons, before he turned a huge profit. Here's to the new owner to be successful and not give up on a league that most Big Soccer posters want to succeed.

1 person likes this.
  7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upon further consideration, I'm going to start thinking positively about Borislow. He's the sort of deep pockets guy (isn't he a billionaire?) that many WPS fans have hoped might get interested in the league. Perhaps his spitballing ideas to a journo wasn't the best way to introduce himself to the fan base. But if he's got deep pockets, is committed to keeping WPS alive, well, maybe some good can come of it.

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borislow isn't among the latest Fortune 400, which goes down to a net worth of $1 billion. In 2006 he testified that he was worth $70 million.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Then my info on that was wrong.

10. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there anybody out there??????
    I'm starting to feel like real news about the Washington Freedom/magicJack FC/SC is non-existant. Less transparency is not a good thing, IMHO. At least Mark weighed in once in a while. I am very intrigued by the initial announcements, Marta, others, splitting games with Florida and the Plex, but it's been a couple of weeks now and some of the top free agents are starting to be signed by other teams. With CRS ceasing operations in 2011, there is an incredible talent base out there as FAs.
    In my wildest imagination....

Abby and Marta up front, jeez, who do you mark? Throw in Tarpley and Bosio for some pisazz.

In the midfield, Formiga, Christane, Rapinoe, and DiMartino.

And defense including Marshall, Eveland, Sauerbrunn, Dalmy, and Dew.

What fun....

11. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Freedom (i.e., Jennifer Brunson) posted to Facebook that there would be announcements coming shortly. It would be nice to have a coach again.

12. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cat Whitehill to Atlanta. So who's left?

13. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kristi Eveland, Jill Gilbeau, and Christie Welsh waived. Eveland picked up by Sky Blue.

Only players still clearly associated with the team: Abby Wambach, Nikki Marshall, Becky Sauerbrunn, and Erin McLeod.

14. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Christie was coaching in McLean, where Clyde Watson is the technical director.

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm disappointed to lose Eveland, who was a promising young player, but I'm not sure there's room for Welsh or Gilbeau in a six-team league.

16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    All the more reason to get a W-League team in the area. Could pick up a lot of talent in a hurry.

17. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be delighted if the Hendricks were willing to continue to support the Washington Freedom Futures. Don't know if that's going to happen, though. But we might see some familiar faces playing for either the Northern Virginia Majestics (W-League) or the TSC Maryland Pride (WPSL).

18. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Masar still isn't a definite?

19. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing official coming from the Freedom office. Even what I'm reporting is either from Twitter or from other teams that have picked up players. One hopes that that will change this week.

20. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was there any real reason for them clutching onto McCleod? I'd have let her slip in favor of Harris since McCleod was inconsistent at best and is now returning from a long injury .. or try to cash in on Barnie or Solo. ... Not Loyden though McCleod's better than her by a mile.

21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I would certainly have been willing to give Harris a chance. I wonder what Jim would have done if he'd stuck around - he told me early on that he didn't much like using up an international slot on a 'keeper.

22. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is a classic stealth-mode silence before the splash, ala Apple, or other high tech/telecom companies. My hunch is that the big news will launch the team - real name, real location, new GM, new coaches, and a raft of player signings. I expect to hear that name players like Rampone, Cox, Marta, Formiga, Solo, and others have signed and the team has the all-star cast needed to draw crowds across two regionally separated venues.

Stranger things have happened.

23. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I hope you're right. I expect a clusterf***. Hope this guy is really in for more than one season.

24. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009

i wonder if they will make one big announcement on their signings..i hear rampone, box, tarpley, white, masar, dalmy, schnurr

25. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    That would be great - if they play any games in DC . . .