Freedom focus group

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by StarCityFan, Jun 20, 2003.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was posted on the WUSA message board. I know we don't have any opinionated people here, but I thought I'd let you know just in case:

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD! The Washington Freedom has just announced that it will be hosting a focus group on June 30, 2003, from 4:00 - 6:00pm, at RFK Stadium. The purpose of the focus group is to have an informal discussion concerning the Washington Freedom?s advertising efforts thus far this season. The environment will be casual and will promote open and candid conversation. Pizza will be provided for dinner.

The focus group is open to the first 20 people to respond to this posting. THE ONLY REQUIREMENT TO PARTICIPATE IS YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 16 - YEARS OLD. Please note: If you are under the age of 18, we will require written parental consent to participate .

To sign up to be a part of the focus group, send an e-mail to info@washingtonfreedom.com (Subject Line: June 30 Focus Group) and include the following information:

Name
    Address
    City, State, Zip
    Day/Evening Phone
    Date of Birth

The Freedom will confirm in an e-mail that you are among the 20 participants and will provide further details regarding directions and parking. This confirmation will be sent on Thursday, June 26 by 5:00 p.m. We look forward to seeing you on the 30th.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    My friend is going to this. Apparently they still have some room so if you are interested go ahead and email them.

If you cannot make it but have some concerns/ideas/whatever...feel free to post them here or PM me and I will be sure to pass them along to her.

3. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They told me the same thing in the confirmation they sent me, and I signed up really late. So if you want to attend, let them know. Also, they've changed the time to 6-8 pm, so it's less of a conflict for us working folks.

4. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Would anybody who's going to this thing by Metro please PM or email me, thanks.

5. Bombatta2

Bombatta2 New Member

So who is going?

So who is actually going?

And what are you planning to say/ask/complain about?

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: So who is going?

If I get the chance, I'm going to point out that I've asked two young female soccer players of my acquaintance if they're interested in going to a Washington Freedom soccer match, and in both cases the response was "Who?" So they're not even getting through to their core demographic, at least in this area.

7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Re: Re: So who is going?

Maybe you misheard and the response was "with Who?"

:) Sorry couldn't help myself....

8. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    They changed the time?

I am SOOO there.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I know this was originally posted on the Freedom message board over at WUSA.com ..... how come season ticket holders never got wind of this? I took SCF's post and copied and pasted it in an email to three of my season ticket holding friends (that's the only way they knew about this) and one of them is going to this tonight. You'd think the Freedom powers-that-be would want the opinions of their most loyal fans but I guess that ain't the case here. IMNSHO season ticket holders that have bought season tix since the very beginning would be a valuable group that they would want to poke and prod for two hours for this focus group. Didn't the Freedom have over 2,000 season ticket holders in 2001?

I certainly hope this is a well run meeting tonight. I'd hate for an idiot or two to try to dominate the meeting with their endless rants :rolleyes: .........

10. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I have a pretty strong feeling that 1) many of their season ticket holders wouldn't want to venture over to RFK "at night" and 2) I actually doubt that they genuinely want to hear what we are going to say since I figure they aren't going to like it very much...

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I will, of course, be daintily behaved until the jackbooted thugs close in ....

12. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well....that meeting was very insightful tonight...both in how the Freedom have been operating and some of the folks in attendance....

13. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Is someone going to give us a report? I hope so.

14. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    wait... so if you were there who were you? and why didn't you say so?

i'm too tired to write a report or i would... but i think it did have a positive effect...

15. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    From what the agenda showed, and the questions asked, the Freedom obviously were concerned about the future. Props to them to ask what we, the fans, thought.

I don't know if the Freedom brass would like us to fully divulge the contents of the focus group meeting. But I can say that there does seem to be rifts between the casual fan, the "family-oriented" fan, and the soccer fan.

There were sharp disagreements on the level and content of advertising as well as the in-game stuff (which, it was admitted, much less than what Philadelphia does).

I also believe the Freedom want to stay in The District rather than go to the Discovery Center in Germantown.

They also want more adult fans to come. Pass this bit out to everybody: there will be a big-time happy hour in Lot 8 before the Philadelphia Charge game July 9, sponsored by the Washington City Paper. And it is a Singles Match night, too.

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Agreed.