Freedom and FCGP folding

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Druid Squirrel, Oct 31, 2010.

1. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    If the RED STARS go they have nothing. They will lose all media and any form of visibility for market growth.

2. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's a hell of a lot better than Non Existant Soccer League.

I don't see any In and Out Burgers this far out east. I guess the franchise must be an unsuccessful one.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a shame they can still assert they're "Tier 1" when the league probably won't extend any farther west than Atlanta.

4. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Who else in this country is big enough here to make that claim? What other league is on their level in this country?

Haters to the left.

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irony, anyone?

6. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    You were quicker on the draw than me StarCity! ; )

7. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Star change your name to batman..And Sccl will be your damsel in harms way.

Cheerleaders on the right.

8. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    FCGP took a chance...It obviously hoped that the attendance will increase significantly...That didn't happen...

Would any other team take a chance like FCGP did?

I would like to see her play in WPS next season...But...That may not happen...

9. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And if you listen to the interview FCGP GM Ilisa Kessler did with CLS, one of the key negatives was that increased attendance was not happening. From the FCGP forum:

When she gets to the point of discussing the championship game, I think that may have been the point where the owners may have had second of continuing with the team.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly, they drew better at the high school in the first part of the season than they did at Hayward.

11. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What was the difference in capacity? x# vs. y# seats?

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    check the old attendance thread. there's a link in there to a wiki on WPS stadium capacity.

eta: ah. here it is.

some wiki editor moves fast. FCGP is already listed as "former."

And of course, playing at a high school doesn't provide the sorts of amenities for fans that Hayward does in terms of seating, concessions, professional feel, locker rooms, pretty much everything.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4,500 at Castro Valley, 5,000 at Hayward. Problem wasn't the size of the stadium it was the location. The Hayward stadium was a decent way off the highway in the middle of nowhere between Oakland and San Jose. Castro Valley was closer to the highway and was still nowhere but was near a very popular girls soccer area. In the end FC Gold Pride's two biggest mistakes were moving to the east bay from Santa Clara and hiring Marta.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So the WPS may be a east coast soccer league only. It's a shame. I hope an investor steps up for Chicago. We still had one of the highest attendance averages even though we had a losing team both seasons. IMO, we would be on top in attendance if we had winning seasons and made the play-offs.
    The Red Stars have a very good fan base to build on.

IMO, it would be a big shame not to have a team(s) in the midwest or anywhere east of the Miss river in what is supposed to be the "best" league in the world.

I read on individual team threads, the vultures are already out picking at FC Gold Pride and they are circling Toyota Park waiting for CRS to die so they can pick our players. I just hope we keep that from happening.

15. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is kind of off-topic, but the concern is that it didn't seem like an upset. The better team (on the night, at least) won.

16. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thanks for the info.

At least from the GM's perspective, they had high expectations that Marta would increase attendance and attract more sponsors. The Championship attendance was the straw that broke the camel's back. The market was not at the level they hoped to be and didn't see change coming.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sorry to break into the argument, but we've been OT for several dozen posts now. There's an entire of forum for people to go and argue about the viability of the W-League and such. (Also: I think people need to update their 'ignore' lists.... obvious troll is obvious) I would like to see this thread return to any fallout of BAY folding.

18. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I may just use my ignore list soon rather than try to comprehend bizarre personal attacks against Andy, but I thought this point deserved a response:

I would answer this with a question: How many English Premier League teams are west of the Atlantic? And how many people watch the league in the USA?

No, going all-East Coast isn't ideal, but it's not the end of the world, as Columbus proved. (Or Leif Eriksson, or perhaps Brendan the Navigator.) And from yesterday's conference call, we know the plan is to head westward again in 2012. Sure, they'll have a lot of hurdles to clear before that happens, but it's not as if they're giving up.

The point Andy was making on ownership is that you need team owners to have a team. This isn't a league that says, "Oh, we like these cities -- let's put teams there." They look for owners who have the interest and the money to be in the league.

That's not unusual. See NFL, lack of Los Angeles team in.

19. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    The WPS vs W-League argument has moved. Please keep this thread to WPS news and happenings about foldings and 'not' foldings, as the case may be.

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we're back to talking FCGP folding...

I got distracted was it mentioned here that it seems the FCGP GM got about a month's notice that the NeSmiths were pulling out? (there's a new interview where I think she says that) Sure, I guess some businesses don't get that much notice b/f they fold. But that just seems well, more crappy.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Have we heard/read anything from the NeSmiths themselves? I haven't. No statement? No apologies? No thank you's to the die-hard fans that did support the team? Nothing?!

22. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I wonder if the NeSmiths asked Marta to take a big pay cut (from her guaranteed contract) and were turned down. I have nothing to base this on at all; I'm just flumoxed because the NeSmiths seemed to be upstanding owners and then to pull the rug out that fast doesn't add up.

23. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Marta paid by her team a normal player salary, but then Amway and Puma picked up the large remainder?

Also: It will be interesting to see if Amway follows Marta to an East-coast team, and what happens if they don't.

24. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    From what I have been reading the team had to pay at least $400,000 of her salary.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my understanding as well.