Free speech

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by el_urchinio, Jan 4, 2003.

1. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Why do so many people hate it?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/01/04/mummers.parade.ap/index.html

I'm especially bothered by this part:

Philadelphia Mayor John F. Street said Friday that he thought the skit was offensive, but that there wasn't much he could do to stop it.

"I am personally offended by this and regret that under the Constitution I am limited by what I am able to do about it"

So what this tösser is saying is that he wishes he could suspend the Constitution in any situation where he's personally offended. And here I thought free speech was actually a good thing.

2. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not really...the above quote is a good example of free speech itself, isn't it? Forgetting for a moment that you disagree with him.

3. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So any of those scumbag priests, hopefully getting it as good as they gave it, in prison yet?

4. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Re: Re: Free speech

You're missing the point. What scares me is that a man holding a significant amount of power in a fairly large city in the US would say that he'd like nothing more than to suspend the Constitution and make decisions as he sees fit. This is as bad as him saying he'd kick all the _insert minority group_ out of the country if he could. It's almost a threat rather than a statement.

5. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    What outsiders may not know about John Street is that he's the most ************ing crooked mayor this side of Buddy Cianci.

Alex

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better that he's complaining about what he can't do, rather than just doing it.

7. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Unfortunately the mummers backed down.... so we'll never now how willing the major was to suspend freedom of speech.

8. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    Where do you get the idea that the guy wants to suspend the Constitution? He said he'd like to forbid this sort of thing, but can't. That means he's abiding by the law of the land, regardless of his inclinations.

Makes him a better man than our President, anyway.