Free Money for All!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MattR, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or people who are productive will have enough to eat.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That's why "the Senate needs to SNEAK IN some more unemployment and food stamp benefits".

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The purpose of the stimulus package isn't to increase productivity. It's to increase spending. Please explain why extending unemployment benefits and giving out more food stamps will not increase spending.

4. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So only people capable of working hard deserve to have enough to eat?

5. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Not quite...here is a better way to put it. Those capable of working hard but refuse to do so deserve to not have enough to eat.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The purpose of the stimulus package isn't to increase productivity or increase consumer spending. It's to pander to constituents.

7. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you hear me say that? I said that people who are productive will have enough to eat. Dannytoone did a nice job of spelling it out a little more clearly for us.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The threat of starvation would encourage more productivity. I figure, if they can't find a job, let them starve. That sounds very American to me. Just like baseball and apple pie, that idea. Well, apple pie for the productive.

As for unemployment benefits, they are for a limited amount of time. It's not like people laze around on their couches, indefinitely collecting huge sums. The idea behind extending unemployment benefits is to prop up people who are having trouble finding a job, and allow them to continue pumping money into the economy along with all the "productive" folks.

9. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. That's incredibly common.

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what about the inverse of that? Those who aren't capable of being "productive." They get to starve?

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, I had that thought as well. Now I work in a level 2 (out of 5) prision (non-violent, average stay is about 7 months) and the number of inmates who would rather steal/sell drugs/etc. than work is significant. Part of the factor is that they don't have jobs available to them. Now there are all sorts of arguements about moving to the jobs, etc. But when one lacks the confidence to live a responsable life in a single location, what makes you think they will move to the jobs, etc.?

I would also argue that most of these guys are physically able and mentally able to work, but are social retards which renders them unable (and, subsiquently has landed them in prision). Do these people not deserve to eat?

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. I think Eddie Johnson deserves to starve.

:D

13. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I love free markets:D

14. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    correct.

Sorry, you aren't going to find much sympathy for them from me.

15. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it when 7th graders try to philosophize.

And I love it even more when they try to talk economics.

Next up: "Why Spiderman would totally kick Batman's ass".

16. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's easy. Spidey has super powers and Batman is just a guy with a fancy belt and a boy toy.

17. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All we are is dust in the wind, dude.

18. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Dimas High School Football Rules!!!!!!!!!11

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if "D-O-G" really spells "cat?"

20. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I never would have guessed that you would relate well to 7th graders!

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This again proves my point that libertarians hate efficiency. First, would you rather that people be robbed, criminals be policed, and jails be built rather than offer some cheap support that prevents all three? Second, wold you really want the worst 4% of people doing jobs? The 4% least able to show up, the least able to do tasks, the least able to follow rules? It would hurt the economy more to have them working than not.

You have to remember that civilization was designed for man, but man was not designed for civilization. We are animals, and we have that wide variability that serves species in the wild. A variability that happens to be wider than can be absorbed by the confines of civilization. And if your only option for those people are harassment and deprivation, then they won't see a problem in taking that civilization down. It happens all the time, and don't think it can't happen here.

22. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    sorry, but you are going to have to prove that giving a criminal food stamps will make him significantly less likely to steal or murder. Somehow, I don't think you are going to find it. If that were the case, New Orleans would be a bastion of peace and rule of law.

Second, your argument that it would be worse to have them working than not is absolutely ridiculous, from nearly every economic perspective out there. Even shitbrains provide economic benefit when they work, no matter how much less capability they have.

23. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to be one many years ago, after all. If you never got that far in school, I could see why you'd never be able to remember what it was like to be able to relate.

And remember: wherever you go, there you are.

24. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all libertarians hate efficiency although even the most thoughtful make several errors in reasoning about politics and economics. Glibetarians like danny (ie. dorm-room bullshit "libertarians" who just mouth the catchphrases and talking points without any understanding of their larger implications) are probably closer to your description although most of them would even balk at jails because then they'd have to pay taxes for police, the jails, the guards, the prisoners' food, etc. So basically glibertarians hate civilization because they think it costs too much.

Glibertarians -and even libertarians to a slightly lesser extent- just can't seem to grasp the concept of enlightened self-interest. Somewhere along the way, they lose the "enlightened" bit. They also don't recognize the Law of Unintended Consequences and therefore cannot understand how their ideas would lead to the exact opposite of liberty.

25. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No silly, he wants them dead. He wants them out of the way. They aren't convenient so we should just let them starve to death so we don't have to deal with them. It's a special kind of coldness embodied by my boss who regularly refers to the homeless as "human trash" even though if he hadn't inherited his money, he'd be right out there with them because he's borderline retarded. But I digress.