Free Money for All!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MattR, Jan 24, 2008.

1. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep - I'm no economist, but by my calculations they are running out of room to manuever, with perhaps only 3 or 4 more rate cuts possible, what are they gonna do when the Dow keeps going down?

I can see it now - "After previous failures to stimulate economy, Republicans and Democrats reach agreement on $1,000,000 rebate check plan for all Americans. Checks should arrive just in time for Christmas shopping season."

2. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they will, but this will help pay down my debt. Damn student loans are going to whip my ass in a few months.

I'm putting my money in your company.

3. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to sound really bad, but this money is welcome in my home because I'm not going to get a raise at work this year. Thank you, new CEO....and old CEO for that matter.

4. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I just don't understand the logic in politicians using deficit spending to 'help' americans who used too much deficit spending to fuel their lifestyles...

5. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Wingtips is great at finding a way to blame poor people for ev-ery-thing.

6. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Theoretically, since it comes out of the Treasury, it does come out of your taxes, but you shouldn't have to claim the $600 bucks on your tax return as income.

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Redistribution of wealth.

8. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Free Money for Some!

It's not free money. My wife, two kids, and I are paying for it since we won't get jack squat. Thank you cards aren't necessary.

And it's not a "rebate" if you're not paying income taxes in the first place. It's a gift.

9. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I switched a big chunk of my money into Canadian dollar when it was around $1 USD=$1.25 CAD. But I did switch it back at $1 USD=$0.90 CAD. It probably will stay around parity.

I don't trust any international market beside China but unless you got in when Shanghai Index was at 2,000, things are too expensive and cannot sustain short and mid term. But long term to load Chinese blue chips if Shanghai drops to 3000-4000 range is great.

Oh, also loaded the houses in mid size of cities in China. Not Shanghai and Beijing where properties are ready to drop.

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going to stimulate the economy by spending my check on hookers and drugs.

11. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're talking Nevada hookers and Meth, because those are good-old made in the USA options.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, odds are you're going to contribute to the trade deficit and give jobs to illegal aliens.

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buy American! Send me a PM if you want to know how.

14. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For 2005, the top 10% of US taxpayers provided over 70% of federal income tax revenue.

Percentiles Ranked by AGI - AGI Threshold on Percentiles - Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid​

Top 1% - $364,657 - 39.38%​
    Top 5% - $145,283 - 59.67%​
    Top 10% - $103,912 - 70.30%​
    Top 25% - $62,068 - 85.99%​
    Top 50% - $30,881 - 96.93%​
    Bottom 50% - <$30,881 - 3.07%​

Note: AGI is Adjusted Gross Income
    Source: Internal Revenue Service​

It looks like the bottom three quarters needs to write a "rebate check" to the top one quarter.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an "economic stimulus" package, not a "fatten rich people's wallets" package. I'm pretty sure it's not really going to work, but giving money to people who will spend it rather than stick it in the bank will have a better chance at kicking the economy in the butt. "Trickle down" doesn't work; that's pretty well established by now.

16. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a proponent of trickle down. I'm a proponent of people being able to benefit from their own good choices.

A better fiscal policy would be to take the $150 billion rebate checks and rebuild some of America's physical infrastructure. Instead, they'll spend it on cheap plastic crap.

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm happy to accept the government's money but I hope the Senate manages to sneak in some more unemployment and food stamp benefits.

18. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody I work with plans on spending that money as soon as they get it. And it's not going to be used on credit card debt. At least in my little world, it's going to go right back out to the economy. For myself, I'm getting ready to take the family to Hawaii next month. This money is a welcomed surprise since my corporate overlords have decided the screw the whole company this year.

19. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a shortage now? What is your ultimate goal in how much food assistance and unemployment benefits should be doled out?

I hope if that unnecessary nonsense comes up that this whole package is filibustered until it is tabled. Food stamps and unemployment are not economic stimulants.

20. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they just help people survive.

21. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wouldn't they be?

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not really a justification for needing more then we currently have.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because neither increases productivity. Matter of fact, they discourage it.

24. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Maybe they should merge all the Romney, Hillary and Bush threads.

25. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would maintain that people who have enough to eat are going to be more productive.

Also, what's the difference between tax rebate money spent by a working person, and unemployment benefits spent by a non-working person? They both have the same effect on the economy. It's not like the rebates proposed in the stimulus package somehow encourage people to work harder.