Free Kick Spray Paint

Discussion in 'Referee' started by law5guy, Jan 14, 2009.

1. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Doesn't a yellow card weigh less than 115 grams?

2. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001

That's my thought as well.

Looks like Pablo had a 'castrati' referee in that game and looked for a way to help him out. lol

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at MLS or EPL.

How many quick free kicks do you think they could take 30 yards out?!!?

4. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Instead we should just spray that foul-smelling/tasting stuff that you spray at a cat or a dog to change it's behavior. You can also buy cap-stun in much smaller bottles than are available in spray-paint.

5. jkc313

jkc313 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    And what makes the inventor of the spray think a referee that didn't book anyone in a wall 3 meters away would book someone because he violated the spray zone. I thought we were supposed to know what 10 yards was and as some on you say, the yellow card weighs a lot less than the paint.

6. boylanj64

boylanj64 Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And from the sounds of it, he tried to take a quick restart with the opponents three yards away, it wasn't even ceremonial, so the ref may well have been right not to book anyone.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why this isn't more widespread really. Seems like a great idea.

8. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    A better idea is to do our job and apply the LOTG, and not turn DR and FRD into a specticle involving spray paint...

9. boylanj64

boylanj64 Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, the whole thing seems stupid. I rarely see walls start creeping forward and if they do I have no problem chewing them out royally the very first instant. It doesn't happen again, and certainly doesn't require spray paint.

As for encroachment on quick restarts, this spray does NOT deal with that, and the only way to address that is for referees to have the courage to caution what is blatant gamesmanship. It might seem like a soft caution, but once you draw your line in the sand players will generally take heed.