FREE CRYSTAL DUNN!!!

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kolabear, Aug 12, 2021.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a fairly dismal performance in the Olympics, the US still managed to earn bronze but also showed, rather unmistakably, that there needs to be some fresh blood in the squad on both the offensive side and the defensive side. Even our vaunted midfield looked off.

Naturally, as fans, we're giddy to be pushing our favorite young players with blazing speed or fancy footwork or spectacular goal-scoring records on their college resumés.At the same time, we're nervous — are they really ready to replace these legends who've accomplished so much on the world stage?

So we shouldn't overlook that the US has a superb attacking player, a proven star, simply hiding in plain sight on the team already: Crystal Dunn.

We have had the incredible luxury of having a world-class attacking midfielder and being able to have her be a world-class left back where we would otherwise be weak. It's a move which has worked well for an entire World Cup cycle. But she's tired of it. Understandably, so. It must be a grind, to play such a demanding position in the demanding way we need her to, when it isn't her position most of the year with her club team.

Many of you have read the excellent article that Jonathan Tannenwald wrote back in February. Even if you have, it's worth reviewing as we start playing our favorite fan game of replacing old stars on the national team with our favorite new players.

Dunn can play the wing. She gets so far up the field, she winds up doing that in sequences, but only to have to run all the way back to her defensive position.

We even saw during the Olympics we weren't as overstocked in the midfield as we assumed. With Sam Mewis playing poorly by most people's estimation, Horan and Lavelle seemed overworked. In Lavelle's case, some of us saw it as a likely concern just because she hasn't been the most durable player, hasn't shown she can handle playing 90 minutes in back-to-back games with only two days rest in between.

The time has come.

Free Crystal Dunn

Heeligan2, sitruc and Smallchief repped this.
  2. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    I don't know. As much as Dunn is on the attack, which is very often, I've not seen her be spectacular with crosses or really even shots and she's had plenty opportunities at both from an overlapping defensive position. Unless you're talking about running her at the 9 rather than a wing. Yea, she has great stop and go ability and foot control but I would guess, without looking up stats, Kelly O'hara has as many assists from her Overlapping play than Dunn.

Hard for me to like Crystal right now because her play in the Olympics was not very good.

3. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Crystal Dunn and Sergino Dest…basically the same thing to me. I mean, I completely get the logic in having them in defensive roles to run up and down the flanks to get into the attack, but I sure would love to see them in a 3 game stretch where they play solely offensive roles……..just to see.

RalleeMonkey repped this.