Freddy Adu's chances for 2006WC

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by pc4th, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "What are the chances of a girl like me and a guy like you getting together?
    Not good
    Like 1 in a hundred?
    Like 1 in a million.
    So you're saying there's a chance....I gotcha..." - LLoyd

I think the same applies to Adu with the WC06.

2. scoonie45

scoonie45 New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Georgetown
    He didnt set the world on fire in MLS? He's FIFTEEN YEARS OLD. I don't think any of us can make an accurate guess at what his development will be. This is not a 23 year-old gaining another year of experience. He's just an adolescent kid who, for all we know, could improve by leaps and bounds now the the circus is no longer focused on him, and he has 30+ games under his belt. I'd say its 50-50, and anyone who guesses either way is going out on a limb.

3. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he still growing? Did he grow any since his highly-publicized signing? I guess if he shows up to camp next year for DC and is suddenly 5-11 then people will finally shut up about his age...

4. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Eddie Gaven 7 goals 7 assists in 2578 minutes

Freddy Adu 5 goals and 3 assists in 1440 minutes

5. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    His chances rest 100% on his play in the upcoming MLS season. Unfortunately everyone here knows 0% about what he will do in the upcoming MLS season.

For this reason any further threads regarding his chances should probably wait until we actually have something to discuss.

6. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    I believe the Post said he grew an inch and put on 10 pounds or so this season.

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    i dont think he has a chance. there are too many players taht play all his positions. so there

8. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    This silly thing again. And yet I reply to it....

If you just took the best US players, he wouldn't make it. But if you want a role player for late-game offensive spark, he might make it. Arena seems to like matchups and tactics, so I think he has a pretty good chance.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You're the only one talking about that subject, actually. This is another invented enemy, along with the people who want Bruce Arena fired.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but I firmly believe the US to be closer to Brazil level at present than Adu is to Pele level.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt it in the slightest. UAB is overrated and it's a home game for Hawaii.

12. csh2000

csh2000 New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Chicago
    The underage drinking thing is pretty unique.

13. kris

kris New Member

Nov 26, 2004
    anybody watch sky sports news? they had a 2 minute bit on this subject. Freddy saying he's going to work his ass off to get to the World Cup in 2006. He also said to the interviewer that he wants to go to a big European team and "it's between Manu and Chelsea". Freddy getting ahead of himself again...

14. Pure Violence

Pure Violence New Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Freddy Adu is a hyped American excuse for a soccer player. He is pure garbage and he will be forgotten after he shows that he is pure garbage.

15. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Oh, thank you so much, Pure Violence. Now that you've told us what will happen, we won't have to get our hopes up now.

Thanks again, pal.

16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, so does that make the question: will a 35-year-old Freddy Adu still be good enough to play in qualifying matches for WC2026???

17. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Was Pele getting looks a year before the 58 WC? Pele also played a big part in that WC. Adu's behind, that might just mean that he rides the bench instead of knocking a couple in. I'm thinking it'll be close. It's really hard to tell either way.

18. Pure Violence

Pure Violence New Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The USA will call him up. They have to promote him as much as possible.

19. Jacque_s

Jacque_s New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Very small. We have many players who are better and more experienced than Adu.

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont mind the troll, if you dont look directly at them their lives become meaningless and they fade away.

21. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago

I think he is 18 and not that good. He may get better, but we have a lot of small players who are better than him at his position, at least for now. I hope he dramatically improves but I doubt it.

That's What It's All About.....

22. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like its not about very much with you.

23. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Freddy always says the same thing on TV "That's what it is all about."

I don't think he is 15, never did. He hasn't grown at all in the past year. If he was really 14, he would be growing like a weed.

24. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
  25. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    they said he grew an inch this season, thank you

btw, do you happen to know the names of the other18 year olds besides gaven that had over 19 points this season?