Freddy Adu's chances for 2006WC

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by pc4th, Dec 4, 2004.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already seen what he can do in his first season, so the questions are:

what is his chance of getting a call-up next year?

and

What does Freddy need to do in 2005 in order to get a call up from Arena and maybe get a spot on the 2006 roster?

In other words, what does he need to improve upon...etc...

Right now, I don't think he will make the roster because there are a lot of American players who are better than him. He needs to play a lot better next year in order to get a call up. Of course, I might be wrong, he might be there for the 'marketing/publicity' factor.

2. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

He's going to have to win a starting spot on DC, probably on the wings. If he could average a goal and an assist every 4 games, that would help his chances.

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    There's no chance he'll be called up next year. He needs to play every week in MLS, and the qualifying games are too important to throw him in there. The Gold Cup is during MLS, and there will only be a handful of friendlies, used to prepare for the qualifying games. If he has a good season, I would guess he would get a chance to play in early 2006 in a few friendlies, and if he impresses, he still could make the World Cup team.

4. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    i agree.. he needs to have a big 2005 yr.. get some friendlies late 2005/early 2006 and hopefully he impresses to make it as supersub role in 2006 wc.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Destroy the one ring in the fires of Mount Doom.

6. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Stop making these idiotic threads, PLEASE! What is wrong with you people?
    Here's another thread that was just started in the US News and Analysis.
    Adu for USA part 48

Stop the madness :eek:

7. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    LOL - Priceless.

BTW - Who will be his close man/boy "companion" who helps him succeed.
    Does Dema have a tender strong heart?

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    He's just misunderstood.

9. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Adu - I can't go on Dema. BA won't let me.

Dema - You may not be able to get there on your own, but I can sure carry you Mr. Adu.

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Starting, 8-10 goals, 12-15 assists. That sort of season could get him a couple friendly callups in early 2006. He's a longer shot than Beasley was, but I suppose if the planets align he could be a bench choice.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zero. That's his chance. Wouldn't that have him with a younger World Cup debut than Pele? It doesn't matter how many commercials he's in with Pele, let's not confuse the two.

12. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    That sort of season would put him in the MLS first XI team since he's going to be a midfielder. I say he needs to be a legit MLS all star which will best be shown by playing 90 minutes nearly every game and contributing to DC's sucess with all-around play.

13. wrightcor

wrightcor New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Maryland
    His chances are very very small. He needs to crack D.C.'s starting line-up and play consistent on a regular basis before he even has a prayer.

14. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island
    agreed. why do you people want him on the team so much. he has plenty of years ahead of him...

15. csh2000

csh2000 New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Chicago
    My guess is that he won't play in qualifying unless we clinch early and he has a strong season in MLS and is called up for a late qualifier after the U.S. has clinched.

As far as making the final squad, Beasley and Mastroeni didn't play in qualifying (Beasley played the at Trinidad game after we had clinched) and both went to Korea, so that could leave the door open for Freddy to pull off something similar if he has a strong 2005 MLS season... but it all comes down to showing it on the field with his club team. He had five goals this year and appeared in every game? That's a good foundation to build on, but let's see him as a regular starter going 90 minutes and having an impact throughout before we talk about him playing in the World Cup.

16. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Lets also not confuse the USA with Brazil.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He already has an element that LITERALLY nobody else in the US pool has. Why is it so unthinkable that he'll whittle away at all of his weaknesses and be picked as a role player? Who, in the whole entire pool, would you rather have running at a tired defender late in a 1-1 match? Nobody.

Now, I still wouldn't want him out there, because for his one great strength, it doesn't make up for his weaknesses enough to even fill this role. You'd give up a bit of close control and dribbling to get better play without the ball.

But what if he addresses those weaknesses? He'll get his chance if he does.

18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Everyone is talking about his play. The first thing before he can be considered even a top MLS player and National team player is he has to grow up and physically mature. If he does it quickly all the better. If his body doesn't do it quickly he won't. He was listed at 5-8 145 but was prabably closer to 5-7 135. He couldn't ride tackles got pushed off the ball way to often and his speed is an immature speed not knowing when to use it an when not to. His body type is solid so if this winter he adds an inch or 2 and 15-20 pounds of natural body mass he could get a chance if his soccer play improves incrementally. Right now too many ifs and variables for him to be seriously considered anytime soon. Could happen but likely no.

19. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about freddy adu's chances of appearing in one million of these similar "What are his chances?" threads by 2006.

20. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    0 and I hope it stays that way for another 20 years until he proves his worth. All he is is a kid with protential. Everyone makes a fuss over him because of what he did in the U-20 and below levels, but he didn't exactly light the world on fire in the MLS.

21. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What is this element that you talk about? Being a media whore?

22. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island

hawaiis gonna roll the ******** over uab in the hawaii bowl bitch!!!

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the ability to cause Burn fans to go apoplexic.

24. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :rolleyes:

Did you think of that all by yourself?

25. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    He needs at least a 12-goal, 25-point MLS season.