Freddy Adu is Back!!!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SweetLife, May 17, 2011.

1. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <DudeMode>Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man</DudeMode>

To expand: While I would concede Mike's talents were more immediately useful in for many tactical schemes, including Bob's, I do not think that in any way proves MB is per se a better player than Adu, let alone "much" better.

In any case the paths of their careers do seem to be converging as far as their current prospects go, so the events of the next few months will surely add a lot of new fuel for this debate :)

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proof:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBcy2bStHto"]‪Crossbar: Freddy Adu vs. Michael Bradley‬&rlm; - YouTube[/ame]

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Are you a Bieber or Montana fan? Talk about opinions. At least they have some real club facts to back them up. A bit more than just your, eh duh, opinion. Well, a much better/larger sample. That's for damn certain. Not even close.

Look, I don't give a s**t who is better. I want all of our players to succeed, I just don't have the emotional baggage most here do, and won't ignore reality.

Their paths aren't even close to converging yet on club level. All in your head. If MB stays on the bench at BMG and doesn't transfer/play , and Freddy actually starts playing somewhere then by Jan toss it out there. It would fuel a debate then.

Until then it's typical over speculation and projection by Adu heads. Never fails.

I am saddened and disgusted to see folks try and belittle a US player who has actually impressed many scouts, coaches and fans over the years. He has done it be play, not youtube clips.

This BS about BB, his system and Freddy is even more pathetic. It's been gone over a million times so it is impossible to think you are anything than a Bieber or Montana fan if you so aptly ignore reality.

I wish them both well, but damn this sad.

A US players worst sin? Besides being a coaches son? Prove yourself constantly and earn playing time at your clubs, be wanted, be good enough to be given shots, but not be a world class player.

Only guys who don't play all of the time, aren't being clamored for deserve that respect here.

The guys who have done the least get the most love.

It's why it's hard to respect many US fans in any way.

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't respect Boca booting it a lot being slow and getting manhandled at times. But you are right; he has had a good career.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Exactly. Coaches found value in him and he kept getting jobs, and more importantly quality playing time/responsibility at those jobs. Multiple coaches. His sin? Not being top class.

Guys who never play, barely play, haven't proven much get more respect then him. It's pretty repugnant actually. Like I said...emotional issues out there that are pretty damn pathetic.

Even with BB. I was never keen on him. Wanted him out before the CC last cycle, thought this cycle was a big mistake, but I'm not gonna lie and make s**t up about him either/ignore the facts because I'm a Bieber/Montana head.

It's not like we are raining solid mid level pros who play all of the time in Europe.

Well, we are in some minds...it's just the coaches don't want them or play them over there. They are all wrong.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^THIS. There is a lot of things a national team manager can do. But he can't improve the skill level of the players and/or coach their club careers.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For a defender developed in the US system..........more than a good career. One of the most accomplished American defenders in history. He's obviously not the player he was 10 years ago, so people dump on him. But hey, they did the same to Eddie Pope.

To bring it back to Freddy (as everything must)......................let's remember that Boca's pro career started when he was drafted by the Fire as a 21 year old out of UCLA. That's basically the same age as Freddy, who just turned 22.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American players still peak later than their international counterparts and that probably won't change for a while.

When people post inane things like "I'm done with so and so. He'll never be anything" I think that shows a woeful understanding of the american player.

9. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you update yourself on MB's club situation. MB will be fortunate to see the bench... Here let me help you out: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24017476#post24017476

Talk about typical. This is a typical overreaction by so-called "defenders" of Bradley anytime someone even suggests he isn't absolutely world class. Please explain to me in which twisted fantasy world does this statement constitute belittling: "I do not think that in any way proves MB is per se a better player than Adu, let alone "much" better." ? :confused:

And talk about projection :rolleyes: Disagree about the assessment if you will, but don't use a supposed nepotism-related bias as a refutation of a differing opinion. Fact is, the nepotism argument is easily used just as much by pro-Bradley posters to belittle posters who dare hold a different opinion about his quality relative to other players as it was ever used by anti-Bradley posters.

Does MB have a stronger club-resume than Freddy? Undoubtedly. Is there proof one is better than the other? NO. But in a thread called "Freddy Adu is Back!!", and which turned out to be quite prophetic for the subsequent events, you shouldn't be shocked to find opinions which differ, and you sure as shit don't need to pull the nepotism card on someone who does not share your belief that MB is head and shoulders above Adu.

P.S. Your intimation that I am the immature one by asking if I am a Bieber or Montana fan is pretty ironic :D

10. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anytime Zoidberg or that other guys Skewwhatever comes in here, this topic goes off hand. I think certain members who tend to troll whenever a player is mention should be barred from posting in those types of threads. You would rarely see me in a Michael Bradley thread posting. Why? I am not a fan of him, I don't think highly of him, and I just don't think he is good. Does it make it right for me to push that on everyone in a MB thread? No, so I don't. Some of you should take heed.

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you think that a youtube clip is a tell tale sign of who is the better player?

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Jozy put a #blessed at the end of his tweet earlier today so clearly that means Jurgen called him in for the friendly. I know Jozy already stated he wasn't going to be there but that #blessed part of his tweet obviously means he will be there! I just can't understand what else that would refer to.

14. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It can be a point of evidence... of course it helps if the players are, you know, playing. In any case, I know that if we ever have a dead-ball situation where hitting the crossbar will get us a goal I'll be the first to call for MB to take it over Freddy :D

But given the current rules of soccer, I'm willing to bet more youtube clips can be found of dangerous/goal-scoring Adu free-kicks than can be be found for MB. I'll leave that as an exercise for... well, Blustar probably ;)

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think it's case closed evidence that Bradley is a superior player in every way. Youtube clips don't lie.....:rolleyes:

16. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To continue on this hypothesis, the tweet could still mean "talked to Jürgen":
    - Jürgen calls Freddy and tells him he's planning with him and believes Freddy can contribute to the team. Freddy tweets "blessed" and tells Jozy in private "Dude, Klinsmann called me personally to talk to me about my future!"
    - Jürgen calls Jozy with a similarly positive conversation. Jozy tweets "blessed" as his own reaction.

2nd hyptothesis: Both have talked about the change and both are just as thrilled as many of the Anti-Bob/Pro-Klinsmann contingent here are, and post "blessed" based on prior agreement.

Note that neither of these hypotheses stipulates they got called for this game, as only Freddy would still be excited about being called up for the USMNT, and Jozy has confirmed he is NOT going.

17. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: you see? Until this post, I wasn't sure if you were joking :eek:

18. cultureman

cultureman Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Well said. Infact, a whole lot of us should take heed. We don't have to tear down our players to make a point.

19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe he was just baptized.

20. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I approve of these messages.

21. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Klinsmann did say whoever he didn't talk to yesterday he would talk to today. When a professional soccer player has a twitter account to communicate with soccer fans who are following him because he's a prominent soccer player, during transfer season, under a brand new NT coach, there is just the slightest chance that ambiguous tweets might be, you know, soccer related. It's not really "insane" to speculate about that.

22. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you forgotten? It's insane to speculate anything positive about Adu's future, because as we were told so many times: "He's just not good enough" :rolleyes:

23. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    His play in the Gold Cup semi and final is on youtube, so I guess it doesn't count.

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    SoccerInsider Steven Goff
    Hearing that @FreddyAdu11 has been called into #usmnt camp for MEX friendly. He never rejoined Benfica for preseason, awaiting move #blessed

Yeah, I added that last word.

25. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think. Chivas not only commands but did strike a difficult kick with great photo-alergenic success. Mexico and its Mexicans are taking over the world!!!!!!!