Freddy Adu is Back!!!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SweetLife, May 17, 2011.

1. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vOgDNQKSak"]YouTube - Freddy Adu vs Samsunspor[/ame]

2. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has helped a team which has a chance to be promoted to the Turkish first division. He is playing 90 minutes and based on form I don't see how he can be left out of the Gold cup line up!!

3. strangepup

strangepup Member

Mar 17, 2007
    LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Freddy get a chance. He is an exciting player and I hope he has found a home in Turkey.

4. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is going to be great...glad to see he's getting consistent minutes.

5. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he keeps the form up for the next couple weeks, I don't see the harm in bringing him in. Although he seems to be contributing alot for his team, we must keep the level at which he's playing in mind and therefore temper our expectations with regards to what kind of an asset he can be right now on the international level...

6. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YEEEEEEEEEES! Adu stylin' on rec league comp. I think Adu will be the answer to Holden's absence dis summer. Usually on FM I play Torres and Adu together, works all the time; joga bonito and everything!!!

:rolleyes:

7. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on Form! Can't keep changing the finish line.

8. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something seems wrong about this..

But I'm glad he played 90 minutes.

9. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Glad to see he can still backheel the ball :D

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    If he gets brought in that's fine. It would peak my interest at least, but I think there are better options for guys who will see a lot of time in preliminary games and maybe not as much towards the knockout rounds (Spector in midfield, Mix).

Those 2 guys are still young as well (hard to believe about Specs isn't it?!), and are also interesting and likely better players.

11. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Freddy versus Mix is an interesting question. Mix is a little over a year younger. But which has been more productive in recent months? It seems that the level of play of their teams is not too different. I suspect in the end neither will make it, with Kljestan getting the last midfield/withdrawn forward spot. Bob loves guys like Sacha who run run run, even if their play is not exactly tidy,

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Would hate to see Adu brought in. I'm hoping he gets his team promoted and is able to get a full pre-season there or somewhere for the first time in years. I'd love to see him get some continuity in his club situation.

Nice Freddy article.

He's been productive at Benfica, Aris, and Rizespor from a goal creation standpoint. Since the start of the Aris stint his game has been looking more complete in terms of the 'little things'.

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu has actually improved his game. He has a right foot now and he is more tactically aware.
    It would be a dream cometrrue for Rize to get promoted, but even then I have my doubts aabout Freddy getting them opportunity to say there. He will definitely be playing 1st division ball somewhere this fall, though.

That would be prime time to get him in camp and some friendlies.

14. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Logical.

Adu would be competing for a reserve attacking mid or second striker role. There are perhaps 3 spots on the roster of 20 field players -- two substitute attacking mids and one sub second striker. He would be competing with Feilhaber, Diskerud, Bedoya, Kljestan, and maybe Spector as an attacking mid substitute. He would be competing with Agudelo and Gomez as a second striker sub. The odds are against him for the Gold Cup, as most of those 7 players are still ahead of Adu on the depth chart for those 3 potential spots.

But I'm very pleased that Adu is starting regularly for a club; that is the big hole in his resume the last 4 years. It's time for Adu to actually HAVE a professional career, rather than bouncing around searching for one. If he can do it, I see no reason why he cannot jump past all 7 of the players I noted above during the next couple of years.

15. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    FL
    God, not this again

16. PTS21

PTS21 Member

Sep 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it so many times I hurts. I still can't understand how we can't figure out how to use the most skilled player in our pool. Sure his overall game isn't perfect but every time I've seen him play, he's creates scoring opportunities regardless of the opponent.

I don't think his skills work well with Bob's system. That might be the issue and another reason I wish we had a different manager.

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1614...rning-to-mls-wouldnt-be-easy-and-i-would-like

“The one thing that Bob told me in training in 2009 that he was spot on was I’d make a couple of plays and that I am satisfied with myself, I feel like I’ve had a great training session but there is so much more to it than that like working hard concentrating doing the little things,” Adu says.

“Bob always touched on doing things as a unit and that’s what you really have to concentrate on,” he says.

Stupid Bob. Always asking guys to work hard for 90 minutes as a team and focus on the little things.

18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ...stupid Bob doesn't know YouTube clips aren't enough!

I'll keep saying it, and I don't give a damn whose precious little feelings get hurt because they deserve to.

BB did everything possible to include Freddy and prop him up even when not playing or rusty. Gee, Freddy agrees, and how many lil children here have screamed differently.

People are "idiots" (don't get insulted, I'm using the official dictionary term meaning lack of intelligence, not a put down) for saying it's BB's fault or he doesn't know how to use precious in his system. Clearly dolts.

I agree with IE. Leave him the F alone. Let him play. Let him get a full camp and settled somewhere.

Plenty of time for qualification matches later on.

Let him get settled and play for once. It will help him and the Nats.

It looks like our boy is finally growing up a bit.

I wish we could keep him at that small boring town. Seems to be working.

19. HatTrickHero411

Jan 20, 2008
    Screwston, TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i disagree. i think coach bob can find a place for him. but, his best position is second striker in 4411 or CAM in 451. he can play wing, but it's not the best place for him. he needs to be in the middle and work from there.

i think he plays well with jozy and complements our other attacking players with his ability to hold the ball and let them make runs. just watch the tape. he isn't huge, but he can hold his own by drawing fouls or just getting by someone with skill.

he is one of 3 people i can remember LD consistently giving up free-kicks, corners to: holden, dempsey, adu. donovan and bradley (by virtue of sticking with him during the bad years) both recognize his talent, but they were correct in the 1 1/2 leading up to the world cup that adu needed to play more if he wanted to make the world cup.

in the last year he has been humbled by not making the world cup camp and appears to have changed his mindset. he will never be a solid defender but he can add much more to our attack to compensate for his defensive deficiency. who else consistently looks to beat defenders 1v1 or make the final killer pass?

i agree with the above poster. you can't keep moving the goal posts for adu, while others get the benefit of the doubt. people wanted him to play. he is playing and playing well. so what if it's 2nd division? we've taken 2nd division players before.

the kid has tons of skill and seems to have his confidence back. i don't see the harm in bringing him into a camp to see what he has with the rest of the team.

20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I think Spector, Feilhaber and Bedoya are all pretty likely to make the roster. So do you add Kljestan to that mix? To be honest I don't see the point unless there is reason to think that Kljestan's recent form justifies him being ahead of those three.

As for the forward position, Altidore and Agudelo are locks imo, and Bunbury likely.

In that scenario is there room for a different type of player like Adu or Mix who fit in best as a withdrawn forward/attacking mid role such as Mix played against Chile? Personally, I think having one of Adu or Mix would give us a capability that we might not have otherwise. I think both would have more of a chance of making a significant contribution than Kljestan, who I think would be behind Feilhaber and Bedoya in one role and behind Edu, Jones, Bradley and Spector in another.

As for Mix versus Adu, I think both are interesting players who add something different to the team. If I could only choose one it would be Adu because his recent form seems a bit better.

21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I agree. I think Freddy would be a very good complement for the other forwards likely to be on the roster--Altidore, Agudelo and Bunbury. If you think about the other forward candidates--Buddle, Wondo, Gomez--there games are either not that different from the three likely to be on the roster or not likely to offer a strong complement.

22. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st, I deleted the first paragraphs of your post because I don't really disagree with them.

Bob can certainly accommodate Freddy in the team and Freddy is capable of the things you say he is. The only question is, is he capable of performing at a high enough level to compete internationally? And, the only person in the World who's opinion matters right now is BB's.

To your request for other examples of U.S. players who look to take people on 1 v 1 and make that killer pass (not all have the opportunity to make the final one), I'd say anyone who's looking to solidify a starting position and isn't a CB or GK better have the ability and confidence to do that......and the intelligence to know when and when not to try.

Of course, none of that ability or lack of it has been keeping Freddy from making the team. What Bob said, and what Freddy reiterated, was that Freddy needs to consistently put good 90 minute performances together and consistently put in the work in training. That's it.

No one is "moving the goal posts" for Freddy. No one is moving them closer. No one is moving them further away. No one, including Freddy, should be at all concerned with those goal posts either.

The only goal posts anyone should be worried about, where Freddy is concerned, is getting that permanent contract away from Benfica and earning 60 to 90 minutes every game next season. The national team stuff will work itself out beyond that.

23. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    well he is still creative. he probably has most skilled feet out of options. if he made gc roster maybe he could be spark of the bench

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Allow me to explain how that can happen.

Perhaps there are so many attacking players whose form is better than Freddy that he doesn't merit a spot on the Gold Cup roster.

25. HatTrickHero411

Jan 20, 2008
    Screwston, TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, he has proven so against spain and argentina. yes, they are friendlies but that's where bunberry and agudelo have proven themselves and people are ready to claim agudelo should start.

other than davies, i have to yet to see someone step up and do this on a consistent basis. davies does it with speed, adu with skill. agudelo had a couple of moments but that doesn't really appear to be his game at the moment.

that's what he has been doing with Rize and Aris.

you said the only goal posts he needs to be worried about are playing regularly. now are the goal posts to get another contract and then the US will look at you again? your last statement contradicts a previous statement.

my main point is the kid is has skills most other players in our forward pool do not have. he is playing and he is coming into some good form. why is it such a big deal to some that others people would like to see him get invited to a camp? no one is saying he should start. no one is saying he should be a lock to the gold cup. let him earn it, like he has had to earn back PT over the last 8 months. but, he can't earn it if he isn't given a chance in a camp.