Freddy Adu in Bahia

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sakibomb523, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    So how do you explain him bouncing from club to club then?

2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Nonexistent work ethic leading to lack of consistency, which coaches hate?

3. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Suyunty?

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I already did. He just refuses to follow the plan dictated by the manager. He tries to do his own thing. Which, even if it works, is irritating for the coach. Heck, it's even more irritating if it does work!

When I was new in my career I made that mistake too: did things my way, thinking I'd be congratulated for doing them in a better way than the tried-and-true way my boss wanted. And it worked, for less expense. I got fired.

I suspect it's the same with Adu. Guy won't follow someone else's plan. I had to learn to do that. Seems he hasn't.

CTS26 and Aduesque repped this.
  5. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    So it is on Freddy then. Not some grand conspiracy.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap, he "literally" skinned him????? You'd think I'd remember that!

:D

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am sticking to my original thought: He was a great kid player who did not develop into a great adult player. It does not require all of this psychoanalyses. He is just not good enough.

8. NOLA

NOLA Member

Jan 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just speaking aloud. Not really responding to you, my bad.

I think it's safe to say he's just an average to below average pro who has the potential to be above average but maybe doesn't have the work ethic to get there.

9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Reasonable people would realize that none of the clubs that he went to while on loan from Benfica (Monaco aside) were permanent solutions, as none of them are the size of club that would come close to paying a player a million a year, for the 4, 3, 2 years he had remaining on his Benfica contract when he arrived. Not Belenense. Not Aris. Not Whateverspor. Reasonable people would realize these were all short term, shop window, get some playing time moves in the hopes that Adu would impress just enough to 1)get Benfica to let him go without, or with a minimal transfer fee (early…although there were reports that Benfica was still asking for a transfer fee late in his contract), and 2)offer enough guaranteed money over a longer contract to cover what Adu was guaranteed by the remainder of his Benfica contract (exactly what happened). That Philly inexplicably gave him DP money to come back, then regretted that decision, is on them, not Adu.

And Bahia -

There are a lot of players in our pool, that got significant minutes over the last 4 years, that wouldn't make it at Bahia.

Again - someone's going to sign him. Likely to a contract that isn't orders of magnitude beyond his value, and he'll be evaluated for what he is, and average player capable of doing extraordinary things on occasion. There are plenty of places for a player like that to play. Who knows, he may still pull it together when given the opportunity and those occasions might even start to happen frequently.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Here's some of the footage, since you missed it:

[​IMG]

BTW, I believe Ramirez is now eligible for sainthood.

orcrist, Neuwerld and Winoman repped this.
  11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    MadRHatter repped this.
  12. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and this is the reason many clubs are afraid to put Adu on the pitch.

13. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    True. But bigger clubs that could have paid that didn't come calling either.

14. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Is he a free agent now? (seems like he's always under contract to some team that doesn't want him)

15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Yes. He is a free agent now.

16. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his contract with Bahia expires at the end of the year, so he won't officially be a free agent until Wednesday. Might explain why there has been no news/rumors on Freddy since the season ended December 8th.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, Adu's problem is that he is just a visionary not to be appreciated in his own time. That's his curse.
    :rolleyes:

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's a way to see it. Another way is that he's just undisciplined.

19. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody has ever posited that. Ever.

And yet people unwilling to acknowledge that Freddy is not completely devoid of quality bring statements like that time and again as simplistic responses to people trying to rationally discuss what has hampered his career.

20. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu to Pachuca, you heard it first from me. Cruz Azul was interested by went with Forlan.

21. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you meant to say Fabian

22. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    farfan

23. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one makes more sense.

Still, once Marco Fabian was brought in any real possibility of Freddy going to Cruz Azul was gone.

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Adu needs to go to a veteran heavy team with someone senior for guidance. Absolute professionals who command the club house and will not tolerate anything but devotion to the team.

25. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    La Galaxy! If the Gold Cup was any indication, Adu could help fill the dangerous long ball void that Beckham's leaving caused. Plus maybe a couple of more "genuine" U.S. soccer icons in Donovan and Arena could be the influence he needs more so than yet another foreign team who takes him on because they think it might lead to some kind of marketing win.