Freddy Adu apparently signed by the Quakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by scotto, May 23, 2003.

1. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    If this is true, all I gotta say is WESTSIDE!

But, I think they messed up.

3. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Do you think so? ;)

4. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    must be a P40...:D

gotta love 3 Americans appearing on Fergie's radar....

5. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so was Adu the guy who was playing in the Stanford scrimmage that no one could identify? ;)

First Yves, now Adu.

Tony

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp No, it seems that ManU is considering taking Freddy Adu away from the Earthquakes! [​IMG]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I knew this would happen the moment we signed him. But at least we can all look back at the great games he had with our team.

8. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Freddy is to the Quakes what Braulio Luna was to the Clash.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful!

Watch it, folks. Look at what ManUtd is quoting as its source for that news: The Sunday Mirror, which, if I remember correctly is not one of Britain's more reliable sources of news.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Well, the Earthquakes still have Donovan, I guess. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp But Frederick singing "Do You Know The Way To Manchester?" doesn't have quite the same ring to it as the original...

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

11. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suffer Little Children:

"Oh Manchester, so much to answer for
    Oh Manchester, so much to answer for
    Oh, find me, find me !
    Find me !
    I'll haunt you when you laugh
    Oh, I'll haunt you when you laugh
    You might sleep
    BUT YOU WILL NEVER DREAM !"

12. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Anyone think they might mean Donovan?

13. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    No. Check the rumor link.

"Freddy Adu is being touted as the player who will become Uncle Sam's first superstar after excelling for the Under-17s last year against MLS Champions San Jose Earthquakes when he was just 12."

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=35613&itype=466&icategoryid=0

14. supergrl226

supergrl226 New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Cali
    Don't they mean the Chicago Fire?

15. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Maybe that guy wearing #9 is the real Fred Adu!

That can explain the moments of brillance of a gifted player yet all the shanked crosses of a 14 year old kid.

16. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There's about a thousand clubs after Adu. But so far the only ones to have shown real interest are Inter as far as I know.

17. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    That crushed me Jason. I thought Landon was our superstar?

He'll be with the U17s for at least another year or so Mr. Ajax.

18. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Today's Washington Post has a story about Adu inking a million dollar deal with Nike. Toward the end of the story he says he will not go pro for another year, which will finish off his advanced program for early high school. Then it adds the key part: the only team in MLS he says he'll play for is DC United.

19. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    Didn't Chris Albright say the same thing?.....

20. Djordjic 24

Djordjic 24 New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Someone posted this on YNWA.org (Liverpool FC forum)

Adu Has Deal With Nike
    $1 Million Contract Was Signed by 13-Year-Old's Mother

By Jason La Canfora
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, May 26, 2003; Page D01

Freddy Adu, a 13-year-old soccer phenom whose family relocated from Ghana to Potomac five years ago, has agreed to a $1 million contract with Nike after signing with one of the sport's top agents, sources said, but he is unlikely to sign a professional playing contract for at least another year.

Adu, who was offered a lucrative deal from Italian powerhouse Inter Milan when he was 11, continues to train and practice with the U.S. under-17 national team in preparation for August's world championships in Finland. His mother, Emilia, signed the deal with Nike on Thursday and the company is expected to announce more details of the agreement shortly.

Arnold Tarzy, a local attorney and an Adu family adviser, helped them search for an agent to represent Freddy's playing and professional interests, and Adu recently signed with Richard Motzkin and Dan Segal, whose stable of clients at SportsNet, LLC includes young stars such as Landon Donovan.

The Adu family would not discuss details of the deal with Nike ("It's certainly more than a month-to-month contract," Tarzy said), but sources said it is a multiyear agreement and is worth approximately $1 million. Motzkin declined to comment when reached yesterday, and Nike officials were unavailable over the holiday weekend. An announcement of both signings is likely to come this week.

By signing these contracts Adu has relinquished his amateur status -- although he had long planned to play professionally as a teenager and has no desire to participate in NCAA soccer -- and he is using the Nike deal as a de facto insurance policy should an injury derail his career. The money will also allow the family to spend more time together; Adu's mother worked two jobs after winning an immigration lottery to come to this country and did not have the means to visit Freddy as he trains and attends school in Florida with the rest of the under-17 national team.

"This deal gives Freddy the ability financially to go through school and not have to sell his playing ability [to a team] to get from point A to point B in his career," Tarzy said. "This acts as his insurance. There's not the same kind of money being offered around to soccer players like there is for basketball, and it is difficult to get the kind of insurance that could set Freddy up for life if something happened. There aren't LeBron James deals being offered in soccer."

Most endorsement deals include provisions that the athlete must make a certain number of appearances per year and wear products only from their sponsoring company. Adu, however, is still in school -- he is on pace to graduate high school in an accelerated program next spring -- and thus cannot fulfill those kinds of obligations. He is also too young to organize clinics or youth gatherings, and Nike is still contemplating other ways to utilize the player's talents.

His contract calls for a set number of appearances over the duration of the contract -- rather than on a year-to-year basis -- and sources said the deal stipulates very little duties on Adu's part, with Nike in essence securing rights to the player at a young age and at a minimal expense.

"They haven't really talked about specifics with us," Tarzy said.

Adu, who will turn 14 on June 2, has drawn international attention for his tremendous skills and been featured in television and print stories in Japan, Brazil, England and elsewhere. Scouts from European teams have been tracking him for years and he has excelled in scrimmages against MLS teams.

However, his family has rebuffed all offers, trying to give Adu the most normal adolescence possible and putting his education above all else.

That remains the priority and Adu will stay in Florida until he graduates. There is a possibility Adu could participate in the 2004 Summer Olympics -- that is conducted in an under-23 format -- and he would likely consider professional playing options then. Adu might play a season or two in MLS, he is interested in playing only for D.C. United (to stay close to his family) and the league is very interested in securing his services when he turns pro, sources said.

"Freddy isn't going to be signing with any teams any time soon," Tarzy said. "He doesn't graduate high school until the spring of 2004 and we have our fingers crossed about the chance to play with the Olympic team."

However, the youngster wants to head to Europe early in his career to get the best training and face the best competition possible. Technically, Adu could not sign a true professional contract with a team in Europe until he is 16, but it is common for teams to create exceptions to that rule.

Motzkin's agency has contacts throughout Europe and has helped many Americans get contracts abroad and also brokered a complicated deal between Nike, MLS and German team Bayer Leverkusen that allows Donovan to play near his home in San Jose while still tied to the German club. That kind of expertise drew the Adus to Motzkin, who has met with the family in the past and has known Freddy for several years.

21. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    Does anyone else wonder who DC are going to have to sacrifice to get Adu, or is MLS going to do something really inane and claim him as a 'discovery' or P-40 player?

22. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is news to me....

i was just browsing Man Utd's website (I'm not a fan of theirs, or any English side) but I just happened to come upon a weird discovery. On the rumors page, they list Freddy Adu as a target...but the funny part is that they state his current club as being "San Jose Earthquakes."

ummmm....................

http://www.manutd.com/news/features.sps?iType=784&icustompageid=6846

23. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I accidently posted this in the DC forum. I meant it for this one.

Yep. It seems the MLS plan to pair him up with Donovan to give them more time to learn to work together for the good of the national team got leaked out by some employee.
    But since then it looks like the plan is to send him to LA. I'm not sure on the reason MLS wants to do this but it could have something to do with his mother wanting him close as much as possible and the nats will be training in LA so if he's with the Galaxy he would be near home a lot more.
    I guess that might be why rumor has it she's looking for a house in Torrance near Sigi's house.
    I hate people who give out info like that early and people who spread rumors like those DC fans who think he's going there! :)

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can she get a house near Sigi? With a Sigi in the town there's no room for anyone else. (Sigi Schitz, a.k.a. the man who swallowed a blimp.)

25. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's room in Torrance! Just not much to eat.
    Now stop making fun of Sigi's belly. Would you make fun of Santa Claus?