Freddy Adu an all Star?? a disgrace

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Line9Foul, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    The fall will feel less brutal, because he will be landing on a bigger pile of money than any American soccer player.

2. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    But look at how long he has been a broadcaster. Maybe that means that Adu will quit after a few seasons and take a spot in the booth.

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Dempsey gets in I could care less who else is playing. Dempsey deserves it, he's played better then any other rookie this year. If he doesn't get voted in, then its a shame.

4. kurgen99

kurgen99 New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Maybe Freddy doesn't yet deserve a spot as an All star, but he guarantees attendance and interest. US soccer needs more support. If Freddy brings it, so be it.

He's only 15. He will get better.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i understand these comparisons, but they don't stand up. vince carter had already proven himself to be a superstar and to be one of the best players on the court. we all know about ripken's career. sure, they didn't deserve it that particular year, but at least they had proved it numerous times beforehand.

you can't say the same for mr. adu.

just sayin'.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    :)

I saw a post about how Freddy must envy Eddie Gaven and I had to laugh. I'll admit, Eddie is probably having more fun than Freddy right now, but I don't think a 15-year old millionaire is seeking to change places with a $50K per year guy who is one Dema Kovalenko tackle away from working at Panera Bread Company, baking loaves.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey, don't knock it. That's my kinda snob.

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bitching about the selection of All-Stars in the All Star game!

MLS ...

wait for it!

wait!

...HAS FINALLY ARRIVED!!!!

9. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    I voted for him (once), but I agree there are more deserving players (Ruiz, Dempsey, Moreno, etc).

By the way, I live near DC, and I will not be attending the all-star game. I'm saving my time and money for the WCQ's and United games.

I guess, in the end, I'm with the "does it really matter?" contingent. I'm sure the one player that misses out because of Freddy will be happy to have a weekend off, anyway. Let's just hope they start the kid. We don't want him complaining about coming in as a sub.

10. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm a DCU fan, and love it, Adu is and always will be an ALL-STAR in this country. Anyone who can give a boost to an away games attendance figures.... Thats like Becks coming and playing in Columbus they'd sell the place out! Oh wait, they couldn't do that for the USMNT qualifier, nevermind, ok maybe KC! Point is, Adu has MLS and its fans by the balls so to speak. He'll be in that game one way or another. I agree with a lot of people, performance-wise he's not an All-Star.... YET!

And for the record, I'll be at the game! Now where's my Ketel 1 and tonic for the tailgate! YEAH BABY YEAH!

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenn, do you suppose it's possible that I'm the only other person on this board who understands that reference instantly without having to look that up?

I have, however, shamefully forgotten what Hurricane's real first name was.

12. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Me, too. Then I voted again and left him off the ballot. :)

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unless the guy has an All-Star bonus written into his contract, in which case he might not be so happy

This is a hardly a surety. By as early as next year he could be yesterday's news, depending on how he's coming along.

14. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Im more deserving of being an all star than freddy adu. Even Simon Elliott is more deserving of being an all star than freddy adu.

15. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    I'm not even watching the game, so I don't care. Its a pointless exhibition.

MLS All Star game = a nice weekend break from soccer.
    See you at the beach.

16. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Naming Freddy Adu to the All-Star Game would be a complete disgrace.

Sincerely,
    Carlos Hermosillo
    Luis Hernandez
    Lothar Matthaeus
    Khodadad Azizi
    Mike Burns
    Geoff Aunger

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose it's possible - I applaud you for that - and it was Bob, IIRC.

18. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[sarcasm]
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT? You mean that kid Freddy Adu is going to be playing in the ALL-STAR game???? NO WAY! Im SOOOOOOOO PISSED! Its The END of MLS I say! THE END!!!! The sky is falling the sky is falling! All of soccer is going to DIE in the U.S.! The world as we know it will cease to exsist, and im MAD as HELL about it and you are all stupid fvcking idiots for allowing this to happen and all your idiotic kids too! [/sarcasm]

:rolleyes:

Dude, you seriously need to pop a few pills, have a few drinks, take more than a few deep breaths, close your eyes, and let yourself relax. You are gonna die of a heart attack, and most likely its going to be over something thats completely and totally trivial. And brining peoples little kids into it and calling them names? Are you sure you are not a child yourself? I would leave you bad rep but I dont want to waste it on you, and it looks as tho others have already gotten to you.

God forbid that the MLS's biggest "STAR", who has drawn in a TON of new fans to the sport and the league should be featured in an EXIBITION match that is designed to show off MLS's brightest stars present and future. It doesnt have THAT much to do with how talented the kid currently is, it has more to do with what hes done for MLS in his short time here, and what his POTENTIAL to do for MLS in the future is. So MLS should keep all future potential superstars under lock and key eh? Riiiight. Heaven forbid MLS want to try and maximize its national/ international exposure by possibly bringing in more fans.

Ya know, if they had an ALL-STAR game for idiots im sure youd be the first named to it, and the match's brightest dolt.

Get a clue.

19. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

don't you understand yet, it's for ticket sales !...MLS needs someone who can draw people to the stadium and that player is Adu.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, you're right, Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Silver Surfer, and Venom don't belong in the SuperHeroes League.

But at least they did something. Killed a few innocent bystanders, terrorized children, told a few jokes. They are Great Men. OK, Great Bad Men but Great Men nonetheless. Freddy ... he's Peter Parker and he ain't yet been bitten.

Mike Burns. C'mon man, you're talking about a World Cup legend.