Freddy Adu an all Star?? a disgrace

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Line9Foul, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Line9Foul

Line9Foul New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Good ol' USA
    This kid has not ********ing played half the minutes an All-Star must play, yet he is ranked 3rd on the voting and United top striker Jaime Moreno is ranked 12th... this is a ********ing disgrace.... MLS should be ahsmaed and you as fans as well because your stupid kids go in the voting ballots to vote for him. Freddy an MLS All-Star my ass.

2. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Why do you even care?

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't get pissy. it's not like you didn't know all-star voting in any sport is a popularity contest.
    if that's who the fans want to see, so be it.

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Totally agree. I was reading the article today on MLSnet.com about the All Star voting and it made me think again how stupid some of the voters are. But, MLS and ABC will be happy that they can plaster Donovan and Adu all over the advertisements now won't they. What a joke. Oh well, not like I watch the game anyways.

5. Line9Foul

Line9Foul New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Good ol' USA
    Because it makes this league seem so Amateur...... You should be ashamed that you dont. Retard

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, this will really undermine the integrity of the meaningless, ratings-ticket-sales-and-media-interest exhibition All-Star game. My faith in yet another venerated institution is shattered.

7. BWogs

BWogs New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Kansas City
    Like this doesn't happen in every other All Star game. Who cares...

8. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm a retard because I don't care? You're way too wound up over a petty issue. Please don't feel free to insult me over my lack of concern over your crusade.

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first of all, i believe fans' votes only count for 33% or 25% of the final tally. don't players and the media and maybe one other instituation which i can't think of also have a say?

having said that, while i know it's all for a big show, it does strike me as silly that he'd make it. but of course all all-star games suffer (my word) from similar situations.

10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Fan based voting is a vote as to who they want to see at the All-star game. It is not a vote as to who is having the best seasons thus far, etc. Look at major league baseball.

AL 1b.....

1. Giambi, J. Yankees 1,296,809
    2. Thomas, F. White Sox 613,020
    3. Delgado, C. Blue Jays 544,378
    4. Millar, K. Red Sox 493,982
    5. Palmeiro, R. Orioles 458,314

Giambi is having a horrid year thus far, Delgado has been hurt a good 1/4 of the season, Millar has been ok, etc.

1. Jeter, D. Yankees 1,422,786
    2. Garciaparra, N. Red Sox 1,131,069
    3. Young, M. Rangers 830,528
    4. Tejada, M. Orioles 789,834
    5. Guillen, C. Tigers 276,866

Jeter got off to an awful start, Garciaparra has played about 10 games, yet Young is #3. It is a popularity contest. Who really cares who gets voted in? I sure the hell don't.

11. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    From the press release announcing that "Donovan leads All-Star fan balloting:"

The media may vote for Adu but the players and coaches/manager probably will not. In the grand scheme of things, who cares? If the fans want to see Adu in this exhibitition game, give them what they want. TV ratings and the attendance for this exhibitition game will be much better with the kid in the game.

12. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
    I voted for him.

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    This is a show for those who actually watch the Oscars, the Pro Bowl, any-and-every-other All Star game, The Emmies; those who eat at McDonalds, Burger King, et. al. -- even now and then-- and those who drink Bud Lite, along with those who think there really is a difference between Coke and Pepsi. The All Star game is just for fun, a happy hour or two.

My own view is that the All Star Game is to soccer what pop culture is to culture. That's the kind of snob I am. But I plan to watch the All Star game for the same reason people flock to see disaster movies --just for fun.

I hope we send a true AllStar team to play Real Madrid, and not a popular selection based on a fan poll.

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raise your hand if you didn't see this coming a mile down the pike.

The only question is, will MLS script him a few goals so he can break Landon's bogus all-star scoring record?

15. Hillbilly Thunder

Hillbilly Thunder New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Ballyhooed,CA
    While Frederick may not be even close to the leagues best player, he is ,undoubtedly, the leagues biggest star, and that bright, toothy, smile is one that makes ad execs cream. :p

16. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    and it's not?

17. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since there are two All-Star games this season, let this voting continue, and a month after the game, open a new ballot, with a new question: Who do you want to see play Real Madrid in Madrid? The older fans will probably change one of their votes.

18. Cozmosis

Cozmosis New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    When you let the fans have a say, they vote who they like, not always who the best players are. People want to see Freddy Adu.

19. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can we please stop with the RIDICULOUSLY STUPID conspiracy theories?? :rolleyes:

20. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you honestly think he was being serious?

21. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get in a tiffy. The fan voting is probably going to be the only place Adu will garner any votes (aside from the 2 or 3 moron media members who don't know what's going on). The players and coaches won't vote for him. Don't worry. In the end I'm not sure he's even going to make the AS team.

22. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    it's an all STAR game not all GREAT PLAYER game.

23. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that if this was the best MLS Players (in the form of the Nats) against lets say the English National Team where there was some pride on the line that Adu doesn't have any business being on the squad at this point. But this is a show...... Adu makes the line up hands down because of the "Adu Attendance Bounce" that many teams have benifited from this season as a result of Adu traveling circus. For that reason alone he's an Allstar in my book. But from a performance level, Freddy isn't in the top 100 in the league at this point.

Nationally televised All-Star match without what has become a house hold name??? Hmm.... I don't think so.

Now we can argue if it's good for the game or what not til were blue in the face, but what's the point? Remember it's a show, and just relax.

24. crestuden

crestuden New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Good thing this kind of stuff doesn't happen in the NBA and MLB with their All-Star games. I would hate to see those events turn into popularity contests where undeserving players make the starting lineup even though other players are having much better seasons.

Its funny how only the NFL has the best voting system for their All-Star game and yet it is by the far the least anticipated because it is played in Hawaii and at the end of the season.

25. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    yeah, the NBA looked so "amateur" when Vince Carter made the all-star team despite playing only a couple bages before injury.

MLB looked so "amateur" when Cal Ripken was an all-star starter suring his worst year. (He was hitting about .205 at the break)

These things happen when you let the fans vote. get over it.