Frankowski trial?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by krolpolski, Jan 30, 2008.

1. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Frankowski was always streaky, his troubles at Wolverhampton were befuddling because he had been on fire before that transfer. Of course these things happen, look at David Healy being completely unable to score at Fulham while tearing it up on the international level. Is David Healy done? If Frankowski knocks a couple in early for us then he could catch fire and tear the league up, we'll just have to see. The positive I have heard is that while Zurawski has looked poor in any action he has seen lately Frankowski has played a lot of friendlies for Wisla and Lech, and by all accounts he looked fantastic. Every year they do an arena all-star game with Polish Ekstraklasa stars during the winter break, Frankowski took part in it and was, according to the reports, the best performing player of those involved.

2. Tahu

Tahu Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Chicago-North Suburb
    if there is film of him actually able to run, its an improvement over Wanchope whose legs were shot. And, at a minimum he should be able to know where to run to - to spread the field for Blanco and Rolfe.

3. fireloco98

fireloco98 New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    So. Holland
    sounds like the perfect guy to teach Barrett a thing or two ... hopefully he is completely healthy but he couldn't hurt ...right

4. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? I'm 100% percent Polish and most of my family is naturally tan.

Should make Crew-Fire games a little more interesting. According to someone from our board Warzycha was trying to get Frankowski to come to the Crew to pair up with Zurawski but he wasn't interested. Frankowski has really dropped from three years back when all he can get is a trial at the Fire.

5. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    If Frankowski starts tearing it up he might be the one headed to Euro 2008 instead of Zurawski, now that would be something!

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    After watching some youtube clips, I have to agree with the Rolfe comparisons.

7. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Sorry to be clogging this thread with posts, but I looked up some quotes about Frankowski in the Polish papers. Franciszek Smuda, without question one of Poland's best and most accomplished managers, wanted Frankowski for Lech, they had Frankowski play and train with them for an extended period of time, his quote:

http://www.sport.pl/pilka/1,70993,4841046.html
    "He is capable of scoring 10 goals this season. After the tests we know that he is completely healthy and that he can play". This is interesting since he is talking about 10 goals in the 2nd half (spring) of the season.

Lech's Board overruled the manager and did not sign him even though they had come to terms.

http://www.gazetawyborcza.pl/1,82245,4646381.html
    Also, for those that think this was "plan B", in November Marek Citko (Frankowski's manager at the time, and if many of you will remember, a trialist with the Fire last year) stated that "He [Frankowski] has certain offers from Europe and the USA. I have to wait for him to decide what he wants to do."

http://miasta.gazeta.pl/krakow/1,35804,4713296.html
    Frankowski trained with Wisla Krakow (currently in 1st place in Poland) while recovering from his injury, and Wisla's manager, Maciej Skorża, wanted to sign him after seeing his form. He scored and was in good form during scrimmages. Once again that plan was aborted this time by Wisla's GM.

So it looks like the managers think he is fit and in good form, and 2 managers of the top 3 Polish teams wanted to sign him, but the managers were overruled by higher ups, maybe salary demands or length of contract had something to do with it? Jagiellonia is pleading with him to sign with them but he doesn't want to.

Year, team, games, goals, and trophies/accomplishments. Mistrzostwo = Championship, król strzelców = Golden Boot, puchar ligi = League Cup.
    [​IMG]

Anyone know how to keep Bigsoccer from resizing?

8. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Stogey,

I'm gonna kick your ass.

As for Tommy Boy, I hope he's healthy. Having seen the video of him (who is serving up those balls to him? That's a player to court!) play, and despite he played for the evil Wisla Krakow, I would love to have him on the team. I miss the days of Nowak and perhaps this will let me relive my youth.

9. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Can someone describe his style? Is he the tall target type, or is he more successful with the ball at his feet? ...Or is he a slasher and poacher?

I'd love to see the team get away from the route 1 / "tall target" strategy they've failed at for so many years.

10. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    That would be a certain Kamil Kosowski, you may have heard of him. ;)

11. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He's more like a Rolfe than a Ching. He is good in the air but by no means is he the 'target forward' type.

12. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    He is like Rolfe in stature, I think if you watch the myriad of youtube video's involving him you'll see that he is definitely a poacher, a slasher and an excellent finisher, he knows how to position himself. He doesn't dribble a whole lot, but he has good ball control, and has duked plenty of defenders. He usually scores from inside the box, and he is good with his head. He is one of those rare players who has such good control and balance that he can score on the volley with great accuracy.

13. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't. :) Our last name was changed/shortened by my great grandmother because it was mispronounced/misspelled too often for her liking.

I've actually thought of changing it back to the original even though it would cause me to type a few more keystrokes on the computer or use a little more ink when signing my name... ;)

14. RiverBurner1969

RiverBurner1969 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrM5LaArOss

If he can make half the number of goals like these playing for us I'd be happy to have him. I think we desparatly need some who can score from inside the box.
    A Blanco corner kick to Franko's head! Im giddy just thinking about that.

15. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Pretty nice stuff. And may I add that Ekstraklasa defensive skills make MLS look pretty damn good.

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of his goals and movement remind me of Rolfe, and I don't think two Rolfe's up top would be a bad thing.

17. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    I agree, this guys resume definatley earns him a look. Especially if its true he plays like Rolfe.

But I to any Fire personnel staff PLEASE check his knees. It shoulda been apparrent from just the way Wanchope ran that he was done.

18. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Rubber dick!

19. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    The Crew just got royally screwed, looks like Zurawski is headed to Greece. The Crew lowered Zurawski's asking price so low other teams got enticed, they should have ponied up the extra $150k last week and sealed the deal, what a bunch of incompetents. :rolleyes:

20. Nowak4o7

Nowak4o7 New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Source?

21. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
  22. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Move the Crew to Kentucky!

23. fireloco98

fireloco98 New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    So. Holland
    Too bad for the Crew another marquee player in the league always helps ... but it couldn't have happened to a better team ... well maybe N.E.:p

24. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

http://www.pilkanozna.pl/news.php?ID=83690

Napastnik reprezentacji Polski Maciej Żurawski prawdopodobnie przeniesie się z Celtiku Glasgow do jednego z greckich klubów - informuje "Evening Times".
    Jeszcze kilka dni temu wydawało się, że były zawodnik Wisły Kraków będzie kontynuował karierę za oceanem. Poważnie jego pozyskaniem zainteresowani byli przedstawiciele Columbus Crew. Przeciągające się rozmowy nie dały pozytywnego rezultatu i do transferu jak do tej pory nie doszło.

Polish National Team forward Maciej Zurawski will probably move from Celtic Glascow to one of Greece's clubs, according to the "Evening Times."

A few days ago it appeared that the former Wisla Krakow players would continue his career overseas. He was seriously persued by representatives of the Columbus Crew. Further discussions did not give a postive result and the transfer to this point in time has not taken place.

Do walki o sprowadzenie Żurawskiego w ostatnich godzinach włączyli się podobno przedstawiciele jednego z klubów greckiej ekstraklasy. Jak informuje portal Sport.pl piłkarz otrzymał ofertę z zajmującej dziesiąte miejsce w tabeli, Larissy. Niewykluczone, że wkrótce reprezentant Polski podpisze z nią kontrakt.

Into the mix at the last minute jumped representatives of a club in the Greek league. Sport.pl reports that the player received an offer from 10th in the table Larissa. It appears the player will sign a contract with the team.

As I said to a friend, if this happens, it's a tragic comedy. Tragic for the Crew and a comedy for us. :D

25. Nowak4o7

Nowak4o7 New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Zurawski was also to Sign with LA and a number of other teams and that never happened. I still have a feeling the Crew will get him.