Frankie Hedjuk, it's time to retire

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SpeedyOne, Jul 12, 2005.

1. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    Are you really saying that we throw in the towel for 2006 so we can bleed a few guys for 2010? I think you should think be for you type.

Onyewu, Gibbs, Bocanegra = center backs

Cherundolo = starting right back

Whitbread = really now not ready

Mastroeni = so far starting dm, interesting

Marshall = too slow

Burciaga, Dunivant = should be given a shot but neither blow frankie off the field

Spector = interesting

2. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    You really think the US can win? Just because of one good WC? When we start winning in Europe against good competition on a more regular basis maybe I'll entertain the thought. I may be a dire pessimist (and I am) but that's a little overboard. A little absurb for you to think I'm suggesting throwing in the towel just because I want to leave Frankie at home.

3. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    Are you that dude that plays banjo in Deliverance? You need to read your own posts and figure out what you already typed. I'm done with this athough it was fun, pick away.

4. Brownje83

Brownje83 Member

Jan 24, 2001
    An opium den in O.C.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    At the end of the day the choice is Arena's. He is the most successful U.S. men's national team coach ever. He took us to the quarters in '02 (should've been the semis if not for the CLEAR HAND BALL on Germany's goal line). If Arena chose to take Hejduk to the World Cup I would be completely fine with that. Hell, we all thought (I'm assuming, because I did) that Cobi Jones did not belong on the squad in '02. He was in the twilight of his career. But one of the images that I remember from '02 is Cobi coming in as a late sub in the Mexico game and holding the ball very well, burning time, and taking some pressure off of our squad.
    Therefore, if Bruce decides that Hejduk belongs on the squad for whatever reason (and doesn't a great motivator and hard worker count for anything these days?)...I'll go along with Bruce.
    -Josh
    p.s. and if you don't like the newbie "bit" stop acting like one you self-righteous self-proclaimed know-it-all.

5. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy on the Newbie everyone... just kidding Speed...

Here's my take on Frankie...

He's not a very good soccer player... he never has been... he had a nice game against Germany in 1998 and it served him well for his career... the whole "he gives 150%" gets a little old with me... he is relatively weak defensively... he gives up way too many innocent fouls in dangerous positions on the field... he is quite awful on the ball (in every way)... he simply cannot play a ball to save his life... and this is all when he plays his natural right back position... when he plays on the left he's even worse... one of the biggest reasons Frankie gets the invite is that he's a great teammate... he's a great guy to have in the locker room and on any team...

But alas... who exactly has stepped up to claim any position in the back line (much less the outside back position(s) that Frankie plays)??? i agree that Bruce perhaps should've given a few players a look in the Gold Cup... but who deserved to get called in??? i simply don't see enough in Burciaga... Dunivant has certainly not impressed me too much... who else??? i think Bruce already has it in his mind that he will need to use a midfielder at left back (and perhaps center back)... i think he's gonna give Eddie Lewis a look back there... i think either Reyna, Mastroeni, and O'Brien will get a look at various positions in the back... i think the improved play from Stevie C. at right back has relieved Bruce a little...

If we're going to do anything at the true international level (not against the little sisters of the CONCACAF) we need to get more out of the back 3 or 4... we need more soccer out of those guys... we need better distribution, more confidence on the ball, and much better all-around passing from the backs... i think Bruce knows this, and he has plenty of games to work on this... no reason to show his hand in this rather meaningless tourney...

6. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    You ever heard of Thomas Dooley?

7. Aquarius21

Aquarius21 New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena's team is better than the sum of the parts. He may have players like Hejduk who, yes, have overachieved, but I love players like that. They leave their heart and soul all over the field and do exactly what the Bruce wants and he knows this. Bruce takes players who aren't the greatest and puts them in a situation that they can succeed in. Since this is a thread about Hejduk, let's look at him: hasn't had the greatest club season but then again, look who WAS coaching the Crew. Arena takes him out of the club scene, puts him on the national scene, and he performs so much better than with the Crew. And Hejduk's not the only player who Arena takes away from the club where their struggling and then have them succeed at the national level. Nobody's perfect on this team, NOBODY. And yet this team has so far under Arena and I have full faith in his decision-making. It may not be the best, but considering Arena took over a team that completely embarrassed itself in '98 and took it to the final 8 in '02, I think he knows what he's doing.