Frankie Hedjuk, it's time to retire

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SpeedyOne, Jul 12, 2005.

1. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    Hey Newbie, we all know Frankies weaknesses. But we also know that he brings it every four years. We remember when he put his shorts on backwards and said fvck germany and went out and played like he was possessed. We know that he bleeds RWB and brings that intensity even in training. Americans are supposed to love over achievers and dude is uberachiever. Yeah he may be getting a bit long in tooth, but we aint gonna tell him to lay down and die just yet. Now go back to your no slack headquarters.

2. CatDaddyTX

CatDaddyTX Member

Jan 18, 2005
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was pure genius, Back.

3. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Once again since you people refuse to actually read through my posts, my problem with Frankie is his quality of play, not his work rate or age. Bruce said recently that he laughs when he sees who he used to put into the USM roster because they would never make it today. I agree that attitude, determination, etc. are important. But they should not be the only reason why a guy makes the roster; skill trumps all of those.

4. Spectreman

Spectreman New Member

Feb 2, 2003
    NW America
    Hejduk, he can't be that bad can he? Arena seems to only change the roster when a player proves they should replace a current starter. Has any proven themselves to be more worthy to be on the team than Hejduk.

5. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC
    if skill should trump everything then Mathis would be called up for every Nats game.
    Surprisingly he hasn't had a call up since.... I don't know when.

6. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Zing!

7. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Wow you really got me on that one, especially since I said that Attitude and Determination are important. If they are the sole reason a player makes the team then no, it shouldn't be a lock.

As for a replacement, my view is that these GC games should be given to those who have yet to show what they really could contribute.

8. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC
    you said "trumps". that means everything else is disregarded.

9. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    The options in the middle are admittedly more numerous though. All I'm saying is that Frankie has gotten his chance to prove to Bruce that he belongs for '06, and he has proven that he has not improved since 02.

U.S. coach Bruce Arena, "Frankie needs to be a little bit smarter. He's got to learn from that. I don't know how much he's going to learn at this point in his career. ...He knew going into the game that he had a card. We've lost him to, in my opinion, two foolish yellow cards."

Time to stick to the MLS, Frankie just doesn't have the skills to be competing for a spot at this level.

10. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    great thread... good laughs. I did manage to avoid neg repping the newb who suggested we bring in a college player to the full national team however.

11. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    the biggest question is WHAT is arena looking for from hejduk, NOT what some poster perceives to be looking for....

at best, hejduk is a proven defensive back who has mobility....expecting a proficient attacking presence ignores what arena wants...

still, a 3 back set-up say gibbs onyewu and bocanegra with 2 wingbacks in beasley and cherundolo with a double d-mid of job and mastroeni, although job really is a holding mid would be something to expect....

I bet arena already has a very good idea of his approach next june...

and don't forget the 3 back route was where he went...

put yourself in arena's mind and figure out what he's doing....

it might NOT make sense to you, that's because you're approaching the situation without examining what arena really wants....

12. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Fine all I want is to avoid seeing Frankie get any starting time on the WC 06 team. Bring his deadweight along if the idea really pleases you, but the only thing he's proven is that he is a great athlete and a terrible soccer player. But have him fill a roster spot if the thought of leaving him behind makes you uneasy. You just put forward a line up that might work very well without him. At best hedjuk is a proven defensive back? At worst, he's a liability on the field.

You all are correct in one aspect. I've made a mistake saying that Frankie isn't the quality that the US could have. He's exactly why the US is a middle of the road team. Nobody is significantly better than him enough to end his USMN career anyway and no one in the US apparently recognizes this. Try comparing him with real defenders like John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Jaap Stam etc. Frankie is probably good enough to shine their shoes.

13. Mr. Knowledge

Mr. Knowledge New Member

May 10, 2001
    Baltimore
    I don't understand the arrogance of posters who feel compelled to call someone a newbie or chastize them for the topic that a poster, with substanially fewer posts, has brought up.

It has a chilling effect and discourages the free flow of thoughts and ideas. Who cares if a topic has already been beaten into the ground. Let the person post without making a rude comment towards them. Is it so difficult simply to ignore the thread or is it so difficult to say in a civilized manner, hey there was a great discussion about this back when (and perhaps direct them to the thread or advise them to use the search feature).

14. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    Re: SpeedyOne, it's time to retire this thread

Dude compare any Nat against the best players in the world at their positions. Calling him deadweight and a terrible player, damnit man get some balls a go call him to his face. You are obviously not American or a commie. Yeah WE GET your argument that we need someone better, DUH! Right now Frankie still has a big enough set to get a callup. Don't completely badmouth someone who has given his all, have some respect for what he's done. When there is someone better you will see it. Why don't you go over and start a Danny Mills must retire thread, eh.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incorrect. Trumps just means it's more important than ........... not that everything else is totally disregarded.

16. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005

Sigh. Why don't people read my posts. Like I've said Frankie's a good athlete but not a soccer player. I guess you're right, the next time I see Frankie I'll be sure to tell him he's useless, thanks for reminding me to schedule him in. And you're right, since I obviously am so interested in the fate of the US at WC 06, I'm a dirty, dirty Communist and Unamerican. I eat babies and kick puppies too. Just because I happen to be frustrated with the level of quality on the USMT, I'm the bad guy. At least people like Donovan, Beasley, Keller, JOB, Reyna, Cherundolo, Boca, etc. can conceivably hold their own against European competition. At this point in his career, Frankie can't, no. So try and read all these words and think about what I'm saying before you dismiss it entirely.

17. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

so tell us, who do we play in his place? you've done little but trolling thus far.

18. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005

READ MY OTHER POSTS ON THIS PAGE. I JUST SAID THAT THE LINEUP WITHOUT FRANKIE LOOKS LIKE IT COULD WORK JUST AS WELL. READ THE POSTS FOR CHRIST SAKES.

19. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    No I think your the one that needs to grow up son. Your thread starter was so well thought out because you are an immature idiot. Basically you want me to agree with you right away, but if I don't I'm an idiot. I understand alot more about soccer than you do jerky. You had to type up the oldest B.S. reason why you think your smarter than anyone else.

"You don't know anything about soccer"

Tell me how much you know you dumb stupid newbie arse. So I don't agree with you. So I think Hejduk still belongs and you are telling me I'm an idiot because my opinion doesn't jive with yours? Your an F'en Dic.

Your Thread starter got me to type my original response, I thought someone as immature as you are would understand that. Glad to see you can read.

20. CatDaddyTX

CatDaddyTX Member

Jan 18, 2005
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny stuff! Frankie belongs. He's got the chops and the stepover.

21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    ok there, so I read your posts, and you still have not mentioned a player to play in his place, or what type of lineup shift to use.

and if you claim I'm wrong... lets look at your posts.

1. no
    6. nothin
    9. nada
    19. nope
    23. still nothing
    25. nothing. stupid post to boot
    32. no
    34. again no
    37. same ole
    41. nope.
    43. give up already.

isnt summer vacation over for you yet?

22. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal

fixed your post

Why can't you realize that we understand that we need a better option than Frankie, hell we need 10 better options all over the field. But until that day comes you'd think that you could respect what the dude has done with the talent he has and not say the shite you have. Don't crap on the dudes that go to war for you. 100 years from now some guy is gonna dribble a ball in a grave yard and frankies foot is gonna pop out of the ground and take it.

23. mickhayafe

mickhayafe New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA

quote of the day...lol

24. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    #37. Then read the post before it. What's wrong with that line up?

Another thing. The name of the post is Frankie it's time to retire. So he's given 100% for the last two Cups, although 98 was a debacle anyway, fine it's time to step aside and let some of the new faces that have appeared since then take his place. Give some experience to younger players so they'll know what to expect in 2010. At this point it's not likely that we'll exactly overpower the competition in Germany so why not give the next generation a taste of what the future could hold? Any name I throw out is just going to get ripped so what's the difference between that and my pointing out the fact that Frankie's had a good run and now it's time to step aside?

Names for you to rip and then believe you're more informed and American than me: Onyewu, Gibbs, Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Spector, Whitbread, Mastroeni, Marshall, Burciaga, Dunivant. Are they all world beaters? No. But that's a pretty good sized list without seeing Hedjuk anywhere on there.

You want me to respect him? Fine I respect the man for doing what he has done. I've said before that he's a good athlete and he's used that to overshadow the fact that he is somewhat lacking in true soccer ability. You're right, I probably went a little overboard on the disrespect because Frankie's always respected the shirt he wears. I still think however that my point is valid; someone is going to take his place in South Africa and if he's just going to fill a utility role in Germany, maybe the experience should go to a younger option. So yes, I will apologize for completely badmouthing him, but my position on his retirement from the national side stays the same.

25. SwortSoul

SwortSoul New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    This is killing me! What is this Frankie magic step-over everyone is talking about? I've heard about it many times. Someone please post a link or something. I'm dying to see this.