News: France's Camille Abily lashes out at FIFA

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Dernhelm, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    "They Have To Stop Taking Us For Idiots"

As undeniably awesome as last night’s France-Germany match was, it was complete and utter bullshit that these two teams were forced to meet in the quarterfinals. Far from being an unforeseen, unlucky occurrence, this is exactly as FIFA planned it. And France’s Camille Abily, for one, is none too happy about that.

Abily was interviewed in French sports paper L’Équipe following her team’s disappointing loss. Much of the questions addressed how if feels to lose a game she know her team dominated, the impressiveness of France’s World Cup in spite of the result, and what her plans are in the future. The interviewer also made time to get the midfielder’s opinion on the bracket itself, which saw the world’s number one-ranked team face the third-ranked one in the second knockout round:

Isn’t the main frustration at having to face Germany so early in the competition?

“Yes, unfortunately, we are going back to that but FIFA did not conduct a real draw. This is not to blame them [for the loss] but why don’t we do it like the boys? A1 is Canada and for the rest, we would’ve be drawn randomly according to our seeding (*). Do not tell me that for the World Cup, there wasn’t anybody in Moncton! At some point they have to stop taking us for idiots ... I’m sorry but if they did a real draw, maybe we would not have played Germany or the United States after. Inevitably, it’s frustrating even if we knew this from the start. The hope was still to go all the way, as we proved Friday.”

*FIFA has arbitrarily placed the seeded teams in the different groups for sporting reasons and concerning location, according to Jérôme Valcke, the secretary general of the international body.

To clarify exactly what Abily was getting at,this SI article explains the particularities of the WWC’s seeding process:

France and Germany were two of the six seeded teams for the WWC draw last December. But unlike in the men’s World Cup, where seeded teams (other than the host nation) are drawn randomly into their groups, FIFA decided before the draw which groups all the seeded teams would be in at the Women’s World Cup.

[...]

When I asked FIFA why it would arrange a likely marquee matchup between No. 1 and No. 3 in the quarterfinals, a spokesperson noted that the Women’s World Cup is different from the men’s World Cup. Basically, FIFA feels like it needs to put certain teams in certain cities to sell tickets and in certain time zones to help with TV ratings back home.

“Similar to previous draws for FIFA Women’s World Cups like Germany in 2011, teams are seeded ... and allocated into specific groups for ticketing and promotion reasons,” the FIFA spokesperson replied. “Whilst the interest in the FIFA Women’s World Cup has grown significantly over the last years, the success and great interest from the public in the tournament in Germany in 2011 can’t be compared to the Brazil [men’s] World Cup. Filling the stadia is a FIFA and host association key objective. The allocation of teams to venues, the ticketing and promotion plan and the ticket price strategy are among the key factors for the overall success of the event.”

So that’s why FIFA placed the seeded teams in their respective groups and locations. Fair enough. But why couldn’t FIFA still have done a random draw to determine where the group winners would be placed in the bracket in the knockout rounds? I asked FIFA that question, but it wasn’t addressed in the organization’s response.

You can see how this would piss you off. The most charitable interpretation of these draw decisions are that France and Germany got screwed because FIFA wanted to sell more tickets throughout the rounds. FIFA was probably banking on a good turnout because of the strength of the teams involved and because of the French-speaking Canadians (yesterday’s game took place in Montreal) eager to support a team that speaks the mother tongue. Abily questions that premise when she asks whether, say, a hypothetical, randomly drawn France-Australia match would’ve been well-attended had it been in Moncton.

However, you just as easily could read in more sinister machinations. The U.S. were placed in by far the most difficult group of the tournament, but would still have needed to completely collapse not to come out on top. Similarly, Canada’s group wasn’t the easiest either, with three of the four teams making it all the way to the quarterfinals, though the Canadians were still favorites. It’s not too much of a stretch to wonder if FIFA placed the U.S. and Canada in those difficult but winnable groups to distract everyone from the relative cake walk they’d in the knockout rounds.

America has to have the biggest viewing audience for the WWC, and is also probably the first- or second-biggest in-person attendees of the games. A good USWNT showing would be very good for FIFA’s pockets. Likewise, the local Canadian team going far would also squeeze the maximum amount of juice out of the host nation. None of it smells right, especially when FIFA admits that they drew up the bracket to make the most money.

Unfortunately for Abily, her teammates, and fans who appreciate the greatness of her team, France were a casualty of FIFA’s greed. It’s not too much of a stretch to believe they were set up to fail.

SOURCE: http://screamer.deadspin.com/french-player-slams-fifa-they-have-to-stop-taking-us-1714392198

2. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    France needs to learn how to finish..

Metropolitan, cloak and debzy repped this.
  3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nothing new but quite understandable that Abily agrees to it.

gricio61 repped this.
  4. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Yes they were better than Germany and got screwed by the draw, officiating and their coach/manager. Tough luck.

5. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    True , I didn't appreciate Camille interview...even though she is not completely wrong...because we had the big chances to win it missing two incredible sitter...and Thiney acting like nothing happen..typical Gaetane....but to I don't agree on blaming FIFA for our elimination.

ps: and I hope they (FIFA) will not suspend Abily as she is not Wambach...

The Legendary captain Soso Bompastor did a wonderful interview today where she said what is obvious "you can't miss such opportunities at this level of competition and believe you still can win....it's impossible"...Sonia has always said things as they are...which always provoke love and hate, fascination and detestation on her... I truly hope they gonna give her a big role in french football...with her we are in safe hands.

gricio61, Dernhelm and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  6. Theseofam

Theseofam Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Well, you chose to join the rigged event to begin with.

7. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I love Sonia. But how will she fit into the program if they keep Bergeroo (who is an upstanding, classy gentleman). Anyway i think at this point the only thing Les Bleues lack is grit and mental fortitude. Somehow i feel they weren't too excited by the penalties waiting for others to speak up (esp the veterans) which led to Lavogez volunteering a dangerous role.

8. Theseofam

Theseofam Member

Feb 10, 2005
    The penalty awarded to Germany was a disgrace. France should have won in regulation....but it didn't...maybe FIFA has rigged the outcomes too so as to maximize TV ratings and attendance. So, I see Canada and Japan winning today.

9. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    #9 law10, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    I realized reading that why I like her so much. It's her purity and innocence. I have a young relation who sees the world with the same sense of justice. We all start that way and some of us have a stronger sense than others. Some of us also end up appreciating the complexity of the world on a bigger scale. The motto I remember when I was young that people said to me at different points was "play the game." I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard. Maybe 20 years later it dawned on me like a revelation and the skies opened; play the game. It's all a game. There are duels and battles and wins and losses. You win the kickoff times, you lose the way the draw could possibly have worked out. Don't get caught up in them; win the game. With France hosting in 2019, I wonder if someone in the federation is saying thanks Camille, next question...

debzy repped this.
  10. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I know someone who compares her so much to Japan's Aya Miyama. They are so alike in terms of modesty, purity and innocence as you say. Hopefully Aya can avenge her and the French somehow. I actually fancied a France/Japan final for a while...

debzy and blissett repped this.
  11. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I honestly can't believe how convinced everyone is that it was a bad PK call, I wanted France to win and still thought it was a stone cold PK I mean her arm was completely away from her body and parallel to the ground and stopped a dangerous ball.

jackiesdad repped this.
  12. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And France have nobody to blame but themselves for their choking in 2012 and now 2015. They are probably my favourite open-play team in the world but I have little sympathy for them.

13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Apart from the one poster everyone is convinced it was a pen. The experts on the BBC also said for them it was no pen but their explanation why not was not according to what the rules say.

14. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Everything Sonia have in abundance as player and assistant manager that's why her presence is a guarantee of victories for France (or any other team)...in my opinion.

I have a strange feeling on Lavogez since she was a teenager...she is good girl but for me it seems like she makes everything to be the Star of the team...for the moment is just a feeling but there is something not so innocent in her way to play..and I am not talking about the dive.

Absolutely true , this is exactly how Camille Abily is.

Dernhelm repped this.
  15. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Also there is always an unfortunate element to every draw, such as this. That is the nature of a draw. Look at Group D. Yet it is never bad to have regional rivals play QF such as Germany-France, Australia-Japan.

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Except that there was no real draw with the group heads?

exref and JanBalk repped this.
  17. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    It was a brutal loss for France. I agree that FIFA's placement of the seeded teams was crap, but France need to look themselves in the mirror and take Bompastor's words to heart: they simply choke on too many finishable opportunities. In 2011 they outshot the USA by a wide margin. In 2012 they dominated Canada and yet missed out on a medal. In 2015 Necib and Thiney missed simple shots that would've ultimately won the game.

With France hosting in 2019, and coming up short here, you get the sense lots of the core will try to stick around for one more shot. But will they be over the hill by then? Bouhaddi (32), Houara (31), Georges (34), Boulleau (32), Abily (34), Bussaglia (33), Thomis (32), Necib (32), Thiney (33), Delie (31). Who will stick around and who will make way?

Dernhelm repped this.
  18. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
  19. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    All true what the French player said, but had they won it would be a different story. Of course it would of been the Germans voicing their opinion. To be honest with the semi in Montreal they were probably suppose to be the team who won. A USA matchup with France would of sold the most tickets. The tickets were almost already sold out last time I checked ticketmaster (which was before the quarter finals even started). In the end all valid points, but its about winning the world cup not getting 2nd or 3rd. The 3rd place match serves two purposes $ and to decide who is better between the semi final losers. It's not infact a true 3rd place without a losers bracket.

20. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #20 Metropolitan, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Just so that you know, "idiots" in French doesn't have the strong meaning it has in English. The word is spellt the same, but the French meaning is more "fools" than "idiots" as perceived in English.

Same is true as well for "stupid", which actually only means "silly" in French, but which means "mentally retarded" in English.

I had in the past many troubles using those words while speaking in English. So now I've learnt to be very cautious about that. However, it's not the first time that this subtility is lost in a press translation.

blissett repped this.
  21. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The first time I'll find a Canadian from Ontario (especially Toronto) "having sympathy for the French", I'll celebrate in opening a bottle of champagne! :laugh:

You guys probably don't know but you're known in France to be the most francophobic in all the cultural Anglosphere. And that means a lot considering it's not precisely the countries in the world in which we are the most popular. ;)

22. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes FIFA manipulated the bracket hoping for USA and Canada wins for attendance. Germany and France blame yourselves for not adequately supporting your women's teams! If you did so, FIFA would not have to resort to these machinations to make money. Look at all the empty seats in so many matches which weren't USA or Canada! Is it USA's fault we have so many fans? No it's not it's a GOOD thing we do, time for you other "powerhouses" to support as well. Don't blame us because we're popular!

23. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is some next level defensiveness :ROFLMAO:, but I'm going to bite my tongue. Did you miss the part where I said France are kind of my favourite team? I'm actually half French too.

24. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    How hypocritical. :rolleyes:
    I'm too old for this crap.

25. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Abily and her french comrades are not champions.
    Championship teams find ways to overcome adversity and win.
    They overcome "bad calls" on the field of play.
    They overcome a bad matchup -- even one created by the organizers
    They overcome injuries.
    They take responsibility for winning.

France had their chances to score in the first half. They did not -- and they had enough of them to probably secure the match. They are just another non-championship team, unable to get it done.