France vs. Swiss (R) - who do we want?

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seoul Man, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Seoul Man

Seoul Man Member

Sep 17, 2001
    World Wide Web
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Now that we got past Togo, which team do we want to win in the France v. Swiss match?

I am going to assume both will beat Togo.

That leaves us with 3 possible outcomes today:
    1) France wins
    2) Swiss wins
    3) Draw

I will state the obvious: we will not beat both teams. On paper, we probably have a better chance of earning a point against the Swiss (win or draw). If true, we need a France win today, and if we win against Swiss, we are through to the next round.

I am rooting for France to win, for purely selfish reasons that Korea has a better chance to advance based on my assumptions.

Any thoughts?

2. Seoul Man

Seoul Man Member

Sep 17, 2001
    World Wide Web
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Switzerland looks frickin tough. Big, young, fast... I think they may give us more trouble than France. France are a bunch of pansies. They are talented but no heart. Minute 24, Swiss should have scored but hit the post. Riberry is the best player on France, he is fast and creative.

3. songjim

songjim Member

Dec 9, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    First, if France win and we draw Switzerland, Switzerland can still get through on goal difference if we lose to France. Second, I'll take a draw. Reason being, we play France next game and it's then a win and in scenario. Otherwise, a draw in the Swiss-Togo game means we have an excellent chance to get in with a draw (though it doesn't clinch). Best case scenario, 0-0 draw, followed by another 0-0 draw in the Togo-Switzerland game. That way, even a draw means we can get a decent chance to go through.

If France and Togo both beat the Swiss, we have all three teams tied at 3 points going into the last game. Follow that with a win and that means we again clinch.

So to sum up cheer for either a draw now or both teams to beat the Swiss.

4. Seoul Man

Seoul Man Member

Sep 17, 2001
    World Wide Web
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You're right, if France beats Swiss, and then both beat Togo, we probably will need need a win against Swiss to clinch (if we lose to France) because I believe they will score at least 3 on Togo.

Watching the game, I am beginning to think we may have a better chance against France than Swiss so far.

5. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    If France is going to top the group it's best that Switzerland lose.

6. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    France is easier to handle than Switzerland for South Korea. So the best would be for Switzerland to beat France and Togo.

7. hypnotik

hypnotik Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Gwang Ghetto Wang
    Hopefully France and Switz can tie so our chances of advancing increases.
    We should beat Switz 1-0 and tie with France 0-0 or 1-1

8. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

yes, in this scenario we need a tie

9. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Friggin Swiss are playing a pussy game here. Obviously looking for the safe tie with sights set higher on matches to follow.

10. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree. The Swiss seemed to enjoy a high octane, full press game. The kind we struggle against.

11. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Zidane with a yellow.

Never realized how wicked that man's widow's peak was...

12. 12th Warrior

12th Warrior Member+

May 27, 2006
    Question: Do yellow cards follow the player throughout the tournament and will France and Swiss getting lots of yellows make them play less aggressively in future matches?

13. Seoul Man

Seoul Man Member

Sep 17, 2001
    World Wide Web
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Only in group play. Two yellows in separate games makes the player ineligible for the next game.

14. Ffperson

Ffperson New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    after some thought we need someone to win!
    if they tie, and we can only tie and lose our next matches, and sui and fra both beat togo, then both sui and fra advance without goal differential looked at.

We need Togo to take points, hopefully from the loser of FRA-SUI

15. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm watching this game. For what I have seen until now, we can beat both teams... Clearly, it's only a supposition...

16. hypnotik

hypnotik Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Gwang Ghetto Wang
    Since its a tie, its much better for us.
    All we need is a win and we advance

17. Seoul Man

Seoul Man Member

Sep 17, 2001
    World Wide Web
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    0-0 draw!

Not a bad result from Korea's perspective.

We are in good position. We need one more win and we are in the round of 16.

18. hypnotik

hypnotik Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Gwang Ghetto Wang
    I can smell Korea advancing with 9 points :D :D :D

19. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Im hopeful but I think we are going to have a very difficult time with Swiss. They are far too organized. Boring...but organized. Swiss are straight up poachers. That is their tactic. We do any of that paddy-cake pass crap and we will be exposed sometime during the match.

France looks completely listless. Utterly lost.

20. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    It's gonna be tough. Switzerland is gonna be tough to score against. France is tough.

21. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Another fu<king draw? Jeez, that's 3 draws in a row. Are they even trying out there?

22. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So far the breaks in the WC have gone our way, except I wish we could have piled more goals on Togo :mad:

We just need one win against either Swiss or France and we're in. Can't ask for anything more. I'm going to assume that Swiss and France will beat Togo by more than 1 goal so tying both Swiss and France won't be enough.

It'd be great if Togo did the job for us and pulled off a surprise victory over Swiss or France. :D

23. gochujang

gochujang Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Winning one of our next 2 games is the hardest part. If we played like we did today against Togo then France and Swiss are gonna rape us, it'll end up 5-0 to France just like in the 2001 Confederations Cup. We won today but we've got a lot of problems to sort out in our defence and we seriously need to work on our passing. Hopefully, we'll learn from our mistakes today and take the game aggressively to the French and the Swiss.

24. Goal!!

Goal!! Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

totally agree! and now we're on top of the group too! :D

25. songjim

songjim Member

Dec 9, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes, this is the result we wanted. Now a win in either game gets us in. On two draws and two losses by Togo mean it comes down to goal difference/goals scored. We'd go through if either teams win 1-0 (no better) against Togo.

Now we root for a draw for Switzerland or at most a 1-0 win against Togo. That means if we draw France, we still go through if we get a draw against Switzerland (goals scored). If Switzerland draw Togo and we lose to France, we go through on a draw with Switzerland most likely (Togo needs to beat France and there needs to be goal difference for Togo to go through).