France vs Cyprus (Oct. 12th) - WC Qualifying [R]

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by Metropolitan, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So let's discuss about Wednesday game. I've seen there wasn't a dedicated thread so I'm making one. :)

I'll actually be at the Stade de France to see the game. As I see it, Domenech should line up a very offensive team in order to target to win it 5-0 (moreover, as I'll be at the stadium, I want to enjoy the show :D ). Furthermore, I'm not sure Cypriot forwards would be that dangerous for our defenders (which I still consider as rather good).

We can expect Cyprus to play defensive, avoiding France to qualify would be a great victory for them. So what is the strategy France should use ? Do we need to stay in the back and play the counters to free more space or should we get a truely offensive team besieging Cyprus goalie ?

Let's discuss about it ! :)

2. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The only advice I have to give is : Start Cisse!!!!

3. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Maybe it's time to recall Papin and Cantona to start up front.

My team would look something like this.....

----------------Coupet
    Thuram---Blanc---Desailly---Gallas
    --------Deschamps---Maka------
    Zidane------------------------Platini
    ----------Cantona
    -----------------Papin

4. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wouldn't it be a waste to put Zidane and Platini on the wings ?

5. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well yes, but they would both have the liberty to roam towards the middle, with both maka and deschamps covering any attacks on the wings. I think this lineup would get Domenech's average team age to around 44. I think that would be a nice balance for the WC.

6. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Thankfully this match is on TV5....

7. Amerikaki

Amerikaki Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Queens
    Well i was rooting for France against Switzerland but must now hope that Cyprus kicks your asses!!!!!!!

Probably not gonna happen but I have to hope!!

8. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I have a feeling Cyprus will be feeling confident after the game they had against Ireland. Irish played pretty poor but you also have to give credit to the Cypriots for piling on the pressure. Had it not been for Given's excellent saves it could easily have been a tie game.

9. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's why France must concentrate on beating them first, they'll care about the scoring if they can. A win and we're not eliminated. Thinking that Cyprus is just a moving target would be an error, they can score.

Teams like Cyprus or the Feroe Islands are representing tiny countries, but with all those qualifying matches, their squad have been gathering a lot of experience, it's a little bit like Nimes (div III ?) who got used to playing big guns and usually get deep in the French Cup.

10. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    Like I said in the Swiss match:

my recollection is us scoring 2 goals (Henry's only other anything in the qualifiers besides Ire v) and a triple save from Barthez.

So I don't know where this hammering is going to come from, but I doubt from us. I hope.. but I doubt.

11. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    I'm quite confident we'll win, but by more than 2 goals?

edit: I would also like to hope Zidane does not collapse from exhaustion on the field.

12. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    like nabawan said, let's concentrate on winning first, this team isn't known for scoring unfortunately :(

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    More like a Cypriot win.

Cyprus are a mediocre side at best, but haven't lost any games by huge amounts. Figure France 2-0/2-1/3-0/3-1, something like that.

14. israel972

israel972 New Member

May 30, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    cyprus can suprise france, cyprus deserved all 3 points against ireland and without any strikers it's hard to see france scoring goals

cisse's goal against switzerland was a fluke and was because of the goalies huge mistake

face it..henry and trezuget are much better than cisse

prediction

cyprus 2 - 0 france

Constantino 32"
    Constantino 89"

יעלה קפריסין!!!!!!!מלחמה
    לפעמים חלומות מתגשמים

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i see you can still get really good hash in israel!

17. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I imagine you'll be as present as the other trollers after France win.... Like dust in the wind you guys.
    You face it.... Israel are done. There's always 2010.

18. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    So are we definately in if Switzerland loses and we win?

19. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If Switzerland tie or lose and France win, then you can book your ticket to Germany. Or if France win by 4 more goals than by what Switzerland win. Simply stated, if Switzerland win 0-1, then France must win 5-0 and it's automatic. If France win then they are assured a place in a playoff no matter what happens in the other matches.

20. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    geez I hate having our fate in the hands of the Irish

21. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I wouldn't worry about a thing.
    [​IMG]

22. IrishGary

IrishGary New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Cork, Ireland
    Hey i resent that remark!! Haha sure ye know ye can trust us France! :D :D At the end of the day laddie tis only a game! But seriously i think if the Swiss were to play anybody in their last game it would be a tough Irish side in Dublin. Ye were extremely lucky to escape with the three points. and at the end of the day we can still qualify so theres no need to worry about leaving things up to the boys in green!
    Slan leat anois agus ceapaim go raibh Eire an tir ata i gCoup an Domhain 2006!
    Anyone for a pint!

23. EstebanGranero23

Sep 25, 2005
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I please know why the hell Domenech dosent pick Giuly???? He is amazing, I think he should replace Malouda.
    This is the probable team I got from Yahoo!:
    France: 23-Gregory Coupet; 19-Willy Sagnol, 15-Lilian Thuram, 2-Jean-Alain Boumsong, 5-William Gallas; 18-Alou Diarra, 4-Patrick Vieira, 7-Florent Malouda, 10-Zinedine Zidane; 11-Sylvain Wiltord, 9-Djibril Cisse.

24. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, I guess Cyprus will stay in the back to avoid France to score. A solution to get through their wall could be speed in counters. As such, I indeed believe Giuly could really help us on the right wing. For the same reason, I hope Cisse will be lined up instead of Wiltord... simply because he's faster.

Of course we need to be solid as much in defense as in the midfield otherwise we wouldn't have balls to give to forwards, but that doesn't mean we should start without any finisher.

I don't think we necessarily need two forwards in front. Cisse could be alone in front if he's backed with offensive midfielders such as Giuly (or Pires or Rothen :( ). I may be wrong but that's how I feel it.

25. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think Domenech will have his chance in this game to prove if he has any stategic ability at all. The players he fields must be offensive without leaving any obvious holes in the defense.

No Giuly - bad but perhaps Wiltord can do the job
    No Pires - its too late for him now anyway...he's been pretty much forgotten.

I feel that in this type of game, with like you said a team which will pack their own half, quality crossed to Cissé's head could make the difference. A Rothen-type player would have been a good choice.