Foxsportsworld: Knee-jerk

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by djdustmite, Apr 8, 2004.

1. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    http://www.foxsportsworld.com/content/view?contentId=2294996

"After one wild and wacky week of play in Major League Soccer, it's already time for new and improved knee-jerk projections.

There were a number of dynamic developments Saturday that led to this:

--The L.A. Galaxy are so good they will be the first MLS team to get through an entire season undefeated. They might tie some, but they won't lose. Guaranteed. How could you even ponder considering otherwise?

--The unexpected and immediate rise to glory of the MetroStars makes them an easy pick to smash D.C. United for the Eastern Conference title"

+snip+

MLS power rankings

1. L.A. Galaxy - Best team. Best stadium. Best uniforms. Simply put, they might be too good for this league.

2. MetroStars - Easily the best team east of the San Andreas Fault.

+snip+

I thought this was the first place where the boys have gotten the proper nod.

2. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    galaxy have the best uniforms?

"Joe Rogan, I smoke rocks."

3. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Rise to glory? After just one game against a crappy team? That might be a fitting phrase after they play like that for the season but now it just adds to the annual overblown expectations nonsense Metro fans have had to endure season after season. I take everything from FSW with a grain of salt anyway.

4. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Hey, don't get me wrong. I think very little of the writing at FSW as a whole. (Though "get the beers in" Webster does a pretty good job.) And you present a very logical stance when you suggest that such statements are premature.

However, this is a Metrostars team loaded with talent and I don't find high expectations to be overblown or nonsensical. This team has no excuse not to perform at a very high level this year.

I was interested in this article because few (in the media) have paid any notice to the potential of the Metros. So long is the shadow cast by the Freddy machine.

5. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even if the crew have a terrible defense we were without a bunch of our top offseason signees. imagine how good we'll be with them. Sure nothing is guaranteed, but i think we have a good shot at making the mls cup this year.

6. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think any regular column by any media outlet on MLS is a good thing, regardless of how they treat the Metros. Disagree with Jim Reineking? Send him an email: jreineking@foxsports.com. I'm sure FSW will be pleased that folks care enough about MLS to write.

7. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    The article is supposed to be over-the-top, don't take it so seriously. That's why it's called "knee jerk reactions".

Do you think the writer was serious when he wrote that the Galaxy wouldn't lose this year, or that the Earthquakes would be lucky to win a game?

8. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    I didn't take the article seriously at all, hence my overblown expectations statement. Metro fans have been subjected to the donkey chasing the carrot bit (world class this, knock your socks off that, new stadium blah blah blah, etc.) for too long.