Foxborough Pass Public Drunkeness Law....#@$%&!!!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Chowda, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Oh wow, I didn't see that part, Rob.

So a cop can see someone stumbling over him/herself, issue a ticket, and send them on their way? If this were something they can tack onto an arrest, it sits well with me. If it is akin to the way they can slip a ticket under your wipers for illegal parking, it does not.

2. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    From the video on Fox 25's site the police chief disagrees with you (1:29-1:35):
    http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news...o-fine-people-for-public-drunkenness-20110307

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1322002&srvc=rss

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news...o-fine-people-for-public-drunkenness-20110307
    You need not be taken in to custody to receive the $200 fine, merely being publicly intoxicated is enough.

3. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry guys but sometimes the towns and the police do the right thing......in this case i support this 100%!!!.....as a person who goes to every patriots game and drinks beer at every one, as well as revs games....I can not stand the turds who feel like it is their duty to fit a years worth of drinking into one day....ya know the guy who breaks out the handle of whiskey and starts drinking right from the bottle and staggers his way across route 1 swearing at every person wearing a different color jersey!!!

I think the enforcement is the same as it was last year, except you get hit for 200 beans....IMO is should be 500 for the aggravation the cops go through to have to book these fools. Lets stop trying to make everything a constitutional issue. It is not unheard of to attach monetary fines to misdemeanor arrests, in fact i believe most already have monetary fines. And as far as i am concerned the measure for who is drunk and who is not, is the same today as it was yesterday....what do your eyes and ears tell you...COMMON SENSE

4. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there goign to be a breathalyzer associated with this? because if not I sse a lot of tickets being overturned on an appeal in court, which will cost the town more.

5. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I agree to a point, but let's hope the cops also use common sense and don't abuse their power by issuing citations left and right just to make a quota.

6. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Being booked or arrested is not necessary for the issuance of a ticket, merely being "publicly intoxicated" is. The fine is a civil matter. (according to the Sun Chronicle)

Good question, and can they punish you for refusing? Implied consent exists in DUI/OUI cases because driving is a privilege. I think I remember reading that breathalyzers were issued during the NYRB parking lot fiasco (Red Bull supporters showed up to a Red Bull [drink company] pre-game function at Gillette, TeamOps was called on them - it did not end well).

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Wait, in the threads about Joseph's arrest in Orlando, I thought that people were supposed to keep their mouths shut and just do what the cops said? Otherwise, you deserve what you get ... I'm confused. :confused:

8. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If Joseph was outside because of a fire in his room, he wouldn't have gotten arrested. The cops would have done everything they could to put out the fire and/or call the fire department. If you are stumbling around due to a bad reaction from your meds or a pre-existing condition, the officer walking up to arrest you would be alerted and do everything he could to make sure you were alright and call the medics if applicable. That's their job.

You are barking up the wrong chowdatree here. I'm a law and order guy. I'd have gladly voted Nixon in 1968. Smelly hippies were running amok. Joseph was belligerently loitering in Orlando, but that incident bored me to be honest.

9. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure people have advocated standing up to cops if they try to issue a ticket... they are advocating lookign into whther this law is a reasonable and be if it would hold up on an appeal in court... A cop writesd me a ticket i'm gonna take it... and then appeal the ticket and force them to prove I was drunk... good luck with that.

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Sadly, this is not always true.

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Unfortunately I've seen too many situations where they don't want to hear a word from anyone.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    no it did not end well at all. no breathalyzers were issued. That actually would have prevented some issues from happening had they been offered.

13. Landfill27

Landfill27 New Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Waterbury, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    holy loopholes batman! :-d

14. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    From The Sun Chronicle
    Towns' drunk fines illegal?
    Foxboro, Mansfield defend bylaws, others say it's a no-go
    More: http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2011/06/21/foxboro/9710597.txt

15. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States