FOX Sports San Diego

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by Lithium858, May 7, 2011.

1. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this is a good place as any to write this, but it looks like the Padres will be leaving 4SD for FOX Sports Net and naming it FOX Sports San Diego. That would open an opportunity for other San Diego sports teams to be shown. Here's a piece of an article from the North County Times:

If the Sockers were shown, why couldn't SD Boca or Flash too? That would definitely help the sport and would be a good way to see how interested people really are interested. FSN should air a few select home games for each...especially the "classico" or whatever name they want to call Boca-Flash games.

2. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good point, and it would make sense depending on how much it would cost to air those games
    any exposure is good exposure as long as it doesn't break the bank

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ONly issue would be cost. It's not cheap to get on a TV network like that.

4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true. They weren't even on 4SD LOL

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be an opportunity there. 4SD is going to need some programming and won't be nearly as pricey.

As for FSNSD. Hopefully they'll consider picking up Club Tijuana games if they earn the jump up to the FMF next week. Having our obstensibly "local" top level soccer team on the sports network with our top level baseball team would be a very cool thing. And a great way to spread interest in soccer and the Xolos.

6. rawr

rawr Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Cali
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    About the Xolos: Should we have a thread for them in this forum, since they're pretty close to being in the 1st division? Just wondering. :)

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see why not. First or second division they're easily the highest level and best soccer team in the San Diego/Tijuana region (hell you can argue they're the best soccer team within 150 miles after the Xolos beat the Galaxy in March)

8. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine the Xolos might be even more pricey since it's international feed. Then again I'm not sure what the prices are for broadcasts.

9. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to give everyone a heads up, in case you didn't know...FSN SD is scheduled to launch this Monday.

10. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have the time at which it will air or any re run

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they don't have the money to make it happen. The Sockers do better financially than Boca and the Flash.

FSN is not in the business of "helping the sport."

Given the Flash's best-ever crowd was around 900 people, you're unlikely to convince FSN that there's this big audience for those games. They're not going to just broadcast them out of the goodness of their hearts. Broadcasting doesn't work that way.

Now, if one or both teams wanted to buy the time and sell advertising, I would guess FSN would take their money like they would with anyone wanting to air an infomercial. But I don't believe either team has the resources to do that, nor do I think they could recoup their costs.

The broadcasting business simply doesn't work like (too) many people here think it works.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea which channels, services, etc?

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where I think channel 4 comes in. They show marginal sports like high school basketball and football all the time. Hell I just watched Aztecs baseball last night on channel 4. I'm sure something could be done for an economical amount.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Economical to whom?

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The teams. It's far cheaper to buy your way on to Ch 4 than say FSN.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can do low-rent TV economically. You can't do good TV economically. And in 2012, soccer televised "economically" has to compete with a whole lot of other soccer that's televised well (not to mention televising games with <900 people attending them doesn't "help" the sport).

Just out of curiosity, what would you estimate to be the cost to produce a game and what are you assuming the annual budgets of Boca and the Flash to be?

Now, multiply what you think it costs to produce a game times the "handful of select home games" they're going to televise. Then add the costs to promote those telecasts, because you won't get any return if nobody knows they're on. So are you going to pay to promote them, or is Channel 4? (Hint: It's not Channel 4.)

Now, would it be impossible? No. But you'd need to find someone to underwrite a bunch of the costs, and sponsors are unlikely to cover the freight on this.

There's a reason low-budget NPSL teams don't do this: because they're low-budget. And because it costs more than you think it does. And the return is less.

17. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/feb/16/new-fox-sports-san-diego-launch-around-march-5/

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine it'll be on TW, Directv, and Dish eventually. That was the whole point of moving to FSN was to get greater coverage since Ch 4 is cable only. However knowing TW's history with this it'll be a last minute thing because they're stingier negotiators.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things I've recently found out:

1 - The Flash/Boca game had, supposedly from an eyewitness, 350 people in attendance, maybe.
    2 - When Boca plays in Phoenix next week, they will bus over and back the same day to avoid hotel costs. 350 miles each way.

So tell me again how these teams can afford to do TV?

21. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree with that

that's pretty common for away trips actually its not such a bad scenario since usually in away trips you have more than one team to face
    I can't remember what teams from up north last season faced boca or flash on one day then the other the following day
    teams must of learned something since it looks like no one is doing that this season which makes sense considering a charter bus rate vs hotel

even though I have my doubts, I would like to know if either team were in the green last season or broke even
    either way I doubt any team had funds to get TV time cause it ain't cheap, at least that's what I've been told