Fox Sports amateur hour

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dspence2311, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Joe Kurr

Joe Kurr Member

Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    Mar 21, 2017
    #76 Joe Kurr, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    What a joke of post match coverage. Your TEAM just went through and that's it!? A 20 minute post match show with about 10 minutes of commercials and then Fox stations put on Judge Mathis, or whatever your local station put on. Then you look to FS1 and there's NOTHING but Stephen A Smith type shows not even discussing the match today, or what's on tap for tomorrow. I can say confidently if this was ESPN or NBC, they would have gave it the attention it deserves.

2. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So bad. So bad!

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox has been relying on the same analysts for way too long.

madvillain repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a disconnect I can't fathom regarding hyping the USA game for three days, before, during and after every other game being shown. It's been USA this, USA that for 72 hours.

And then to follow it all up by not have a post game show after the win.

5. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, trash. I got Pictionary.

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I had a post game show. It was riddled with commercials, though.

7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading this thread makes me feel fortunate I'm bilingual and can watch on Telemundo, which has been doing a great job. I was going to give watching the US games on Fox a chance but the ass kissing of Qatar on the first day turned me off too much.

Chesco United repped this.
  8. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For how long did Fox know this tournament was being switched from the summer to the winter? Months? A year and a half? Given the long lead time, they should have made plans with local Fox affiliates and FS1 to preempt whatever programming was slotted so they could do a proper post game instead of the crap they put out.
    Then too, Fox probably thinks their nightly recap show is all the “post game” show that’s needed.

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    You think that's bad? I was in Hawaii last week and the local Fox station ran local morning news over several of the games.

10. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    No. seriously? awful..... that's' worse than what I had this morning which was hilarious.

Well so I finished watching the Ecuador Senegal match. Figured my Fox Chanel would go to a pregame. Nope, cuts to a local news feed. But they're in tune. They got a World Cup/USMNT story ready. The guy starts talking about the Tyler Adams media interview. It's all over the place. Guy pronounces it I-Ran just as he's trying to explain the pronunciation is wrong. comical. They try to cut to the video...."I guess we don't have the video".... Lulz. I switched to FS1, to "enjoy" some actual coverage.

gogorath repped this.
  11. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently in France today, the TV broadcast ended and cut to commercial before VAR took away what appeared to be the game tying goal. So a good number of French fans didn't know they lost until they checked social media later

It could be always be worse

Chesco United repped this.
  12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I remember with the Algeria match in 2010. Donovan scores, Algeria loses its cool and gets the red card, and then the US win. ESPN stuck with the coverage and embraced the moment. Continued to show the atmosphere and various interviews and celebrations after the goal.

In comparison, in my recording of the Iran match on Fox yesterday, they showed 60 seconds of closeups and then ran to a lengthy commercial break.

Pathetic.

olephill2, ShayG, Father Ted and 2 others repped this.
  13. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really have to wonder how peoples’ view of any particular World Cup is colored by how the network airing the tournament in their country covers the games (pre, post and in game). Unless your country wins the Cup, or your country makes an unexpected run deep in the tournament, does someone’s perception of the tournament rest on the coverage of the tournament itself?

gogorath repped this.
  14. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think it absolutely does. The narrative gets shaped by whomever is writing the history. At heart, we’re such irrational creatures (although most won’t or don’t want to admit it) that we carry around so many beliefs about the world that are simply products of social conditioning.

The “Americans can’t play football” belief is mostly perpetuated by those who have zero knowledge of American soccer - past, present or future prospects. Even though we made it through the group, the specific words, images and emotional content can be so handpicked to slant the story.

Sorry for long rant, but I find narrative and social belief systems to be profoundly interesting.

15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Upon Germany making it 3-2, the Fox PbP announcer says that Spain has to get an equalizer to go through, forgetting that goal difference is the first tiebreaker.

17. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hour long video podcast with only audio is risking losing interest from most anyone.

18. Joe Kurr

Joe Kurr Member

Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    Mar 21, 2017
    Let's talk about JP. This is my personal view, but I find JP to be awful and someone who really takes away from the excitement of a match.

19. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN's coverage of this World Cup has been so much better than Fox's coverage

jaykoz3 and Burr repped this.
  20. umop_apisdn

umop_apisdn Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The World Cup bracket is now set."

Queue image with Japan and Spain's places swapped.

Absolute buffoons. No care whatsoever in the presentation they're putting out.

This tournament has had the wildest outcomes of any I can remember but this flavorless coverage does mute some of the enjoyment of it.

acima repped this.
  21. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    There were so many built in and in tournament narratives they could have latched on to and exploited to really sell the excitement of the first round and they took advantage of none of it.. I get that its the program for the “non-fan” but just a slight effort in selling the narrative of these matches would endear folks even more to the sport… it would educate away from whatever “its boring” “ties are stupid” narratives that some in the audience might have…
    Not knowing how to close out the days coverage and selling just how great the matches of the day have been and how they affect the narrative going forward is just wasteful….But I get it, lets not waste the lead-in for more Maury Povich lie detector or paternity test result episodes

ArsenalMetro and Burr repped this.
  22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  23. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
  24. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
  25. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve panned Fox’s coverage of the tournament but the one thing I do give them credit for is the “Thanks for the Memories” segment. I find them funny, and am interested in what Mo and Ocho have to say about the departing teams in their farewells.