Fox Sports amateur hour

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dspence2311, Nov 21, 2022.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Fox's coverage is atrocious on just about every level.

ESPN's coverage almost a decade ago in Brazil was superior on every level.

Everything about Fox boils down to a) not taking the sport seriously and b) pandering to the lowest common denominator. Even then, they still somehow aim lower.

The analysis is simply non-existent. The ineptitude is so high I literally don't think they're capable of producing a single 10 min segment on tactics.

It's not an exaggeration that the NBA on TNT crew when screwing around at halftime of any random game actually provide more x's and o's analysis than Fox does comprehensively for a WC. Never mind Fox's own NCAA and NFL football analysis is far superior and taken seriously.

It's an embarrassment given how much this sport is growing here in the states. It's so far behind our other major sports and top NCAA coverage.

Burr, kickin365, bigredfutbol and 4 others repped this.
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot the main factor in Fox's coverage: C.) do it for as cheap as possible.

bigredfutbol, jond and schrutebuck repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain v Germany coming up in under half an hour and all they're talking about is Adams/Aaronson and doing a special featuring Marsch as well.

Literally incapable of doing an analysis of an upcoming game, on the actual pregame of that upcoming game.

Edit: Here comes their heart warming feature on Kimmich.

Nothing on the actual game itself.

The Clientele and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  4. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I get it via Hulu.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm so ********ing tired of them talking about the US for days in advance of games.

This is a massive tournament and we are a very small part of it.

It's like all of the worst parts of NBC's Olympic coverage wrapped up in Fox's always-atrocious soccer coverage.

Burr, Germanyfan1993, acima and 6 others repped this.
  6. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I tune in for the US talk. The other stuff is a bonus.

Dander repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #57 HomietheClown, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    If you want analysis just listen to TalkSport or BBC5 online.

FOX is just doing what they think most Americans want. Treating it more like a Super Bowl than an international event.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It's pretty bad. On one of the first two full days of the tournament, I noticed that there wasn't even a post-match show after one of the matches. And it wasn't a time where they were switching between FS1 and Fox.

I've basically been boycotting the studio and halftime shows after the first two full days of the tournament, unless I'm watching with other people.

9. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    There was a moment yesterday where there were three women and Alexi Lalas at the desk, and my wife made the comment that the women looked aloof and didn’t like their attitudes. :ROFLMAO:

acima and The Clientele repped this.
  10. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the feeling in my household, too. Why are they not talking about ALL the teams. I keep saying it, but where are the former international male coaches and players? Where is the substance?

Instead, we get Aly Wagner?!

kickin365 repped this.
  11. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hilarious!

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those cost money, of which Fox is not willing to spend.

kickin365 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  13. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, luckily, I think it was just the one time). I fast forwarded pretty much the whole segment with him.

14. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe thats why they are so female heavy in the studio- saving that extra 20 cents on the dollar?

HomietheClown repped this.
  15. Ryan T Smith

Ryan T Smith Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    May 10, 2022
    That really says a lot considering that was ESPN's "lame duck" World Cup. They knew for 3 years that Fox was taking over after them and they still delivered top-notch coverage. It's such a shame that FIFA gave Fox 2026 unopposed to avoid potential lawsuits in the aftermath of 2022 being moved to the winter. We'll have to deal with all this again at least once more. Hopefully ESPN or even another network like NBC or CBS gets 2030 and beyond. Just anyone but Fox at this point.

16. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree, but curious what you think of the studio analysis from former US players like Holden, Dempsey, Donovan, Lalas, and Edu? I think Fox's presentation has been poor, but admit that as a US-fanboy, I enjoy seeing former US players I watched and adored in the studio.

I remember ESPN's presentation in 2014 being much much better than Fox's, though I can't remember who ESPN's studio analysts were other than Bob Ley.

The Clientele repped this.
  17. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope FIFA's financials took a HUGE beating with the above, but also with the latest breach of contract when Budweiser was no longer allowed to sell alcohol as originally contracted. [Bud has said they would give the winning country all the beer they brought over to sell in Qatar.] But who knows what FIFA now has to do to make amends to Budweiser?
    Anyway, I just hope both Fox and Bud took FIFA to the cleaners on both these breaches of contract.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Spending the last four minutes of Portugal - Uruguay talking about US - Iran, interrupted by Bruno Fernandes having the audacity to nearly score a hat-trick. :rolleyes:

acima repped this.
  19. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I noticed that the announcers went mute when a rainbow flag protestor ran on the field. They must have been read the riot act in these issues.

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All sports networks in the US have stopped giving any coverage to protesters running on the field/court.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  21. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but it seems a little extra with Fox in this World Cup because I believe Qatar paid for the Fox studio(s) in Qatar. I think I heard this on Men in Blazers. So if true, I think it’s basically a quid pro quo between Fox and Qatar in how the tournament will be covered.

22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Coverage seems fine to me. I dig the perspectives of all the former U.S. players and don’t really need a special guest to understand the specifics of the other games.

23. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fox still thinks soccer is this cute little thing no one actually likes or understands, so they think to keep people tuned in, they have to run stories about our players liking star wars during halftime of other games. and then we have to watch alexi lalas scream out his power rankings, without even giving reasons for his rankings beyond "didn't like what i saw."

and i respect lloyd and dempsey as former players, but i honestly don't think either of them have said one interesting thing this entire tournament. playing the game and talking about the game to an audience are two different skills.

acima repped this.
  24. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    For me NBC are the Gold Standard. I agree about the studio show at Fox, though I have found the people doing games to be mostly good. ESPN is mediocre to bad at both aspects of covering soccer. NBC excels at both IMO.

acima repped this.
  25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been pretty underwhelming. I do miss the international perspectives, though of course it's fun to see the US legends again. I just feel like there's no rhyme or reason to any of the programming. Having Ochocinco on the nightly recap show kinda sums up everything wrong here.

Ironbound and olephill2 repped this.