Fox Sports amateur hour

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dspence2311, Nov 21, 2022.

1. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I enjoyed Landon’s minimalist analysis during the Mexico/Poland game. It’s refreshing not having to listen to the constant yammering that the seems to be the habit of our other analysts.

Whether this is because he’s not as practiced, I dunno, but so far so good.

olephill2, Numero Dos, Girt and 4 others repped this.
  2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    All righty then. Let's just say we disagree about whether covering the controversy over arm bands and other FIFA cowardice, or acknowledging fundamental human rights violations in Qatar, amounts to a hit piece.

3. Joe Kurr

Joe Kurr Member

Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    Mar 21, 2017
    Props to Peacock, putting the games in 1080P. Really got spoiled watching that Mexico game, but not knowing Spanish made the decision to switch back to Fox for France. Yuck! Maybe that's more to do with my local Fox station, but my point still stands.

dspence2311 repped this.
  4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    With all the extra time added this WC I’m definitely making sure to extend my DVR times by at least a half hour. Jeepers.

5. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone mentioned it somewhere else, but the fox coverage does not really elevate the experience. It feels like it could be the world’s softball finals or something.

The 2014 coverage was much better. I liked the more international vibe, with former international players from around the world providing perspective. I love our former players, but I enjoy hearing a big and worldly perspective.

Ironbound, majspike, olephill2 and 4 others repped this.
  6. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    We've had to turn the sound off in a few games, probably what would be considered to 'b' ticket games. The announcers in those cases were talking about something, but not the game in front of them. Makes you admire the English pbp guys, who always feel obliged to identify the players even if they get it completely wrong or mis-pronounced.

Girt and The Clientele repped this.
  7. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who holds the US English language broadcast rights to the 2026 World Cup? Oh please please please someone tell me it’s ESPN. I’ll also take NBC with the team that does the EPL coverage.

Chesco United repped this.
  8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm afraid that I have bad news for you.

FIFA awarded Fox the TV rights to 2026 as a freebie after they awarded this year's World Cup to Qatar.

jaykoz3 and dspence2311 repped this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Props to JP.

10. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed Landon today (ESP-CRC) talking about whether it was worse to play on a team with your father as coach (which he said he did with the Bradleys) or father in law as coach. He asked rhetorically which would be more "dicey". He quickly said "well, this doesn't have to do with the game at hand so I'll just shut up". Yeah, amateurish, but enjoyable none the less. And it made me wonder what he really thought about the Bradley duo??

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  11. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Commentary for the most part has been excellent IMO. But I don’t like the abrupt end of games and then no announcement the next game is on the other channel e.g. today after the 8am est game was over on FS1, next thing something else came on and then I realized I had to switch to Fox for the next game. Also, no prime time highlights show, why? I know World Cup Tonight is on but at midnight EST, seriously?

The Clientele repped this.
  12. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN's presentation of the World Cup in 2014 is still far superior to what Fox has done. But Fox's coverage is better so far this time than it was in 2018.

I've really enjoyed Landon Donovan doing color commentary in games with Ian Darke so far. For a guy who isn't experienced as a commentator, Donovan has taken to it naturally and he offers great insight on the games + has a ton of credibility given his experience as a player. I realize I'm extremely biased since Landon is my all-time favorite player, but he's been good so far. I also think Ian Darke was a huge "get" for Fox for this tournament.

FWIW, I've also always liked Stu Holden as a color commentator. I know he's a bit on the hyper side, but he has great insight on the game and he's entertaining without being obnoxious the way someone like Alexi Lalas is.

Father Ted and NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  13. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Stu Holden but find his energy to be a little over the top… sometimes moving into the spazz zone. I know many don’t like Alexi, but I find him to be entertaining and easy to follow.

jaykoz3 and majspike repped this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    John Strong, you don't need to describe a play. We have pictures for that.

acima repped this.
  15. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I also like to hear Landon talk Mexico, who he clearly knows well and appreciates.

16. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    PBP is fine but studio stuff on fox is pathetically dumbed down. Really loved hearing about how Harry Kane loves the NFL. NOOOOT!

acima and The Clientele repped this.
  17. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seriously thinking about investing in Babbel to learn Spanish after some of the stuff I'm watching on Fox. I think I'd rather learn Spanish and follow Telemundo than listen to some of the paid advertisements on Fox.

18. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Fox trying to draw in the casual footie fan with Ochocinco? Why else have a former American football player featured so often on the nightly recap show? Am I supposed to care what games he attended, and why choose Ocho to give his Top 5 of the day? No one else wanted the Top 5 feature?

MPNumber9 repped this.
  19. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fox studio presentation has been awful. As I said earlier, love our former players, but where is the international perspective? I want to hear from former male international players and coaches discussing the broader tournament. The whole thing is so watered down and vapid. Soccer fans are not the audience, unfortunately. They seem to be gearing the broadcast to suburban families with teenage girls or boys.

Oh yeah. Case in point, the main British female studio host feels like she doesn’t care. The tone is patronizing, detached and unemotional. It just sucks the life out of things for me…

MPNumber9, ShayG and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think the weirdest part of the coverage for me is the "team bus on the way to the stadium" shots. every time it reminds me of my first world cup, which was interrupted by very similar shots of a white bronco...

Ghost and The Clientele repped this.
  21. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the only part of the Fox studio broadcast I enjoy is the Team USA Only (or whatever it's called). Just do.not.care about Ochocinco or (God help us!) Piers Morgan?!?! The only banter I sort of enjoy is between Kate and Mo. I like their chemistry.

dspence2311 repped this.
  22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Was Piers Morgan on? Yuck.

23. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Futbol Americas had a great segment on where Herc Gomez and Seb Salazar talked US strategy vs England with Juan Carlos Osorio. Osorio’s observations were miles better than anything you’ll see here or anywhere else. Herc and Salazar had good questions for him.

If you’re not watching Futbol Americas, you’re missing the best soccer show on English language TV.

MPNumber9 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that it's not on TV. It's on ESPN FC, which is a streaming platform. It's also a Podcast I believe?

25. Amaru523

Amaru523 Member

Jun 22, 2016
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this Croatia-Canada game they keep showing the live table, and its been wrong every time, they also showed Croatia and Morocco drawing 1-1. Come on man.