FOX Soccer Channel Stupidity Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Sep 5, 2009.

1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need a thread to document some of the inexcusable stupidity brought to us by our favorite FOX network.

So tonight during Colorado v Toronto, FSC shows its idiotic ticker.

It's bad enough that they only show three letter abbreviations for teams even though there's plenty of room to spell the team name out.

But they show MLS scores, then MFL (Mexican) scores. So far so sort of good. They then show their dumb Euro-focused headlines.

So if you had just flipped on the ticker, you would have no idea that the UNITED STATES PLAYED A WCQ TONIGHT.

How do you not show any WCQ scores, nor even mention the game in the headlines?

How is that possible?

irish_in_ny and Southern Comfort repped this.
  2. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    suspense for the postgame show? lol

3. samwisep86

samwisep86 New Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because they don't have the rights to it. ;)

4. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner... :D

5. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they mentioned it during the broadcast and gave the score on the MLS Wrap show. Don't remember if they gave highlights.

6. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    All tickers are the devil. DirecTV has finally followed the UK lead. If you want to see scores, you press the red button. I haven't used this button since it was first introduced so I don't know if they are listing soccer scores, but I see no need for tickers that (A) take up space on the screen and (B) give away scores when sometimes (or often times in my case) people are trying to avoid other scores. Having a red button that displays scores for all major sports/tournaments is the way to go. Now if DirecTV can just fix that score menu so it works with the red button *only* instead of messing up the use of the blue and green buttons, things would be good.

holden repped this.
  7. suckafree8990

suckafree8990 Member

Aug 6, 2006
    houston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i've yet to see any footy scores on there. as of this reply, i see baseball, college football, nfl, and nascar...NASCAR!!!! :eek:

8. pankfish

pankfish Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What takes Fox Soccer Report so long to put together highlights? At the end of the shows they will tell us some results that came in "too late to get the highlights from". How many people work on that show? Is it just the two people on camera?

And what is with the dialing noise?

9. pankfish

pankfish Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I have to be honest, I love tickers. I want all of the scores as they come in. I'm not going to watch 12 baseball games every night but I do want to know all of the results.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I must say the three letter abbreviations for teams is really amateur.

HFH 2, HNV 1

Gee thanks. :rolleyes:

11. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Red Button on DirecTV seems to really slow down the box in receiving signals from the remote control esp. on my DVR - i hate it. it'd be quicker to go on my computer.

Fox Soccer Report seems to have less than 10 people including the camera guys. I remember one time the MLS table they had hadn't been updated for a game they were reading the score of because it came on too late. I also don't like that they don't have Goal Difference in tables - especially the tournaments where it's so important.

BTW - anyone see any promotion for that movie yesterday about the 2007/2008 UNC Women's program? sure woulda been nice to know it was coming.

aand then there's champions league coverage. Seems there should be more promotion of the FSE and FSN games/programming - more coordination. But it almost seems like they're competing against each other. In a sense I suppose they are as FSE sometimes has live Serie A or Argentine League games than FSC. Also FSN had the WPS Final on live when FSC did not.

12. TomDuke

TomDuke New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    As best I understand the show tapes at 9:00 pm ET. If a important game is being broadcast in Canada, they can put it together even if it starts at 7:30, maybe 8:00. But a lot of the games aren't shown in Canada, and the highlights have to come from elsewhere. So if they don't physically have the highlights, they can't possibly have them in the show.

On a SportsCentre they can run incomplete highlights as the game goes on. They can do that because there is a 2 a.m. show--which is the one they make their morning loop out of. On the FSR you would have to have complete hilites for the 10 pm show, because that is the one that gets re-aired.

It's one of the things that you have to accept when you produce the show in Canada.

13. futbolista918

futbolista918 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Fan:SerieA,ItalyUSNT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not 1990, I don't understand why we need tickers anymore (other than some extreme breaking news). If you need a score ASAP, go to a computer or cell phone.

Beast_Ed repped this.
  14. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    I timed espn's bottom line once, it was the same crap every 3 1/2 - 4 mins, literally. There's just no need for it in todays world.

FSC's seems even wider and covers more of the screen. I agree with others, the 3 letter abr. :) are too small. I really have to rack my brain to figure out some of the teams.

15. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    no sh1t. talk about dinosaurs.

16. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i understand them on espn/2 since they're in more homes/bars/hotels/etc, but I agree - if you have FSC you probably have access to the internet.

i would, however, like to see tickers during the FSR since they only get to a limited number of stories.

17. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight is the second night on FSR I notice that Nabil Karim has mentioned that a team scored on their own keeper - this time it was Barcelona:

VIDEO: Pedrito puts it past keeper Victor Valdes?

WTF? If it's true that JSL is leaving soon, I fear for the quality of this show.

18. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ugh, that's terrible

19. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    blackhornet, it's good that you're not letting him get away wth making mistakes like that, but I don't think your fears are justified. Nabil is still learning. Jeremy made some pretty bad mistakes when he was starting out.

20. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just a brain fart. No big deal. It took a few months for Terri Leigh to adjust, but she got there. This guy will too

21. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope you're right - altho the show would be without a #1 - unless you cound Derek Taylor

22. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite combo is Derek and Jeremy. They are pretty funny and both know what they are talking about with a minimum of flubs. If Jeremy does indeed leave I could see Derek and Terri being a good A team, with Carlos and Nabil being a decent B team.

23. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might want to scratch the idea of Carlos being part of the "B" team. I don't remember which show it was exactly, but within the last week or so they announced on-air that he's leaving.

24. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    carlos left the show already.

25. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's a shame, I haven't been watching every night and I must have missed that one.