Fox Deportes - Copa Libertadores 2017

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Willito, Jan 22, 2017.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just like FoxSoccer2Go (who would pay for streaming?) and FS+ (who would pay $15/month for an overflow channel?). Heck, fs1 is pretty useless lately too.

2. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    How can Fox decide not to show Chapecoense's first international match after the accident, which is taking place tonight?

unclesox and InterFan76 repped this.
  3. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All fox sports are useless now. They make Bein look like the greatest sports network right now with the way they handle Libertadores.

4. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    The Libertadores tournament has been expended to be almost all year long, making this situation even more aggravating.

5. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    FS1 airs Nascar, UFC, MLB, MLS, Bundesliga, Pac-12, etc.

I get that not everyone likes those, but it's not useless.

unclesox repped this.
  6. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    For me personally, I have no expectation that Fox would use FS1 or FS2 for Liberadores until we get to the final. I was shocked that they showed the 1/2 finals last year on FS2. But to not use Fox Deportes and FS+ is ridiculous.

If you did not find an outlet to watch the first week of Libertadores matches and would like an overview, I recently found this South American football podcast, that's pretty good. It's in English. Scroll through the various list of podcasts to find the South American uploads. So far for 2017 Libertadores there is a 2-part preview and then a round-up of week 1. If you have or sign up for a free soundcloud account, you can download episodes if you prefer to listen while on the move.

https://soundcloud.com/world-football-index

In other South American news, it looks like TV Chile on DTV is no longer showing Chilean football. I know this is old news by a few weeks but I figured I'd include that here. Similarly, the Ecuador channels have been dry as well. These channels make no sense to me since some weeks they will show 3-4 Ecuadoran games and then other weeks nothing.

7. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I just express my utter dismay that we here in the US CANNOT watch the Copa Libertadores?! I love watching these matches for the difference in styles, the passion of play, and the eccentricity and passion of the crowds. It is a crying shame that the pay site apps for FOX don't offer it seeing how Fox Sports shows all of these matches down in South America and Mexico. Does anyone have any news to report concerning these games for this year and if they will once again be televised? Fingers crossed.

unclesox repped this.
  8. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Shame on you Fox Sports, you are a disgrace to soccer fans in the US!!!!!!

9. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    First of all... Let's Go Orange!

Second... so far the only info I found out is from a member at worldsoccertalk.com who has a contact at according to the contact, "there’s been a hold-up regarding the next round of games. Whatever the issue is, hopefully it’ll be resolved soon." Unfortunately, that's been the latest news so far... hopefully, something will come up. What pisses me off the most is that they didn't even give a formal announcement to the viewers regarding this issue as if they take us for granted and/or don't even care. Also, if they're not interested in showing the games anymore, then sell the rights; I'm sure other channels would love to show/stream them (Univision, BEIN, Telemundo, etc.)

I was looking forward to watching matches this year but see tha neither that match or any Copa matches are being streamed this week on FoxSoccer2Go. Also, it seems the Copa Sudamericana is in the boat. There’s no point in having rights to something if you’re not gonna show it in some format. Also, I find it surprising that there was no formal announcement of this current programming change; it’s almost as if they take our demographical viewership for granted and feel that we’ll just keep waiting until they put it back on, which sadly is the case since they own the rights and no one else can show it. I hope things return to normal soon for both the Libertadores and Sudamericana. With the new format changes to both tournaments (parralleling the relationship between the UEFA Champions League and Europa League), this year was suppose to be exciting times for viewing these cups on HD TV in the US especially since, so far, there has been an increase in parity among the clubs but instead, we have to resort to searching online for the Fox programming on their Hispanic Brother Network, Fox Deportes.

10. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nothing on FoxDeportes. The streams you are watching are FoxArgentina

11. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What I meant by saying Fox Deportes is not the US channel but the FOX sports network that covers the Copa Libertadores in both Central and South America. This includes Fox Argentina, Fox Mexico, or whatever channel the people online are streaming the matches on.

12. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gotcha I'm glad we are able to watch on YouTube streams but nothing beats HD on a tv

13. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You said bro! Once you go HD, you can't go back! Although some YouTube streams haven't been that bad lately... either that or my need for futbol blinds me of that lack of quality haha (eh, it's better than nothing). I hope Fox (in the US) comes to a decision (re-stream or sell the rights) soon.

14. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sucks it's a damn shame the only way to see Boca or River matches are through crappy streams. I get TyC on directv and it's mind boggling they show every match of Argentine League but no River who I follow or Boca the 2 most popular teams in Argentina and possibly all of South America. Now with no Libertadores or Sudamericana on Fox streams are the only way to watch in the US

15. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm probably totally off on this but seeing how more and more popular clubs around the leagues are getting their own TV channel, it maybe that they have their own where they broadcast their games or some channel bought rights to show their game exclusively. But you probably know or could find out if that's true or not by seeing from what channel the River and Boca games are being stream from online. It's interesting that you could watch rival teams play other clubs besides themselves (unless if it's international competition or something). Seeing that you're a fan of Inter Milan, it's like watching league matches of AC Milan.

16. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I saw the World Soccer Talks posts as well. Those posts don't make any sense. Fox seems to have the rights in the Americas with some split rights in some cases (e.g., in Brasil Fox shows about 80% of the games and SporTV shows the other 20%). But in Colombia the games are on Fox and in Argentina the games are on Fox. I assume the games are on Fox in Mexico. Fox USA would not have the rights for 2 months and then all of a sudden not have rights. Fox would have paid for the rights at least to the end of the season. There could be some dispute about price for rights with Mexican teams and rights without Mexican teams but any disputes would have happened prior to Fox Soccer 2 Go showing 2 weeks (or more) of games. Perhaps CONMEBOL would not renegotiate a new rate without Mexican sides and Fox stopped payment but no other situation would make sense. In general, Fox sucks right now and I'm fearful about the quality of the WC. I expect a repeat of the ESPN 2006 disaster. John Strong will be praying for delayed start times on games he is not calling so he can spoil results for as many games as possible.

17. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Fox does suck right now!! And you're right, any contract agreement or renegotiation would have been done prior to the streaming and Fox stopping payment would be ridiculous; besides, something like that would have been addressed in the contract by their lawyers. So there has to be another reason and it's gotta be valid because if it's not, I'll lose a lot of respect for them and I'm thinking that's gonna be the case. I just hope a solution is found asap.

I can't really say that much about ESPN broadcasting the WC other than the only matches I saw on ESPN was when the US or England played and I remember they were broadcast well. The best part of ESPN programming was 'World Cup Tonight', which was an awesome show in my opinion.

And as far as Fox broadcasting it next year, I think they're gonna do great. In last year's Copa America Centenario, which Fox broadcasted, I once again only saw the broadcast when the US played but this time I also enjoyed the sports analysts in the pregame, halftime, and post game so much so that it was the first time I watched them more often than the Spanish side (Univision). The dynamic was great in my opinion and I don't know how they did it (maybe one of the producers and/or sports analysts have some sort of patent on it or something) but they had a Copa America version of 'World Cup Tonight' called 'Copa Tonight' and it may not have been as great as ESPN's version but it was still great. I'm guessing/hoping it'll be back for WC 2018 (probably called 'World Cup Tonight' again) and it'll probably be just as great because it'll be about the World Cup versus a continental cup plus I'm sure they'll have more guests and/or as well hire most of the sports analysts from ESPN WC 2014, which will be part of the pregame, halftime, and postgame as well.

So overall, in my opinion, Fox will have the best of both worlds and I'm probably gonna watch it a whole lot more than Spanish side, especially since for the first time in a long time Univision will not have the rights; Telemundo will and they are not that well known. The only person I can think of that would draw viewers is Andrés Cantor, the well-known broadcaster/sports analysts that yells goaaaaaal. In fact, the way Fox added Fernando Fiore (El Presidente) to the Copa America team to draw more Latin American viewers (which it did, proof is me and many others), I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same for Andrés. That being said and speaking of this inicitiave to grab/steal latin viewers from the Spanish market, this is another main reason why I'm so baffled how Fox is handling this Copa Libertadores AND Copa Sudamericana issue. They really do sick right now!!

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Telemundo may not be as well known as Univision, but Telemundo has existed for longer than many other channels. NBC Universo had the USA's WCQ at Mexico in 2009 when the channel was called mun2. NBC Universo and Telemundo are both NBC channels, and when the two last matchday games in a group are at the same time those might be the two channels used. NBC Universo has had plenty of CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers. If a person watches 90 percent of their sports in English and 10 percent in Spanish I would expect that person to have heard of Telemundo.

19. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
  20. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I didn't say I never heard of Telemundo; I know they broadcasted some WC and Mexican qualifieres but not as much to have the Spanish sports enthusiast switch over. I forgot about NBC Universo; I relied heavily on them for this past Summer Olympic coverage of not just soccer but the other olympic sports I was following as well. For the soccer coverage, the pregame, halftime, and post game was okay but I'm sure they definitely amp it up for the WC. So considering both Telemundo and NBC Universo, I'd still say they are not well known but not as much... or is it less? You know what I mean.

And as far as my sports watching coverage percentage, I would say it's more 75% to 30% but that was pretty impressive how you came up with that stat based on my previous post. You must have some sort of analytical job. :) By the way, and maybe you can help me on this one (I'm assuming you watch Telemundo; if not, my mistake), I didn't see them utilize Andrés' goaaaaal shout that often (almost not at all) in the Summer Olympics. Is it because he can't do that as much anymore, was it his choice, or the network's? Don't get me wrong, his analysis of the game is on point and will be great asset to the Telemundo team, but I was really looking forward to that.

21. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 90 percent and 10 percent was a hypothetical. I wasn't trying to guess what percentage you watch. I don't know Spanish, and my favorite thing to watch in Spanish is a long "gooool" call. I DVR CONCACAF WCQs and watch the goals in both languages. I don't know the last time I watched Telemundo. I have no idea how often Andres broadcasts and what he's capable of doing.

23. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I may have my doubts about Telemundo having the rights to the World Cup, but I forgot about how entertaining this guy is. When it comes to the analytical part, he's at the top among the best soccer analysts, both Spanish and English. He just won an Emmy in sports for Outstanding On-Air Sports Personality in Spanish and this is him celebrating last night. Along with his iconic 'Gol' yell, I now remember how he use to have a fun personality and it looks like things haven't changed. :laugh:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT5QT7CjHxE/

24. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    While we may never know the reason for disputing the television/streaming rights (my $ is on Fox Deportes wanting to pay less because Mexican clubs weren't participating), someone caved in and the Copa Libertadores are back and so is the Cops Sudamericana! There is speculation that the matches will stream on FoxSoccer2Go, which I hope is true because my cable provider doesn't have Fox Deportes in HD yet (it really sucks); actually if anything, it should be on FoxSports2Go (free stream)... it's the least they can do but if Fox Deportes was the one that caved in, I'm sure they'll try to milk it as much as they can. F that, I'm sure they'll milk it either way those bastards!

25. DeargGerilo

DeargGerilo Member

Mar 16, 2017