FourFourTwo Top 100 Players

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by supersewelly, Sep 7, 2007.

1. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    my reply was to #16 post.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Then you are a very silly boy.

3. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    well, then let's hear it, that's what this thread is about. Of course it is just opinions.

also, about pato, he had a nice showing in the freindly in kiev thrusday. that's enough to get him on the list, right? :p

4. Joshrocker48

Joshrocker48 New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Michigan
    Well personally I think Totti should be in the Top 10. Ronaldo should be before Ronaldinho.John Terry and Rio Ferdinand should be around the 40's or 50's.

I could list more but those are the most noticeable beefs with it.

5. German Ham

German Ham New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    The fact that England is the country with the highest number of players should tell you straight off it's biased. Lampard at #25?! On what planet is that? And I can't believe that Phillipp Lahm, the best LB in the world is not on this list.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course England will have the highest number of players. It is after all an English magazine aimed primarily at English readers. So, given that the list is subjective, they choose to tell their audience what they want to hear.

But in spite of that, it's not that bad of a list, really. I would have expected worse from them.

7. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    check out #76.

it is odd that other than maldini, who was just a sentimental place, and doesn't pllay lb any more, there was no other left back even close to ashley cole. i don't think ashley cole is the best lb in the world, but even if one does, is he clearly well above any other lb in the world? that was kind of odd, but lahm was on there, he was just way down the list.

8. German Ham

German Ham New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Ah ok I missed seeing him on there. 76 is still far too low for him though. Lahm still hasn't filled out all of his potential and is already one of the top 3 LB's MINIMUM. I rate him higher than Cole, personally.

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    FWIW, Ashley Cole was not even the best LB on his team last season... and his team have only got two out-and-out LBs.

10. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Bridge has certainly been better since Cole arrived, and I would prefer it to be Bridge's spot to lose, but when A. Cole is up for it (like against Ronaldo) there's no other fullback I would rather have. Mind you, he'll play brilliantly against Ronaldo and then get skinned by Jenas.

11. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    abidal from barca is better than a.cole imo, he is better technically, gets more crosses in and is more consistent...why is he now where on that list...he was awesome for lyon last year and has started this yr well

12. hazy davey

hazy davey New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    New York
    Interesting list. Of course it's also a silly list - but then, the purpose of these exercises is to generate discussion so it certainly succeeds in that regard.

Here are my initial comments:

1. R. Ayala is still a very good defender but he's not the player he was. He's ranked much too high.

2. Eduardo Da Silva was a dominant player in Croatia - but he needs to make a mark for Arsenal before he belongs on this list.

3. The inclusion of Pato is quite premature.

4. I was surprised to see Nery Castillo (Shakhtar Donetsk) on the list - I assume it was his excellent Copa America that won him his place. But if the idea was simply to include a player who plays club football in Eastern Europe, then it would have made more sense to put Anatoliy Tymoschuk on the list.

5. I think Rafael Marquez belongs on the list.

6. So does Guti.

7. Two Bayern Munich players probably deserve a place on the list: Martin Demichelis and Mark Van Bommel. Why Owen Hargraves and not either of them?

8. Yes, European football is the best in the world and South Americans, therefore, don't have great cause for complaint about the neglect of South American players. But they have some cause. If David Beckham - who is essentially a North American player - makes the list, then surely South Americans are entitled to claim some neglect here.