FourFourTwo says the DC-Metro Derby Is 16th Best Soccer Destination In The World.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by SABuffalo786, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Nov 20, 2000
    New York City
    Fusion vs. Mutiny, the Florida derby, was very good while it lasted.

Thank you for the memories.

2. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well in Communist Stickball, there is that one sided rivalry known as the Boston, Yankees rivalry.
    I dont know how thats even a rivalry really, its just that the boston fans hate the yankees to their bones, while the yankees fans are all just glory dwellers.

3. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Ever seen our kits, genius? The F*re has more white in their kit than we do. It sounds like all you've ever watched of United is road matches.

4. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    These guys are trying to rag on our hegemony in rivalries when they can't even get 10,000 to show up in Dallas for a grudge match. I don't care how ugly Dragon Stadium is. You should still get a bigger crowd than we can expect for this weekend. Have they even sold out Cardinal for the Brimstone games this season?

I can only imagine what the atmosphere is going to be like during the Seven Days. I predict the best atmosphere ever in a USOC match, the only possible exception being when the Rhinos made their great run.

vive le noir et rouge
    forza le nero un rossi
    viva la negro y rojo
    Long live the Black and Red

5. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Yes. Soccer in a continental nation takes on a larger dimension. An I-95 derby is a hop-skip-and-a-jump to us; something the wee lads over the pond and beyond the chunnel can't comprehend.

It's their problem, not ours.

But the fact that a bit of recognition from 4-4-2 causes so much excitement on the Dizzyboards speaks volumes about DC's claim to superior culture, nightlife, or general ability to rise above the adolescent obsessions of your average hick-town yokels.

Gotta love these guys -- neo-Nazi eagles and all.

6. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Yeah, I guess it couldn't be considered a problem on your end since you don't have a chance of ever being superior to United. Your Scum have been the darlings of the hack US soccer media along with the Galaxhite and Landon's Dirtcakes for far too long. So when United gets recognition from a futbol publication that doesn't suck, it's understandable that we would be excited.

As for adolescent obsessions, you're only saying that because you know we're better and it just burns you up inside. And hick-town? I guess any city that isn't full of 10 million grade-M assholes is a hick-town to you.

We may have the eagle, but you jackoffs have the Nazis. Go to hell, MetroScum. And BTW, it's a Thunderbird-style eagle now. I guess you wouldn't know that, what with your long-running taste in tacky crests.

7. etcheverrito

etcheverrito New Member

Jun 12, 2001
    the heartland of NOV
    you forgot...West Ham-Millwall

8. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    200 miles...

We don't even have cities 200 miles from each other :D

9. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    They don't say it is the 16th best Derby whatsoever. First, they don't even include games from the UK. Second, they are listing the 20 greatest "travel" destinations that are tied to football and using Derbys as a means to help justify their picks. New York happens to be a pretty cool city. Do you think the "Beijing" Derby is world renowned. For instance, one game that is mysteriously missing is Barcelona v. Madrid (although they do have Madrid vs. Madrid). And where exactly is the Milan v. Milan or Milan v. Turin game. I cite these only to prove what they were really trying to do with the article - which is fantastic btw.

Sorry if others have made the same point. I did not read the entire thread.

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Milan is the most boring city I've ever been to (with football that is)

11. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hubris of this thread makes for some remarkably ironic humor!

GM