FourFourTwo says the DC-Metro Derby Is 16th Best Soccer Destination In The World.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by SABuffalo786, Sep 13, 2003.

1. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    I don't really believe that similar names equal a rivalry, so in the Fire-Burn case, there's not much there. SJ doesn't have enough fans to have developed a rivalry off the field with anyone.

I guess throwing in that it's the whole trip brings our rivalry up quite a few notches. Unfortunately, there aren't enough hardcore fans for us to believe that this one compares to derbies in most other countries. Even with 20K people there, you have to assume that about half, maybe more, are casual fans and dislike the metros about as much as they dislike anyone else that plays DC.

2. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of the mutts, I wonder if the omniscient MLS disciplinary committee has the balls to suspend Pope for a reckless tackle on Cancela at the close of Saturday's game vs Revs? It was as egregious as Kovalenko's tackle of O'Brien, except that Cancela's momentum did not contribute to an injury because Pope clocked him from behind.

My guess is that they daren't discipline the [dripping sarcasm] mighty metro [/dripping sarcasm].

GM

3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
  4. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah, the Metros suck man! D.C. is soo much better!!

Why?? Cuz we're in a better position in the standings then them!! Oh wait, no we're not... But hey, we have more hardware!! Oh wait...we won the MLS Cup in 96, 97 and 99 when we were the ONLY team that was decent.

Yeah, Metros suck.. :rolleyes:

Serious: This is the best rivalry in MLS. It's not as great right now because each team has an ex-X player on their team. The Metros have Moreno, Ziadie, Lisi, Pope and Williams. D.C. has Petke. D.C. only has one Metro, but last year they had Villegas and Perez.

5. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically the summary of this thread is as follows.
    There are only three important rivalry's in MLS.
    1. Atlantic Cup : DC vs. Metro
    2. Brimstone Cup : Fire vs. Burn
    3. LA vs. San Jose.

6. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey dickhead!!! I'm going to laugh when you guys dont make the playoffs this year as you stumble down the stretch.

7. Look, do you think anyone in FourFourTwo takes this stuff seriously ? It's in the same league as the 100 Most Irresistable Women list on TNN- at best completely subjective and good for a laugh/pub conversation, at worst a way of filling up space as print deadlines loom. Arguing about whether or not the DC - NC/NJ rivalry is really the 16th best in the world is like arguing whether you think Beyonce should have ranked higher than Madonna in the aforementioned babe-listing.

That said, its probably fair to say DC - Metros is the most credible contender for best MLS rivalry, due to nature of respective fan-bases, relative proximity and history between the teams.

8. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Except that because of cultural/playoff matches in the past, DC United vs Galaxy is a pretty big rivalry and to a lesser extent DC United vs Columbus Crew (although DC doesn't care about this as much as Columbus does - it is more on the level of the one-sided Chicago Bulls/Cleveland Cavaliers "rivalry" of the early 90s).

But the Galaxy game two weeks ago featured a lot of smack.

9. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    Kinda like saying PSG and Merdeseille isn't a derby. Get a clue. Heck, the large distance makes it even that much more impressive since fans from our side and the lost souls of theirs have actually gone to the other place to see their team. The one thing Fire and the Wrong shade of Red fans (you guys call them Burn fans) have in common is that we dislike one another. True dislike. DC and NY/NJ may be the first but the only one that matters in the MLS is between the Fire and those S.O.B's in Texas. Even when we play them, there's mention of the Cup by the announcers for both sides. Man, don't get me started on them. They can't finish bottom of the table enough for me. I want them under the table and it will bring such joy to my heart when we whack that A... this week-end. Can't wait.

There's been crowd violence at DC-Metro fixtures, bottle rockets fired at the Metro bench, and just an overwhelming sense of dislike. We're realtivley close (USA-wise) and fans of both teams ALWAYS travel to these matches. It is the undisputed best Derby MLS can serve up.

And as far as quality goes, well don't make assumptions until you go to one. [/B][/QUOTE]

10. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    [/B][/QUOTE]

There is no way you can place the dislike between Burns/Fire fans on another plane above the dislike between United/Metroscum fans. It is ludicrous. There is just as much spleen vented (more because we always have more fans and much better supporters groups - than the Burn at least) at Atlantic Cup matches. And we didn't even need a "cup" to have that kind of rivalry. It was always there (from the first year of MLS - when the Chicago Fire were just a little twinkle in your eye Fonsos).

11. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Fouls that lead to season-ending injuries have a way of seeming more severe than fouls that barely knock a player down. You're grabbing at straws. If you really like this rivalry, you should want Pope on the field anyway. I haven't heard of anyone sharing your view of Pope's tackle, anyway.

12. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: FourFourTwo says the DC-Metro Derby Is 16th Best Soccer Destination In The World.

Pope??? I hate the F'ing METRO bastard. I hope he is suspended for the rest of the year.

13. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Mysterious double posting edited by GM. Nothing to see here. Move along. Be well.]

14. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your own announcers (well, at least Shep) said he would not have been surprised at a red card. I have seen red cards given for much, much, much less. If you check out the replay, Eddie really chops Cancela down with absolutely no reasonable attempt to play the ball. I dunno what was going through his mind (probably nothing as his id seemed in control) 'cause that's not like Eddie.

Ya know, Dema's tackle was not even whistled as a foul by the ref (and it should not have been, IMO). Subsequent review by the gods of the disciplinary committee got Dema a red card, suspension and fine. In their ultimate [dripping sarcasm] wisdom [/dripping sarcasm] , they also added an injury component to what constitutes a red card offense. Pope unquestionably fouled Cancela and got a yellow for it. I think the ref gives red about 80% of the time for such a foul, particularly at the end of ballgames when revenge/frustration tends to be the motive.

And I don't give a flying *#*#*#*# who the mutts put on the field. Each one on that team is the enemy, regardless of provenance.

GM

15. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can just see images of Meola, crying and complaining, still running after the AR while the ref is standing in the center circle trying to restart.

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    It was always there (from the first year of MLS - when the Chicago Fire were just a little twinkle in your eye Fonsos). [/B][/QUOTE] We didn't need a cup either. It didn't even come around till 2001 but the rivalry was well established prior, even in 1998.

I don't claim Chicago-Dallas is on another level than DC-Metro or even LA-SJ. I don't know how you could compare them. They're all fierce and competitive rivalries in their own right, though it goes without saying DC-Metro is the oldest, for whatever that's worth.

17. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    The current issue of FourFourTwo (September 03) has a good article on the "El Derby"=Real vs Barca.

18. This could probably be it's own thread, but I am worried...how well are we gonna draw on the 28th?

Redskins game in town and 7th game of soccer at rfk in 8 days.

19. Oh Yeah, and it's a fricking sunday afternoon match

20. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

I'll say this much; La Norte had better damn well represent like never before.

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't they play on Sunday when the race is on Saturday, why are they messing with Talladega? Damn them to hell. :)

22. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    MLS could have a true derby if Cleveland gets a team.

23. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    We didn't need a cup either. It didn't even come around till 2001 but the rivalry was well established prior, even in 1998.

I don't claim Chicago-Dallas is on another level than DC-Metro or even LA-SJ. I don't know how you could compare them. They're all fierce and competitive rivalries in their own right, though it goes without saying DC-Metro is the oldest, for whatever that's worth. [/B][/QUOTE]

Damn it I'm Claiming it. They don't even know and they had more time to try and get it right. Our rivalry with the wrong shade of red is intense baby - Woooooooooo (howling like a professional wrestler). Here's a funny for you. Did you know that your beloved Stoichkov hates the color white? And who's main color is white? That's right, yours Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, (evil villain laugh).

24. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn it I'm Claiming it. They don't even know and they had more time to try and get it right. Our rivalry with the wrong shade of red is intense baby - Woooooooooo (howling like a professional wrestler). Here's a funny for you. Did you know that your beloved Stoichkov hates the color white? And who's main color is white? That's right, yours Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, (evil villain laugh). [/B][/QUOTE]

white??? :rolleyes: another *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#ing idiot every *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#ing minute. Hey dumbass, do us a favor and stay on your own team's board, you won't strain your brain that way.

Nobody is saying that Chi-Dal isn't a rivalry, nor that it isn't a good one, just there is only one BEST rivalry in the league. Look at the NFL, Skins-Cowboys, Steelers-Browns, Giants-Eagles are all great rivalries but there is only one Packers-Bears. In MLS that is United-Metro.

25. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    The Battle of the 7 Fall days is approaching rapidly!