FourFourTwo says the DC-Metro Derby Is 16th Best Soccer Destination In The World.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by SABuffalo786, Sep 13, 2003.

1. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Normally I would be, but I'm not know. It's the God's Honest Truth. Chicago-Dallas are at opposite ends of the country, so you can't really call that a derby. And as far as San Jose goes, well you can't really have a mutual hatred if Spartan Stadium is overrun with LA fans twice a year.

There's been crowd violence at DC-Metro fixtures, bottle rockets fired at the Metro bench, and just an overwhelming sense of dislike. We're realtivley close (USA-wise) and fans of both teams ALWAYS travel to these matches. It is the undisputed best Derby MLS can serve up.

And as far as quality goes, well don't make assumptions until you go to one.

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Well it might be.

But then again how many derbys are there in Vienna? :)

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Can we chew our media bone in peace?

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I guess it is only fair as I know more about European football than you do. :)

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    well buff you're right about the distance between CHI and DAL, but they have quite a bit of animosity goin' on there - what do they call their cup? brimstone?

and just out of curiousity, what is the average attendance of a DCO v M derby?

6. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    exactly

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

oh jose... you kill me

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Great, you opened the door for Metro trolls who type this into the search box everyday to come whine again.

;)

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    why... thank you

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    if i ever do make it to a DCU match, i'm getting jose's first beer

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Another great tradition of the New Jersey MetroSucks

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Three as a matter of fact!

Rapid-Austria
    Rapid-Admira
    Austria-Admira

13. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    It's that all!?! ;)

Thanks.

I'll buy you one or four next time your in town.

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Yes it is called the Brimstone Cup

As far as attendance goes, recently, it's drawn pretty well, a little higher than average attendance, I'd say. You'll have to ask some of the older fans to know about the early years.

This topic looks like it's going the same road as a past FourFourTwo controversy when they came out with their World Premiership. They included LA for financial and diversity reasons. I think the same can be said here. Sure, you'll have more passionate derbies than DC-Metro, but if you have 8 Premiership derbies in the top 20, how interesting is that? The list doesn't completley focus on the game itself, but the surrounding city, culture and nightlife. I think NYC did a lot to get DC-Metro into this list.

15. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Who's DCO?

Anyway, here are the official numbers via MLS.net

Total attendance for United/Mutts matches:

589,584 thru 33 matches for an average of 17,886

Mutts at home:

303,953 for 16 matches = 18,997 per match

United at home:

285,631 for 17 matches = 16,801 per match

In the one and only instance where the Mutts and United met in the playoffs, these were the following numbers:

at Mutts - 14,416 for 1 match

at DC - 21,442 and 20,423 for 2 matches for an average of 20,932

In all fairness to both teams nearly half of their matches have been midweek games during their breif but tumultuous history..

You can ask any average MLS fan and they would conclude with little doubt that United/Metros is the best and most hated rivalry..

Chicago/Dallas and Chi/Columbus are right around the corner, but nothing compares to the I-95 derby

16. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    4-4-2 Says New York and DC are Their 16th Most Important Market

Fixed your topic name.

17. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Bring it, scumwad, I'm just dying for you freaks to come on down. All of us here are ready to send your monkey asses home in shame.

18. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being in the stands for Game 3 of United-Metros in 1996 was without question one of the greatest sport-fan experiences of my life.

I don't know about 16th best derby in the world - in fact, I don't think that's the case really ... but, while MLS has other good rivalries with good teams, there simply is nothing in the league like DCU-Metros. And if anyone doubts that, their three meetings in 7 days coming up soon will erase those doubts.

To me, the only thing that comes close is DC-LA; simply because of their MLS Cup Final history, but that's a different type of rivalry and not as fierce as United-Metros.

ECM

19. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't argue with you, your right, its you. Mathis, ESC, La12, Guevera, list goes on and on...

Shouldn't you be getting your nails done or something, metrosexual bitch?

20. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another hated rivalry i think is the Galaxy vs. Quakes matches. but its nothing compared to the Muttros vs. DC.
    But im not here to make fun of the metros.. it wouldnt be PC ya know? making fun of retards, homosexuals and women isnt permited outside of drunkeness.

21. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Chicago-Columbus?

22. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    BlueDad: You're right on your main point--ranking DC-MetroScuzz at 16 is being overly generous. But it's, at least, the main rivalry for both teams. You can't be serious about Bolton-ManU--do Man U really consider it anything more than a glorified scrimmage? Ditto ManU and Liverpool. It's a great rivalry because of their history of success, but 'pool's "derby" is with Everton and ManU's "derby" is with Man City. When you get down to ManU and Blackburn, you're really just talking about another league game. And the two Villa-Birmingham games last year were great examples of how derbies can be so passionate, but there's no way that'll extend to Birmingham-Wolves.

I could be wrong, but I thought a "derby" meant the teams were from the same city or general area. D.C. could have a "derby" with Baltimore, but, really, not with New York. And a Dallas-Chicago "derby"?

23. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Well yeah, but by that standard MLS will almost certainly never have a true "derby" unless the league could somehow expand to, say, 20 teams.

I think "the I-95 derby" is a fair and acceptable representation, no?

24. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    NOTE: The rankings were based on the ENTIRE trip to see the match. FourFourTwo considers a trip to one of the world's greatest cities coupled with the USA's greatest derby as 16th overall. If it was based on just the game itself, we wouldn't make the top 50. But coupled with the trip to NYC, I believe it could be 16th.

25. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, you're wrong.

One of the world's best soccer rivalries is between Barcelona and Real Madrid.

The game is known as a derby, even as THE derby: "El Derbi," and you don't even have to name the sides.

The two cities are about 300 miles apart. New York and Washington are only 200 miles apart.