Four straight vs the Smurfs

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Treetaliano, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    So we are 99.9999% locked in to the 4th spot...meaning we've got 4 straight vs Lanny and The Smurfs.

This season has been garbage...so here's a chance to salvage something...

Mission 1: Deny the Smurfs our Supporters Shield.

2. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's amusing is that our record against the Smurfs so far this season is probably better than against any other team. :p

4. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    0-1-1 is better than the record against any other team? Sad if true.

5. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check my comment again. Haven't looked it up but yeah, it could be.

6. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EQs have our own set of roster woes- as do most teams- don't imagine you're the only ones. But yes, this upcoming 4 in a row looks like a heck of an opportunity for the league's best defense and 3rd best offense to put a big hurt on the 4th-place team in the division. Supporter's Shield? We need to beat you guys twice. Chicago has to get past Colorado (and Columbus, can't say they'll have any trouble with the latter). Somehow, I like our odds to take the Shield.

We like nothing better than to finish another great season with away-and-home against the Galaxy. This year, we musta been extra good, because we get to do it twice!

DougO

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, Its going to be so great seeing the Quakes hoist the MLS Cup on the Gals home turf.

Four in a row - bring it on!

8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four in a row v. Quakes.

Anyone want to make book that we win more than one (and that is a stretch).

On the other hand, if the final does turn out to be SJ v. Fire, we WILL have an opportunity to pay back all those Chi fans who travelled to Columbus to root against us two years ago. No - we never forget.

9. Gooner

Gooner New Member

Dec 23, 2000
    Soccer City
    Speak for yourself. If that is the final we end up with I can think of a lot better ways to spend my time than watching those two teams.

10. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    !@# i'm going to hate losing to the smurfs 4 times... they've got this attitude that they're a big team, because they've had a couple of good seasons.

you know the hell with everything else, if we can columbus 'em i can end the season with a smile... okay maybe not a smile.

11. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Quakes are in the final against LA, and the Chicago fans cheer for the Quakes. Then the Quakes are in the final against Chicago, and to pay 'em back, LA fans cheer for the Quakes? I can live with that... :)

12. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ain't gonna happen. Maybe if Colorado make it (Robin Frasier and John Spencer deserve it) but no way in hell I'd ever want the Smurfs to win anything (though that may change when the play the San DieGoats)

13. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clip n' save.

Colorado may have something to say about that.

The G's, on the other hand, don't seem to care....

...........and yet, perhaps foolishly, I remain upbeat!..........

Topper

:D :D

GO GALAXY!!!

REDEEM THYSELF!!!

14. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    10$ says the Smurfs are denied the SS...then it's on to Mission 2.

15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess its a question of which rivalry inspires the most antagonism.

Sure, I love to see us beat the Quakes as much as the next guy. Mostly because its fun to watch their sniveling whining fans wail and gnash their teeth. First we take their water, then we take their soccer honor. All good fun.

But, I don't actually hate the team - and I still like Mullan and Waibel. And I have a tremendous amount of respect for Frank Yallop.

On the other hand, I have a long memory. Number one on the list of hated despised and completely evil teams is may-they-die-a-slow-painful-death DCU. To take two cups that were rightfully ours....

Second is Chicago. No expansion team should knock out the most entertaining version of LAG we've ever seen. Particularly where they do it by double-crossing us on draft day. Don't they understand the honor in an "under the table" deal? And then there was that ugly incident where Peter Nowak tried to bite the cleats off of Luis Hernandez.

So, if SJ faces Chicago, I have no problem with Californians uniting against the rest of the country and hoping Waibel and Mullan do well. I know most SJ fans don't feel the same about LA and would never support us, but I see that as their petty problem and no concern of mine.

And PZ is right, maybe Colorado gets us off the hook anyway - but I wouldn't bet on it.

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!

So, if SJ faces Chicago, I have no problem with Californians uniting against the rest of the country [/B][/QUOTE]

California united? Another LOL! The only question is, when the state gets split who gets stuck w/ Fresno?

17. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    We give them to Mexico.

18. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived in Fresno for 6 years and from my experience their, they'd go for splitting the state in thirds.
    • No Cal with all the tree huggers etc.
    • So Cal with all the pretty people
    • Central Cal with all the farmers.

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that there was a strong movement to create a new state out of Northernmost California and Southern Oregon - the State of Jefferson. World War II put that idea to rest, but its been out there in various forms since.

So, make California 4 states: Ecologgerland, Baytamento, Fresneck and El Ley.

The Central Coast might want out, too. Better make it five state.

20. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well hell, if that's the case, I'm sure the desert dwellers in Barstow would wanna make a break too. ;)

This thread gets the award for most off topic....

21. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    This is what happens when you play the same team four weekends in a row. There is no urgency to talk about what is essentially a meaningless game (i.e. no playoff implications).

Back on "topic," I would like to see the San Fernando Valley secede from the city of Los Angeles and then ultimately from the state of California. Governor Ahnold?!?!

22. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but wouldn't it be great to play spoiler and keep the Smurfs from the Shield??? Ok, I'm dreaming but it would be nice. :)

23. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only the 8th season -- all you need are a couple good seasons to be a big team! ;)

It's a shame the home and home (or the supporters shield for that matter) doesn't have more meaning -- these two games are going to be glorified exhibitions.

24. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read a great book which I remember from high school many moons ago called Ecotopia, which had Northern California, Oregon and Washington breaking off from the Union and forming their own country.

Don't remember many of the details, but the idea's been out there for a while.

Hopefully the Quakes will draw in two games, what the Galaxy will draw in the first game (a sell out).

25. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, isn't California alone something like the world's 8th largest economy? We already have more people than Canada :)