"Four on Four with Keepers"

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by LotharDSM, Oct 17, 2003.

1. LotharDSM

LotharDSM New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    So Futsal is a trademarked/copyrighted name? Interesting...

Locally it costs more to play at the "authorized" futsal facility in the article AND you have to register ($$) each year to play under the USFF designation. I wonder if the facility will make it because the majority of players think it's too expensive and lower cost unofficial leagues are all over the place. There's also an indoor soccer league that's much less expensive (but the field sucks) and a brand new indoor facility with an open turf field that could easily become a futsal court since you don't need boards. Should be interesting...

http://desmoinesregister.com/sports/stories/c6902891/22486640.html

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Really, it shouldn't cost more to play "authorized" futsal. There's less overhead than with the traditional indoor game (no boards, turf, etc.). I don't see what the problem is with having more than one league in town, either. There are tons of outdoor leagues in the same city all over the country (and sometimes several indoor arenas), so what's the big deal? Even though I'm a state futsal prez, I too wince at some of the things going on at the home office. As for the Menace, it'd be a good idea to call it "court soccer," or something. To me, futsal has always sounded like foot powder or something :D.

3. LotharDSM

LotharDSM New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Des Moines, IA
    Re: Re: "Four on Four with Keepers"

What does a league session cost in your area?

The official Futsal arena here was just built and opened up last winter I believe, it has 2 courts with plexiglass around 3 walls, the 4th being the benches and the outer walls of the building. It's very nice, but the cost differential is:
    Official Futsal: $450/session for 6 games for youth (5 games for adults).
    Menace "4 on 4 with keepers": $360/session for 8 games, youth only (U8-U17) so it doesn't help us old farts out.
    I also know of several leagues going on at YMCA's and other gyms, we'll see if the "official" group survives...

4. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Re: Re: Re: "Four on Four with Keepers"

The only place where I live (west side of Atlanta) charges around $700 per team (youth or adults), for nine weeks. It's not turf-n-boards, just turf (they call it "European-style" indoor; probably more like traditional five-a-side). $450 is cheap (in a good way), but then, it should be, since they don't have to have turf or boards to deal with. I think that's about what they charge for the Disney tournament, or did, anyway.