four nations in brazil in december

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

The key here is that Abby scored another 100 goals or so since some of you started saying it. I'll stick my neck out and say Sepp Blatter will die someday. When he does, I'll post a big "told you so" if I'm still alive. :x3:

sitruc, kolabear and taosjohn repped this.
  2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't one of those people until recently. This last tournament was what pushed me over the edge.

And to be quite honest, I find her "I'll just get myself in shape by playing games" attitude a little insulting to the players that stay in shape year round without needing to rely on games to get themselves fit.

If, and right now this is a huge if, the old Abby makes one last appearance next summer and leads the team to a WC title, I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong. But taking into consideration her age, the physical toll of the past decade, and her serious lack of form all year, the odds are not in her favor.

FCKCEvans, Namdynamo and kolabear repped this.
  3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pfumpf. I'll stick my neck out and say I bet Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
    But yes, I'm open to arguments and well-considered opinions that this time, indeed, is different. I see she still has 14 goals (or something like that) on the year for the US but how many have been against good teams this time around?

Four years ago I was pretty sure she was still a very powerful force in the game. Maybe I just haven't been able to follow as closely this time around but I don't think the signs are as favorable. (Of course the other thing 4 years ago is that she partnered so well with Alex Morgan aka Baby Horse. Lately Morgan has been out injured most of the time)

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that's gone unnoticed in the discussion over the offside call is that the 2008 to 2012 version of A-Rod would've skied that ball into the 20th row.

exref, Romario'sgurl and socfandan repped this.
  5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 goals against Korea DPR and one against Switzerland. The rest have been against teams below the Top 20.

And it's not just the lack of goals against top tier opposition. It's her play overall. Abby has never been a speed demon, but this year she's just looked even slower than before. Passes that she would have gotten to even last year are now lost causes. I lost count of how many chances the team had against Argentina that she either completely wasted or was fortunate enough to have Press or Lloyd putting them away. Lately it seems like the only impact she has on matches is arguing with the officials. Any other player in that kind of form would have been benched a long time ago until they got their act together.

Since it seems like Ellis is pinning her hopes on Abby returning to form by June, I want so desperately to be wrong about Abby, because I want this team to win the WC and shut the doubters up. I'm sick of this generation never getting the credit they deserve because they're still stuck in the shadow of the '99ers. Getting over that hurdle and bringing home that trophy would do that. But it won't happen as long as the team is relying on a player who is so badly out of form.

kolabear repped this.
  6. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Chalupny suddenly guaranteed a spot on the World Cup roster? And is KO really suddenly that non-competitive among the defenders on the team? Is her only hope to make it to Canada to switch positions?

I can't say with certainty that you're wrong. But I pray that you are. And not just because KO is my favorite player [as may be obvious]. I honestly feel that she has a lot to offer the team and that the World Cup roster would be significantly weaker in her absence [nothing against Chalupny].

I really hope that KO's performance in this game doesn't eventually [even in part] keep her off the World Cup roster. Ellis forced O'Hara into a position she had not played in four months. In the NWSL, KO played for a completely different team with a completely different dynamic against completely different opponents. Ellis was unreasonably optimistic in hoping that what worked for Sky Blue in the summer could be instantly applied to the USWNT a third of a year later against a world-class opponent like Brazil.

7. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Did you watch the pod cast and read the discussion over in the ref's forum ?
    Although this law was in the book that long, US Soccer even told their refs not to apply them in late 2013.
    The podcast also had examples from Oct 2014 and there were still confusions about this law.
    I don't remember it being applied last summer.

exref repped this.
  8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm not going to criticize anyone for being a superfan of any player, since that would be me throwing stones in my glass house.

I think O'Hara is on the outside looking in for 2 possible reasons:

1- She was a victim of an unfortunate injury at the wrong time. By the end of the Algarve Cup last year, she had the starting job pretty much locked down. Had she stayed healthy, there wouldn't have been as much competition for the role. But when she got hurt, that threw the battle for the starting job wide open. Others were suddenly given their chance to step in and take the job. And just when she was coming back into form, we had the coaching change.

2- Back in 2008, Ellis was the coach of the U-20 team, and O'Hara reportedly turned down a call-up to the U-20's to focus on Stanford. I realize it was 8 years ago, but rumors have popped up in the past that Ellis is still holding a grudge against O'Hara for that. I don't think it's true, but still a possibility.

9. EbaJones

EbaJones Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    FFC Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure of that because I think Dunn may be on the outside and possibly JJ as well both of whom couldn't get any or much PT based on how they performed in the camp. Neither was injured. So we will need to see who they add to the mix, if anyone, in January. Had KO played better in the last match I think she would have locked herself in as a utility player who could play several spots. I think the starting outside backs will be Ali and Lori with Kling as first backup and then either KO/Dunn as the second backup.

10. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Are you sure Dunn wasn't being treated similar to Morgan......

11. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think using KO as a forward in this game was so much an effort to experiment or test her in that position. For Ellis to even consider transferring O'Hara to that position, she would have had to have a breathtaking, absolutely outstanding performance against Brazil. And has been pointed out, she clearly did not.

I think KO was just being used as a placeholder. For some reason, Ellis chose to use O'Hara, untested as she was as a forward for the USWNT, against an opponent that might exploit any potential weakness, rather than use an actual forward (A-Rod) at her disposal. I was intrigued at first, but I quickly realized how bizarre a decision it was.

If it was meant as an exploratory move, I think it probably would have been better to attempt it first in a slightly less challenging game. If O'Hara couldn't "show her stuff" against even a mediocre opponent, then it would be clearly best not to continue the experiment. If she could "show her stuff", then she could be played as a forward against tougher opponents to further test her ability in a trial-by-fire like this game.

Regardless of whether that's the position in which she may ultimately be most useful, I don't think the team has the time or games left before the 2015 World Cup to develop KO as a forward [it might have been different had the effort started back in the summer]. So I wouldn't highly support repeating this lineup curveball in the next five months. Playing KO as a mid would be less of a dramatic transition.

12. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate that. Thanks.

I just hope that if KO doesn't make the World Cup roster, it's because she's not one of the 20 most useful players [not including the three goalkeepers] in the effort to win the tournament, not because of a poorly timed injury or ancient history. But I realize that both of these reasons may have kept some of the best players in the world off World Cup rosters in the past.

13. Hisownshadow

Hisownshadow Member

May 11, 2012
    How is some one on the out side when they're coming back from injury?

Just because you practice with the team doesn't mean your fit enough play in a game.

14. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    If the players that played in this tournament are a lock, than were in some big trouble come world cup time.

JanBalk repped this.
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1740 MRAD12, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    I enjoy reading about everyone's favorites and take on what player(s) they think should be...

I'm a superfan of two players, Chalupny and Holiday - love the whole package of these two players. I am a futbal fan of Alex Morgan and Becky Sauerbrunn - love to watch them play the game, Becky is a straight out futbal player, and Alex besides being a fantastic finisher, is just good for the promotion of the women's game. The camera loves her.
    I'm a sentimental fan of Meghan Klingenberg - she is full of energy and just seems like a great teammate to be around. I am a realistic fan of Hope Solo - may not agree with all the drama over the years, but she is one heck of a goalkeeper.
    I think I have a love-hate mental relationship with Lloyd, but I'm coming around more postively on her - I didn't like when she grabbed Vanessa Dibernardo by the jersey and threw her to the ground at Toyota Park last NWSL season, frustrated at her when she elbowed the Brazilian in Florida. But I have to love her attitude and growing leadership on the field for the USWNT and can't wait to see how she blends in at Houston and playing for Randy Waldrum.

Just some thoughts.

16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    no on both counts.

but I may be right, as you surmise.

another strike against her is that she is not a natural left back like chalupa & kling seem to be.

her big strength is that she can is versatile enough that she can still make the team as a rb/lb/defensive forward (the only thing she really did on sunday/dm (hasn't been tried yet, but I fully expect to see it).

my point, which was poorly made (she doesn't have to switch positions - just add more), is that that versatility may be the only way for her to make the team.

17. EbaJones

EbaJones Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    FFC Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have heard (second hand) Dunn was fine, cleared to play and wasn't in the top 18 match to match. I haven't seen anything indicating she was in recovery and a couple of Harris posts stated that Morgan and Harris were working out on getting fit with no mention of Dunn being held out. Could be wrong but I think she was cleared coming into camp.

18. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    Although that is a better story that is not accurate. Dunn had not run since her injury and first time was first day at camp. She had separate work sessions with Alex Morgan but was definitely ahead of Alex. She was not fit and you saw in one of the photos posted that she was still icing her knee after training. I heard from a close source that although she was ahead of Alex Morgan she was not 100% yet and the first priority of the camp was to get her fit. Although from what I heard should could have played such a decision was remote.

Namdynamo and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  19. Silver Frost

Silver Frost Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Isn't that what Ellis thinks too? KO was a stopgap player under Pia, and did well enough, but Ellis clearly has doubts about KO's form or suitability on an Ellis coached team. I think she's better than Chalupny at LB, but Ellis wants defenders who can come up and set plays. KO has the speed, but Chalupny seems to be better with the ball at her feet. However, I doubt 30 yr old Chalupny is going to be rock solid for us against primo opponents for 90+.

20. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you did cut off the sentence I originally wrote when you quoted me, but I also wasn't clear enough.

I meant that if Ellis leaves O'Hara off the roster bound for Canada, I hope that it's because, at that moment in time, there are actually and objectively at least 20 players available who are more useful than her in the effort to win the World Cup. Obviously Ellis is going to have her own opinions on KO's usefulness in her World Cup master plan (if she has one). But Ellis's vision may not necessarily be the one that can take apart the teams we'll be facing in June.

It was amazing to me [in a good way] that Chalupny could pick up right where she left off five years ago after just one camp back with the USWNT. But it was equally amazing to me [in a sort of bad way] that she could instantly put O'Hara's spot on the roster in so much jeopardy.

21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    you have less confidence in chalupny than many on this board including me.

imho, once she is caught up on fitness, chalupny in fact will be rock solid for us against primo opponents for 90+.

ko may make a spot appearance against france, but chalupa it will be for all other top opponents.

22. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Dunn was a clear starter for a while in early 2014. I am biased clearly , but I think dunn is a top 11 when healthy and I will be very surprised if she heals and dose not make WC

23. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She strikes me as a difference-maker. Clearly one of the standouts at the U20s. Obvious the coaching staff sees her the same way, but of course she has to get fit and she's lost some development time, which she needs .

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Assuming Dunn makes it over KO, her hopes might rest with Johnston. If Johnston makes it as both 4th CB and DM that might open a spot for O'Hara as a utility person.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If anyone has a grudge for 2008 it's DiCicco and on one of the CONCACAF broadcasts that he did, I heard him include KO as part of his 2008 championship team so maybe all is forgiven. Ellis picked the opening camp roster then bailed on the team to become Sundhages Olympic Assistant. Now Ellis may carry a bit of a grudge from the development side but u would think Press would fall under the same umbrella. Besides, the two subs he found at striker turned out to be OK.

Another possibility is how O'Hara fared in the famous DiCicco summery report where some unnamed players were severely criticized. Ellis would certainly be privy to all that info tho ud think in any case the 2012 Olympic campaign wiped away any doubts.

I personally dont think it's any of the above. On the left Ellis seems enamored with Chalupny's left foot and Klingenbergs offensive game. U have to make Krieger a lock so it's Dunn's potential vs KO's experience. Also, Gustavsson seems to be running the defense and seems a big Klingenberg supporter.