Four Great Storylines for this Weekend's games

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DoctorD, Oct 29, 2004.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hollywood would be proud. MLS has ended up with four compelling storylines this weekend. I'll be doing my best to watch all four games.

DC-Metrostars Where have you gone Bob Bradley? Can Bruce Arena's heir apparent win the big game? Can DC make it 3 in a row vs NY/NJ? With the bouncing stands of RFK against them, the MetroStars have a formidable challenge against the hottest team in MLS over the last month.

KC-SJ Best chance for a series upset. KC's suffocating, grind 'em down play may not be able to produce a 3 goal victory. But if they do, this may be Donovan's last MLS game for a long time.

LA-Col Will the soccer gods punish LA's hubris, firing Sigi with his team at the top, by continuing to push all LA shots into the woodwork? Or will the offensive firepower of LA render Colorado's bunker defense helpless. Colorado can always point to Euro 2004 and claim they are simply mimicing successful European teams.

Cbus-NE Despite their record no-loss streak, the Crew rarely looked invincible. Now is the time to prove their critics wrong. On the other hand, a NE victory would cement Steve Nicol's reputation for pulling late season miracles out of a hat.

2. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Screw the three goal victory. The Wiz just got to win by two. We'll worry about a third in overtime.

3. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope kc wins 1-0 so this home and home series cr_p is exposed as being unfair to teams who earned the higher seed all year.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but what about all the people who complain KC plays overly defensive and boring soccer? Wouldn't a KC series loss expose those tactics as ultimately futile.

Or would you have preferred one game at Arrowhead? Like the SJ win on the ESPN-televised game?

5. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    ONE game at Arrowhead with no cameras would be the best for them.

6. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    ONE game at Arrowhead with no cameras would be the best for them. Wait, I take that back. The Wiz haven't done well with no T\/ period. Remember that loss to Chitown 3-1? Anyway, I'll shut up now.

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great so far. And the KC-SJ game turned out to be the most entertaining of the three.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the two teams that, more than anyone else, owed their success this year to their keepers just didn't have the firepower to advance. This playoff format does not reward teams that can only bunker.

9. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I see a 7 win team in the playoffs being more of the MIRACLE to me. Wait, this is MLS, its actually not that suprising at all.