Founder's Cup III Predictions...

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by twell_girl, Aug 26, 2002.

1. knm1172

knm1172 Member

Dec 22, 2000
    Valley of edible air
    I would think the west coast would be the choice. Only because the first two were on the east coast, and with the set up of 8 teams in the league that would give the FC to the west coast every three years. That is, if the intention was to be fair for the fan base.

As to venue . . . who knows?? Spartan is big enough to hold it. Torerro is a little on the small side. Other options would probably have to be sought out for San Diego to host it.

But then again . . . who the heck knows!!

2. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    is there a chance it could be at qualcomm stadium? either spartan or anywhere in san diego (socal for that matter) would work fine with me...

...ciao!

3. knm1172

knm1172 Member

Dec 22, 2000
    Valley of edible air

I'm not sure that Qualcomm sets up well as a soccer venue. Plus, there is always the fact that it is the Padres home field. And it does fall in the middle of the season. So, scheduling could get a little interesting.

Torerro is a great venue to see a soccer match. I was thinking that perhaps the WUSA people that be would want to market the finals to a larger audience than the 6,000 + that Torerro provides. I'm not really familiar with other stadiums in the San Diego area.

I don't honestly recall any soccer matches being held at Qualcomm (or when it was Jack Murphy). The usual thing for soccer in so. cal. is to move it up the road to L.A.

4. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to be aligned mathematically with the team distribution, the FC should be on the west coast once every four years (a fourth of the teams are on the west coast). Certainly it should be there in either 2003 or 2004.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Founder's Cup III Predictions...

MNT matches at Jack Murphy/Qualcomm:

1/17/97
    0-1 loss to Peru (35,282)

3/14/98
    2-2 draw with Paraguay (15,253)

3/13/99
    1-2 loss to Mexico (50,324)

One MNT match at DeVore Stadium:
    1-2 loss to Iceland on 4/24/94 (3,017)

6. Ms_Spiritus

Ms_Spiritus Member

Aug 27, 2002
    San Diego
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeVore Stadium? Wow! I wouldn't think they'd consider playing there. It's nice but far too small for friendlies. Is the stadium size the reason for low attendance?

-Tony