Foudy Repents!

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Bora Fan, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Loz.

Loz. New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    Rack him.

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just glad you're a fellow R.E.M. nut.

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the best of my diminishing Latin knowledge, I think you are correct. :) But I had to get my MPFC ref in there.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not just for the interests of the sport as a cause - It's in the financial interests of the sport as a business as well.

Let's get one thing straight. Every business - EVERY BUSINESS - anywhere in the world will collaborate with a competitor in the interests of reducing costs and, thus, making money. That's always been the case - always will be.

Simply put - if you amortise indirect costs, (grounds, back-room staff, etc.), over a greater number of items you increase profitability.

In any event if they play matches one after another, (double-header?), they aren't really competitors in even the most superficial sense.

5. athens77

athens77 New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Durham, NC, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only thing in this thread I am 100% sure I agree with!

(Currently I am looking out my office window into the window that Stipe lost his religion, and danced like a really white guy, in front of)

6. railguitar

railguitar New Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Actually some of us do know. It was The Clique. REM's version was pretty close, but with a beefed-up rhythm section.

7. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    My high school "band" (actually two of us with a four-track recorder, a microphone, a guitar and a keyboard) did an amusing version.

(I'm figuring the thread will be closed soon since we haven't discussed Julie Foudy in 3-4 days.)

8. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for making this thread so interesting - I just posted someone else's words with mine in the "subject" and this is how far we got.

If I can repeat myself - let's close this thread in style. . .

Hit it Ringo.

"And in the end the love Foudy took, is equal to the love. . . she made."

9. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
  10. HogNose

HogNose New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Chihuahuan Desert

11. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    :eek:

Miracles never cease...

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mia Carried the Men's Game

I saw Foudy's comment in the Trib today and said to myself, "Oh boy."

I've defended her in the past but not on this one. Her foot, her mouth.

13. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.

14. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    I've defended her in the past, too. But that's a dumb thing for her to say.

15. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I think Mia's high profile helped U.S. Soccer in immeasurable ways. But "carried"? Yeah, I'd call that at least a poor choice of words.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm the one with the $50 reward. I'll take anything... a link to a reputable news site, someone faxing me a copy of an article where this was said, a videotape of a TV interview, whatever.

Sachin

17. rcleopard

rcleopard New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Surely she doesn't mean that Mia Hamm is the reason soccer is popular around the world, right? I mean, carried the sport? Yeah, what about that Beckham fellow or that Ronaldo fellow? Hey, isn't there this guy named.. Zebra.. Zalnut.. no! Zidane! That's it! I could hardly remember who he was because of Mia Hamm. Who's Pele?

Carried the men's game my arse. You just lost your league and you're saying that your star player has carried soccer for years?

Amazing. Ostriches really do bury their heads in the sand.

Jarrod

18. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL

Dude. Come on. We can all agree it was a silly quote, but clearly Foudy is talking about soccer in the U.S.

As naive as she is, I don't think she's batty.

19. rcleopard

rcleopard New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Is she? I don't know. I really don't. What I do know is that the WUSA wasn't even in operation for five years, and that mens leagues have been around before, during, and after the WUSA, and have thrived far better than the WUSA did. If she can close her eyes and pretend that those leagues didn't exist, despite it being all around her, what makes you think she can't do it for the rest of the world?

Either way, for her to say this proves only one thing to me. Julie Foudy views the WUSA as a feminist cause. So.. if she's involved with the new one, I probably won't be watching their games. I want to see soccer on the forefront, not blatant radical feminism.

Jarrod

20. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Without a doubt, there are people in MLS who are intolerant so-and-sos who bear genuine ill will toward people of almost every race or creed. Doesn't stop me from watching.

21. rcleopard

rcleopard New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    True enough. But their founders?!?

Jarrod

22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Gave us the shootout. :)

23. rcleopard

rcleopard New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Well, the shootout is a crime against nature itself, but they saw the light and removed it. I mean that the MLS founders did not ever say anything like the WUSA founders have.

Jarrod

24. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    I think Julie Foudy lurks here, she's been reading this thread & she said Mia has been carrying the men's game to Troll everyone here.

Like the old saying goes, "I don't care what you say about me, as long as you spell my name right."

25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    She didn't register a glimmer of recognition when I mentioned the site to her a couple of months ago. Therefore, one of the following is true:

A. She doesn't read BigSoccer.

B. She's someone you really don't want to play in poker.