Forward to the 1980's with Microsoft

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Naughtius Maximus, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You couldn't make it up, could you!!!

January 30th 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6309651.stm

'Microsoft starts Vista hard sell - Microsoft has launched its latest version of Windows, called Vista, with more than 100m computers predicted to be using it worldwide within 12 months. Microsoft founder Bill Gates called the launch a "big day" that would bring a new digital workstyle and lifestyle. The new operating system (OS) boasts an improved interface and security tools.

February 1st 2007, i.e. 2 days later

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6320865.stm

'Vista has speech recognition hole - Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders. Vista can respond to vocal commands and concern has been raised about malicious audio on websites or sent via e-mail. In one scenario outlined by users an MP3 file of voice instructions was used to tell the PC to delete documents. Microsoft said the exploit was "technically possible" but there was no need to worry. The firm has pointed out that in order for the flaw to be exploited the speech recognition feature would need to be activated and configured and both microphone and speakers would have to be switched on.

SO! We only need to worry about our new Windows operating system deleting all our files if the new speech recognition software is enabled and both the speakers and microphone work correctly. Clearly, such an unlikely scenario as to not be worth considering.

Great stuff!!! :D

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I've read the speech recognition in Vista is crap anyway.

Anyway, the tech guy at work recommended not installing Vista just yet, among other things because even a new system will get a performance knock as compared to when it would run the x64 version of XP.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't understand. Do you not want speech recognition that can control the computer, or do you not want the ability to send .wav files through email?

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I know your message was probably directed at the original poster, but I have yet to see a real advantage to the use of voice recognition in a business environment. I know that some coroners use it for their autopsy reports, but that it largely due to the fact that the vocubulary in a coroners report is fairly limitative. Once the vocabulary is more extensive, the software has much more flaws.

5. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Didn't the IBM Aptiva come equipped with speech recognition back in the early 90's?

I believe 94' to be exact.

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to work with speech recognition software (in aircraft control scenarios), and in contextual applications you can approach 99.9% accuracy, without training the software to any particular speaker.

MS's is undoubtedly less accurate, for many reasons.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know if you're sking me that question but I'll answer it anyway.

What I want is an operating system and software that's written properly and has been thought about.

Here's an idea just off the top of my head. What about disabling the speech recognition function, (at least for system functions like deleting files), during the playback of sound files. Apart from anything else if there is noise from the speakers you won't be properly heard anyway so what's the point.

AH! Of course. That would mean someone thinking about it before they release it.

8. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They were. Just as it was in the Mac, which has the same features and the same "flaw".
    So you want the speech recognition to not work when you are, say, playing MP3s or when you are using the computer as a media player for your TV? What use is that then? I always have computer music going, at work and at home.

Really, this is just a made-up nothing by people looking to fault Microsoft for something just because they don't like them. You have to stick the microphone into the speaker to even make this happen.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there was a youtube clip floating around about two months ago of the official Windows/microsoft debut of this feature and the entire presentation blew up in their face. it was unresponsive or just plain didn't work. I felt bad for the guy running it because you could tell he didn't know what to do.
    funny stuff.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wouldn't know. Don't use it. :)
    Let's just hope your favourite band never releases a single called 'delete all files' then.

For the rest of us it seems pretty basic that a simple sound file should not be able to delete files from your computer but maybe that's just me. Y'know, being old fashioned and all.
    No. This is just some people sick to the back teeth with having to try and support people using MS products that are ill-considered and poorly implemented.
    So you're saying that it will only happen if an end-user puts something into the wrong hole? Oh well, clearly THAT'S never gonna happen. What are we worrying about!

11. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why is it that when third party companies can release software that does this (and they have for decades) and when Apple do the same no one cares, but when Microsoft does it everyone jumps on their backs?

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jealousy of Microsoft's success.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's the other way round. If any other software does something as stupid as this they're rightly criticised and they usually correct the flaw. Why should MS, (which, it has to be said, also has vastly greater funding for software development), be any different.

The reality is that MS has made a habit of releasing software which has bugs and insecure features. They've been promising to create a computing nirvana for the past 20+ years. It hasn't happened and I doubt it's gonna any time soon.

This is slightly different in that the flaw has been realised virtually at the launch. AFAIK, that's pretty much a first... even for microsoft.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've only just noticed this. Are you SERIOUS???

I've worked in network security for over 15 years and, trust me, MS products are not properly thought through. In relation to security in particular they take the course of least resistance. When given a choice between some 'feature', (which maybe one person in a thousand will use), and keeping the machine secure, they always seem to choose the former... and people like me have to try and pick up the pieces.

15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get it, Andy. You don't like Microsoft.

Thanks for sharing.

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know, we should just start a general Apple vs. Windows thread where posts like this can be moved to .....

keep things clean around here (and yes, I know I've been guilty on this matter :eek:)

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well throw Linux into the mix too.

Personally, I hate OS religious wars. All have strengths, all have weaknesses. I'm a developer. As such, I'm pro whichever operating system will make the most money for me. Right now, that operating system is Windows.

18. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
  19. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The thing is, you don't have to be Linux or Mac fanboy to point out fundamental flaws in Windows. Yeah, they're big so they attract their share of jealousy and scrutiny, but is it really engaging in religious warfare to point out that they've been behind the curve in security and overall user friendliness?

Yeah, you have a vested personal interest in Windows. But that shouldn't stop you from wanting Windows to be better, right?

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey, there's been occasions when I'd have happily dressed like a 5-dollar hooker to get the stuff to work too!!!

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But isn't that simply an admission tnat you've got a vested interest in pushing Windows?

I understand your position from a financial standpoint but my background has taught me that windows apparent ease of use is often something of an illusion. As others have pointed out elsewhere on these boards, for the bulk of users they would be much more likely to be able to do those things they actually WANT to do, (i.e. type letters, calculate spreadsheets, manipulate data, etc.), in the long term if they installed linux or used Mac's.

Just about the only reason I can think of to have windows is to play games.

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uh, wow. if they ever need to replace the 'PC' guy in the Mac commericials, they could use the day-glo she-rapper. :D

23. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Anyone know the footprint for Vista? I want to give it a go but fear my ancient laptop can't handle it.

24. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    If you had to use the word "ancient", Vista probably isn't worth it for you.

In fact, if you're not developing apps for Vista, there's probably no reason at all to run it just yet. Eventually there will be apps (mostly games) that require Vista, but not yet.... and if you've got an ancient laptop you probably aren't playing many higher end games :D

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what i've heard.

While it is true that anyone can buy Vista now, it would be a wise decision to wait until compability issues are fixed, bugs are squashed, and the tech support lines cool down. Let other people go through the growing pains for you.

If what you have works for you, there's no need to change it, is there?

And when you do decide to upgrade, in many cases, the cost of a new computer might not be that different from the cost of upgrading. Keep your monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc. and build your own system. (You have a laptop, which is harder to upgrade anyway, or so i've been told.)