Forth Eorlingas - Stoke City v. The Arsenal, Saturday, August 19 2017 1730 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Aug 16, 2017.

1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's a clown

2 left backs in a back 3 lmao

banco and cantona94 repped this.
  2. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said before Leicester city
    Same shit in August
    Short handed
    We will have 3 pts by end of transfer window deadline
    More panic buys
    Apparently seri signed with Barca
    Another " target" gone

cantona94 repped this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Welcome to the new season

Same as the old season

NorthBank and Fifty repped this.
  4. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blames the defense on a day we don't score?

He really makes it hard to support him doesn't he.

Fifty and cantona94 repped this.
  5. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger will retire a legend
    He has done more for this club that any manager preceding .. it isn't even close
    But yes - he should step down - it's natural order of things

6. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but he has stained that legend.

7. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably will but I think it will come years after he retires. I think in the years immediately after he finally (please for the love of god) leaves, there will be too much ill will towards his demeanor and stubbornness. Most will only think of his driving the club towards a range of mediocrity. Others will think of the fractious fan attitudes and possible apathy.

As for doing more for the club than any manager preceding, that's up for debate. I believe the stats show there are previous Arsenal managers who have delivered more trophies per matches or years managed than Wenger, something like that. Too many people forget past history sadly.

But again, you're probably right, he will be seen as a legend, it just may take 15-20 years before he's fully appreciated. And he really only has his ridiculous stubbornness to blame if it comes to that. He's more responsible for tarnishing his own legacy than anyone else.

ZIAD repped this.
  8. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No clinical finishing at all. Same old. No energy in this squad even with the new signings. Blah. This was a game you HAVE to win or
    else your no where! We're no where. Pretty disappointing.

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Outside of Herbert Chapman, you are right.

daedalus, Fifty and cantona94 repped this.
  10. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I just hope we sign a striker before the deadline; Wenger needs help in the midfield.

11. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger doesn't need help. He just needs to go.

12. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    second game of the season and all the ugly shit has already raised its head again. Why cant we finish? Welbeck should not start ever. He cant finish which has been his MO for 10 years which is why MU got rid of him. 40 chances today and nobody can finish. Blame the defense all you want but its going to be a long season if we cant score after literally 10 very good chances in this match.
    Didn't see anything today at all to make me feel optimistic about his season. ********ing broken record deja vu all over again. second match of the season and I'm already losing interest. I guess this is about the earliest ever in an Arsenal season when I can say "I'm not feeling it" at all about the team. We got nothing going on.

cantona94 repped this.
  13. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Disagree. I'm huge on going negative in Arsenal for the past several years. But saw some potential.

I always complain that when against a packed defense we lack variety in breaking them down. Today it was through the middle, over the top, wide, long shots-it bodes well.

But you're also right, we don't have a stone cold finisher.

14. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah ok
    Buddy lol

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm upset about the result, but I thought the performance was decent. Not good, but decent. I thought we were the better team, and were a more than a little unlucky.

Every team has a couple of games where they get completely hosed, and being the better team at Stoke is rare for Arsenal.

Regarding the subs, so far it seems like Theo Walcott is useless in the new formation, and it suits Iwobi really well. Xhaka has to play deeper and disciplined with Ramsey.

Next week at Anfield will tell us a lot about this team.

16. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good factual argument...

17. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I quit caring about Wenger a while ago, except that it would be nice that when and if he resigns or quits or gets fired, that the club _not_ put a statue of him outside the ground or name anything after him or the like. As far as I'm concerned, he's Bruce Rioch who lasted longer.

cantona94 and Fifty repped this.
  18. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Not for me. Everybody said Jack Butland had a good game and I suppose he did, but how many goals should Stoke have conceded, given our chances. Two at the outside I'd say, one penalty maybe and Lacazette's finish not given offside. That's not enough, as we can be the better team, as we were and still not win.

There were a lot of complaints about our early fixtures but this one I thought was a break for us. We have to go to Stoke sometime, it might as well be a Saturday midday in August when the weather is warm and the pitch is in good shape.

19. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    It could be that way but it doesn't necessarily have to be. As bad things are, Wenger's ability to get value in the transfer market is the "good" Wenger. It gets worse from there.

There's been a few real talents that just became available, at least supposedly, ie Draxler and maybe a couple others. Mahrez is still available. It's when the window shuts and Wenger has to coach what he has that the real incompetence comes out.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Being the better tEam is great if u win

How often do we dominate these games and lose? Too often

Wenger even subbed off our most clinical player and kept on welbeck who couldn't score in a brothel

21. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    As far as the game went, one thing that we were hoping for is that the 3 at the back would at least be papering over some of our defensive frailties. It's been evident so far at least that it hasn't papered over Xhaka's lack of mobility which has been a real sore spot for us.

I think Ramsey can still be a great player, but the way he plays he has to finish much better than he does. He gets in great scoring positions but doesn't score enough, I'm not sure what that's supposed to do for us.

GIven that we're playing 3 at the back and the level of talent of our opponents in the EPL, we cannot afford any passengers in attack. Unfortunately, that's exactly what Welbeck is at the moment.

I've got no idea what our selections at the back were supposed to be. As far as I know both Holding and Chambers were healthy and available. Yet neither even made the bench. Monreal played and Marty was on the bench. Please no.

This is a squad with some talent, plus we've got money and there's still quality available in the window. I'd like to see what somebody other than Wenger could make of it. Quite a bit better I'd venture.

22. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Someone, kill the groundhog

thebigman repped this.
  23. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Fan apathy is where its at. For example look at this forum, its quiet silent these days.

cantona94 repped this.
  24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's early in the season: a bad result combined with a good performance gives more cause for optimism than a good result combined with a bad performance.

Every team has 2-3 games a season (or more) where they play well and something like this happens. But we historically haven't played well at Stoke. We've gotten our asses handed to us most years.

25. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    no, man. i absolutely agree with you. we absolutely have the talent to pose a challenge. we just have a manager who cannot be bothered.

Aaron d repped this.