Fort Lauderdale=MLS

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by bobbyfusion, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is how you build a fanbase. Season ticket holders are the core of your fanbase, they are the ones who comes to every game, buy concessions, buy merchandise, and support the team consistently. Miami FC had practically nothing in the way of season ticket holders, while the Fort Lauderdale Strikers in the span of a month and a half got over 1,000.

Lucho my firend, you're back! You're still using the same failed arguments, but I'm glad to see you here posting in the Strikers forum. No matter what you or I or anyone else believes the cause was, the fact of the matter is Miami FC nearly folded, and was just hanging on by a thread. If Traffic was going to keep a team here, something had to change. They had to make a business decision. And to their credit, it wasn't done overnight, it took quite awhile, and even more importantly, they got the input of fans. You want to keep saying it's Traffic's fault Miami FC didn't succeed, especially in Miami. But the fact of the matter is, if Dade County fans came out in any kind of decent numbers, we'd never be at this point. The club didn't advertise itself any more when it moved to Lockhart then when it was in Dade, but even that brought a slightly higher attendance number.

Lucho...come on. You're frustrated and grasping at straws here. This is really too absurd to spend much time on. Traffic didn't say, "Ok, let's set up a franchise in Miami and call it Miami FC. We'll bleed cash on it for 5 years and then suddenly rebrand it to the Fort Lauderdale Strikers and cash in, cha-ching!!! I can give you respect for your civic pride Lucho, and for your passion, however misguided and unfathomable, that Miami is somehow better or greater than the rest of the tri-county area. But this is just total nonsesne.

Lucho, if this were even remotely true, Miami would be vying with NY2 for spot #20 right now. MLS is dying to get themselves into the SE. There are huge television markets here, which means big bucks. If anyone was even reasonably confident that Miami could actually support a team, there would already be one, or there would be a real, organized, likely to be successful push for one already. Did the league handle the Fusion situation properly? Many would say not. But that isn't what is keeping a team from Miami today.

I think unknowingly you've hit on one of the biggest problems with MLS not being a product that Miami will ever truly embrace. All those Cubans, Colombians, Argentinians, Hondurans, and so on, they all readily embrace high profile friendlies involving foreign clubs and foreign national teams. They've all grown up knowing what top flight international soccer looks like, and frankly, MLS still isn't there. From what I've seen and heard over the years, latins would prefer to watch a Mexican premier league game on tv then go watch a local MLS team. I'm not latino, but I've certainly known, been around, and listened to plenty of latin soccer fans over my 35+ years in South Florida, so it's just an opinion. And I'm not saying it's the main issue, but it is one of them.

We keep going around in a circle and coming back to the same point. Right now South Florida has only one professional soccer team - the Fort Lauderdale Strikers. The return of this storied franchise to our area has energized the pro soccer fanbase in a way that we have not seen since the original Strikers left nearly 30 years ago. It doesn't take a degree in quantum theory to figure out you've finally hit on something that is working if you're Traffic, so why on earth would anyone expect them to change a single thing at this point? Add in the fact that Miami has never supported a pro soccer team to the point of being viable, and you're left at the same crossroads Don Garber, Commish of the MLS, left you at a few months ago - nothing is happening here with MLS unless the Strikers get supported in a big way. So whether you feel Fort Lauderdale is worthy of your support or not, it's the only way MLS is ever coming anywhere near where you live, so you've got to make a choice. Come down to Lockhart, join the boys over in 113 and have an awesome time along with what is certainly going to be an average of 5,000+ this year; or be mad, stay home, and be happy with watching MLS teams from markets other than Miami on tv. I hope you and your friends decide to join us at Lockhart Lucho, I really do. The first two games were simply electric, and the team didn't even win either of them! When this team starts putting it together on the field and winning games, it's only going to get better!

2. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My input here is that Miami is a "international" soccer market not a "local" soccer market. I would like to see numbers for actual viewers in Miami who watch MLS.

3. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn smoke and mirrors, I guess we will be going in circles, as much as you say what you want to say, im not budging. I want a team in Miami, and if they dont bring one here,and they do bring one to ft, lauderdale then great, thats fine.

I just dont apreciate the negative view on Miami in the soccer market when in reality it never had a chance.

-Yes they had MLS in Miami: Bad ownership, no home in Miami, MLS was a shitty league
    -Yes they had Miami FC: They spend no money on advertising, shitty rosters, never went to play-offs.

Now is the time for MLS Miami... MLS is a growing league, better than what they were when the fusion was in, More international competition (RSL success in CCL), with the right ownership, and money, they can be succesful.

Ft. Lauderdale is shaping up to be a great D2 team thats fine, but honestly how does strikers plan to go into MLS, what ownership group, who will invest in this team for MLS especially knowig that Garber wants 100 million for a team?

Marcelo Claure is a man from Miami, he wants a team in Miami, and he already owns a successful club in Bolivia, with the partnership of Beckham this expansion team can be successful.

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only scenario I see for any of our clubs to be in MLS:

There could be pro/rel if NASL ever becomes stable i.e. NASL could buy two franchises in MLS and institute pro/rel between those teams only. The way it would work would be for the original MLS clubs to be protected from relegation due to the high investment made by the owners. Call them the “Founding Members” or “Legacy MLS” or whatever. NASL could put their two teams in the league (for example, if this stated in 2012, the two teams that finish tops in D2 would join MLS in 2013). Every season the team who finishes lowest (regardless of overall standing in the league) of the two gets relegated back to D2. The winner of the D2 league gets promoted the next season and takes the spot of the relegated team. What that could do is create excitement for the D2 clubs and give them hope that their team could one day play D1 with the "big boys".

I know there are issues with stadium size requirements for MLS teams, player ownership, allocation money, draft, SUM distributions etc. but MLS and NASL could work out a deal where NASL is exempt from all that. They basically are just paying to have two teams represent them in MLS. Franchise fees could be reduced since they are not receiving full benefits of membership. The fees could even be paid on a year to year basis instead of a one-time $50M or whatever the going rate currently is.

This could make the D2 season more compelling (the race for promotion)...get the D2 fan base energized in places that are a long shot for getting a “proper” franchise. It could also sway potential investors in D2 clubs with the possibility of playing in MLS one day and could serve as a test bed for new franchises while at the same time protecting all the original full investors in MLS. IMHO. Yes I know… Pro/rel will NEVER happen in North America and I know this theory is probably full of holes but I am sure much smarter people than me could figure out a way for this to work, if the will exists.

5. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham hasn't said he's interested and Claure fell on his face with his bid. Sure, maybe someday in the future they might get something together that MLS can't refuse. Maybe. Maybe not.

Possibly it could be someone else, Garber did say he's getting inquiries from people about acquiring an MLS franchise. However it is done it is the success or failure of the Ft Lauderdale Strikers that will bring their bid, or any bid, to South Florida. If you & the fans in Miami want an MLS franchise anywhere in South Florida, including Miami, support the sport. Right now he only way to do that is to support the Strikers.

There really isn't much else to say. Support the Strikers to get MLS here in either Miami or Ft Lauderdale. You've no other choice if you really want MLS to return. In fact, your attitude helps keep MLS away and defeats the very thing you want.

Still, I have to admit, the idea of MLS in both cities is mouth watering. Add Tampa Bay to this & you've got something that makes the Pacific NW look weak...;)

6. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will never be MLS in Miami.
    Beckham isn't bringing a team there.
    Neither is Claure.

There will only be one professional team in S. Florida.
    Only 1 team will ever (if even they do) matter here.
    That team is the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers.

If any S. Florida team ever gets in MLS, that team will be the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers.

They will do so playing @ Lockhart.

They will do so only if they are supported fully AND find the right owner with the "cash to convince".

Otherwise; the Strikers will find their niche in D-2-whether that be the NASL or USL should this league fold in a year. (very possible).

Deal with it..........

1 person likes this.
  7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, Lucho, where did you get the idea that Garber wants $100,000,000? I thought the going buy in price is now $40,000,000. When did it go up?

8. Jonathan Cid

Jonathan Cid New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    It's been a while since I post on these forums, but it's nice to see the usual suspects posting.

I've been following the transition of Miami FC to Ft. Lauderdale Strikers thanks to the Ultras blog and team website, and I have to say I can understand Lucho's frustration with the way Miami gets talked about, being a proud Miamian myself. I also have to say, however, that I'm incredibly impressed with the Strikers and the success they're having in attendance and atmosphere.

I would have loved to see a successful club set up to play in Miami, but how can anyone make a successful club out of thin air without someone with lots of clout, and lots of money leading the way? The only way around that is to have an established history and instant recognition, a reputation as a club. The Ft. Lauderdale Strikers have that.

9. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repeat until understood.

Good man.:cool:

10. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    +1, spot on, couldn't be put in simpler terms. This is it 305ers. Come and join Strikers nation. There is no way that MLS will be able to resist another D2 team that averages 7,000+ per game. That is a very accomplishable goal if the team and the fans can put in the effort to build on the start we have this year after three games.

Personally I'd be ok if the NASL stabilizes and settles in long term as North America's D2 league and the Strikers wind up staying there. I'd still be a season ticket holder and bring my family to every game. I'd also happily continue being a season ticket holder if they moved to MLS. I became a Striker Liker as a kid, watching Nene, Ray, Gerd, and the rest excite and entertain the faithful at Lockhart. I'm happy and proud to still be one today. Come join us Lucho. I swear to you that if you are a true fan or soccer, and a true South Floridian, you will get hooked.

11. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea antique I read it on Yahoo, that he may be asking for 100 million dollar price tag on the next franchise after Montreals 50 million dollar proce tag, Im assuming the fifa rule, about having a max 20 team league can be the reason why the next expansion price tag could be so expaensive specially with the demand of franchises across the country that number 20 spot can be pricey, and Im sure that there mght also be an extra three team, im looking at the league ending at 20 and 24 if pushing it, but thats it no more.. no NFL copy cat stuff...

Look you guys, I know you want me to support the strikers as it maybe the onlly way to obtain an MLS franchise, but im a dreamer im still believing there is another way to get a team in Miami...

You see if I support the strikers, they will get more fans but then when an owner comes because of the success, then how the hell would you expect the owner to change the team to Maimi, thats absurd..

So why would I help the very thing I dont want, a Ft. Lauderdale based team for MLS?

Look, i love soccer with a passion and I love my city, if I had a choice I would rather them name The Miami: Dolphins, Heat, and soon to be Marlins to Ft. lauderdale than to give me a soccer team with ft. lauderdale..

12. freaknik

freaknik New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Lauderdale Lakes
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We dont want you, we dont need you. GARBER HIMSELF said that if the strikers got numbers, then we would get MLS. THE NUMBERS ARE IN FORT LAUDERDALE AT LOCKHART! Tropical Park had like 500 attendance, FIU had like 800, and Lockhart had 1500 with a miami name. Fortlauderdale's Lockhart has 4500-6500 attendance. If you can't support the ONE THING that is keeping SoFla on the MLS radar, then youre a ********ing idiot and can go die in a fire.

Am I clear enough?

13. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Lucho, reason with me here.

Let's go with your idea. Lets not support this team, so that it fails. What would happen then? You think someone is going to invest in a team in Miami any time soon?

No.

What would happen is that Orlando (who is drawing huge crowds), or Tampa (who may draw bigger crowds when they get the Rowdies name back), get the MLS team, or maybe even Atlanta.

So what would you want to happen?

A team in South Florida? Or a team in Orlando, Tampa or Atlanta?

What you are doing is like me not supporting a team in West Palm. Makes absolutely no sense.

Tons of people in Miami are at the stadium. There's even a group of Argentinean fans who have a "barra brava" going. Soon, there's going to be a lot of Uruguayans since I will be bringing tons of Peñarol fans once we meet up for our first meeting of "Peñarol fans in Miami". Those Argentineans and Uruguayans all live in Miami, along with tons of people that I've seen with soccer jerseys from youth clubs in Miami.

Honestly, we don't need you. Your just one person. You are welcomed if you want to join and make things great and have a team to root for like the one back home. But at this point, you're the one that is missing out. We're having plenty of fun without you. And we'll continue having that fun since 10,000 fans are expected for the next game against Tampa. And I think we will get more than that. Weston will be selling tickets at their fields which will sell a lot, and there will be tons of anticipation.

The stadium is just as far away from my house as from yours, so you have no excuse.

This is EVERYONE'S team. Not Broward. Not Miami. But South Florida's

14. Wog Vader

Wog Vader Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami Beach
    I appreciate your frustration with Lucho's attitude, and I must say that I share it. But this goes too far.

Lucho is correct that Miami was never given much of a chance as Traffic hedged its bets with Miami. Tropical Park was a terrible venue.

However, FIU was not, and it didn't pull the crods that Lockhart did. You are correct that Ft. Lauderdale and Lockhart have pulled such superior numbers that Traffic would have no justification to moving the team down to Miami again. The numbers speak for themselves, and Ft. Lauderdale it is.
    In reality, has Traffic promoted Ft. Lauderdale any morethan it promotted Miami? Two years ago, did Traffic promote the games at Lockhart more than the games at FIU? Yet Lockhart pulled more numbers. Looking back, it was clearly a move by Traffic to test the watersw of the two cities and Ft. lauderdale prevailed.

From what I've seen, Ft. Lauderdale's taken off on the basis of a name change, and the people have spoken. I've chosen to cast my lot with Ft. Lauderale, Lucho's chosen to boycott. So be it, but let's chill out a bit.

15. Wog Vader

Wog Vader Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami Beach
    I don't know why other 305ers are not on the bandwagon with this. The Dolphins play in Ft. Lauderdale, does that make them less a team for Miamians? The Hurricanes play in Miami, does that make them less a team for Miamians? Same with the Panthers. Same with the Marlins up until next year. Makes no sense to me.

16. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dolphins do not play in Ft. lauderdale... They play in Miami Gardens, which is the edge of Miami but its Miami!!

17. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I see this debate hasn't gone away over the weekend lol.

Fact is, if a team plays anywhere between West Palm and Homestead, it is ALL of South Florida's team. If you support soccer, and would like MLS to return to ANYWHERE in out region, it is your duty to support our teams. Without support for the Strikers, and to a lesser extent to poorly branded and non-promoted magicJack of WPS, MLS will have no interest in returning here, and neither will investors.

It doesn't matter how many tickets are sold for the Gold Cup at FIU or Barça-Chivas at Sun Life either. Any city will turn out for the international game and big-time foreign clubs. We need to prove we will support LOCAL soccer.

The 10,000 fans who attended the first two Strikers games are doing their part. The supporters of South Florida United, including myself and everyone else who traveled to Atlanta to see the Strikers notch their first win over the weekend, are doing our part. The 1200+ fans who somehow heard about the WPS team and showed up to support them on Saturday did their part.

Pretty much everyone would love to have MLS back. Someday, hopefully soon, it can happen, but in the meantime lets show the world that South Florida supports our teams, and have a lot of fun while doing it!

18. freaknik

freaknik New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Lauderdale Lakes
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I believe Ive been as fair as I can with this guy. He says he boycotts fort lauderdale... HE WAS AT 2 GAMES LAST YEAR? Southern Legion was at 2 Games last year. In that period, they wanted the same perks/recognition as the Ultras. ******** OFF. He says that southern legion wont go to games anymore: Who cares? They werent there enough to even be recognized. All Im saying, If you come to minimal games and claim to boycott, you dont deserve to be consitered a fan or have a right to say you would boycott.

Once more, its self explanitory

19. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry guys, im just not buying it.. whatever. freaknik STFU.. Im just saying and a few others out here agreed with me, Miami was never fairly given a chance... Im not saying to hell with strikers, im just saying it aint fair...

The change does show significant figures in attendance but I mean come on, there has been way more promoting of this team(strikers) than Miami FC...

Its cool guys i'll leave you be, go strikers!! good luck... I might go out to the tampa game though I hate those green bitches!! jajaja

20. freaknik

freaknik New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Lauderdale Lakes
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You were bandwagon before, youre bandwagon now. Have fun!

21. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freaknik, take the dick out yo ass, calm the ******** down, this is a forum right? I have the right to express my opinion. so you being a person that comes to this site to read, has to take my shit, its my opinion, ********ing deal with it...

Dont be putting words in our ********ing mouth either.. We aint trying to take ultras spot or be like the ultras at all... We would come out to games and enjoy oursleves, we aint trying to be like ultras.

If we wanted to be like the ultras I woulda joined them...

22. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50 mil for Montreal? Up from 40 Mil? 100 mil for anyone after? I've not heard of this anywhere. Thanks for the heads up, Lucho. I'll see what more I can find on this.

Do tell all the folks in 305 that don't support the Strikers that they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing it. You were at the meeting with Garber. You heard the news straight from his mouth. Support the sport by supporting local soccer. Support local soccer by supporting the Strikers. End of story, Lucho. No miracles. No sugar daddies. No excuses if MLS avoids us because of non support. You heard the truth 1st hand and prefer to live in a dream world instead of facing the reality Garber gave us.

If you want to see it as unfair that Miami got less support from Traffic than the rebranded Miami FC, I think you are right. They saw what they had to do & did it. Thus far they've done the rebrand well. You see that as unfair and unfortunate. I, and a whole bunch of other folks, see it as about time that they woke up. Changes were needed. They did them. These changes struck a nerve locally that Miami FC didn't and never would or could. Traffic built on that by marketing the Strikers much more heavily than they did Miami FC. Learn to live with it. Support South Florida's dream of having MLS return. Support the Strikers. Come to an electric Lockhart Stadium to have fun at the best thing to hit South Florida in a decade or more: the Strikers. Not to do it is simply foolish.

Hope to see you on the 14th. Bring some of the naysayers with you. Maybe then & there you'll finally learn that the Strikers are South Florida's team. All of South Florida, including you....:eek:

'Til then, keep your sunny side up. The Heat are doing fine, as are the Marlins. Help us do the same for the Strikers....:)

ETA: BTW, freaknik - cool it! They may be wrong, but not the enemy. Let's look for other allies so we can prove the 305 folks wrong. They just don't realize that we all want the same thing. Promote the sport. Promote the Strikers. That way we all can win, one way or another.