Formula One 2006, the V8 era.

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Nanbawan, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London
    but no-one actually used full wets in china. they were all running on intermediats...
    in fact it's not only on british TV that i've heard of the superiority of the bridgestone full wets, quite a few sources on the web say the same thing. it's just not very often that one can compare these on the track...

2. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pumped for this weekend's race. I've been looking forward this one more than any other because I love racing this track in GT4. It's so damn hard to control a fast car on it. F1 drivers are gods for what they can do.

3. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Suzuka won't be there next year unfortunately, F1 will return to Mt Fuji. the Suzuka race track is a little bit narrow but it's a formidable course to race on. I love to play this one on GP4, except for the (old) final chicane.

Sato's beautiful (?) lap in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak27V898u-0

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dude. I know that the China race was on intermediates, it was the qualifying that was run on wets and once again in the QUALY the Michelin wets proved far superior.

5. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

The mass dampers affair as it happened in the heart of the F1 season is really a strange affair. It's not like Renault was hiding the device. Some say, it was border line, but still it was presented and accepted by members of the FIA. If those members don't agree later on, it's the FIA's problem ! They should have scrapped it for the next season. It's not a new problem that the governing body shows some lack of consideration for competitors who take part to the circus. Besides, it was removed on the fact that no moving element should participate to the aero generated performance...Hmm, suspensions should be blocked then.

Concerning the penalty, Renault has made it clear that according to them, their engine failure was in no way related to this incident. So, it's not a matter of sheer result but still a matter concerning the way they were treated. On the incident, there was no blocking. Massa was 150 m behind the Renault getting into Parabolica and pulled back saying that he was disturbed by turbulences...Not necessarily untrue but if this rule was to be implemented like that every time... That's why Flavio was quite shrewd to improvise a mini press conference showing the footage and gained the support of most journalists on this one. And guess what ? This rule is now modified, there will be sanctions only if there's a definite blocking (willingly or not), a mere disturbance won't be enough.

6. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

The Mich (or rather Alonso-Renault-Michelin) were still superior on intermediates ; except for this particular functioning window at one given moment on a drying track that Schumacher superbly exploited while Alonso mounted new front intermediates and shouldn't have...

7. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that. Like I said, I love this track on GT4. Infineon also kicks my ass. I'm close to loosing it on turn 3 or 4, I can't remember which one.

Anyway, I have to be careful. I can piss whole days away on youtube. :)

8. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Is that for certain? I know F1 were thinking about another Pacific GP at Suzuka.

Losing Suzuka would be a huge blow to F1. Mt. Fuji is just a horrible circuit, and other than Turkey and maybe Malaysia, most of the new circuits have been plonkers.

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    add me to the group that is shaking there heads wondering why there is no real talk of Massa blocking Alonso in Q3 this morning. If Alonso was blocking before a few weeks back, and then Massa comes out running two seconds slower than Schumi for no reason at the start it sorta makes you say, WTF?

Of course nothing will happen. The past two years I looked at conspiracy theories and talk of the FerrarIA as just sorta humorous. Now I understand why people get so worked up. The second half of this season has been a damn joke.

Entertaining yes, but a joke.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Again. The difference is that when Alonso was penalized at Monza, he had just come out of the pits and was not on a timed lap while Massa was on a flier. Any driver would be expected to yield in that situation. On this occasion, they were both on the same lap - untimed at first, then timed. And nobody gets a fast time in those first few laps when they're just burning off fuel.

11. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not when the guy is still 150 m behind you in the final corner...:rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree there was no matter for a penalty IMV here. And there was little incidence on the final result.

Incredible how it all changed in less than a second at the end. At first with both Renaults directly behind Ferrari and more importantly with Alonso on the better side of the track behind Schumi, it was still kinda OK. And then, the Toyotas ; they're obviously light on fuel, I just hope they won't play some kind of Bridgestone team strategy during the first stint though...

Ralph Schumacher - Alonso...That is quite scary...

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    i wish you cats were watching this live so i had someone to shout to. i won't give anything away though if some are watching on tape delay.

13. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    "Cats!" I was watching the truck race yesterday from Talladega and I was commenting how annoying it was that Michael Waltrip kept calling all the racers "cats." Trying too hard to be cool, are we Mr. Waltrip and Mr. Hadj? :) :) :)

So I just watched the Tivo'd race and was surprised to see Schumi blow up, of course. So there was no scenario now for Schumi to win the championship?

BTW, I was thinking, IROC should invite Schumi to race next year. Presenting it as a 4-race schedule, they could play it off as a lark, something for Schumi to meet and greet North American drivers, and have fun in a stock car.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    :D

Schumi can still win the championship, it will just take something crazy in Brazil. Him winning the race and a DNF from Alonso would give him the championship. Stranger things have happened though.

15. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Like a Ferrari engine blowing up?

16. _RusH_

_RusH_ I Think I'm Going Bald

Feb 14, 2006
    The script could have Alonso on Massa`s "hitlist".:D

I`m very happy about the result this weekend.

Yours truly;
    Flavio;)

17. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    First conclusion : God does exist.

Second conclusion : he listens to me (which is flattering really).

Let's not forget that Alonso dropped a lot of points due to misfortune too and that played a significant part in keeping Schumi's hopes alive. Today was a reset. Yet, after my initial reaction, I would have prefered it to end differently ; like an all out battle after a safety car for example. Anyway, kudos to Alonso who once again showed great guts in charging the way he did knowing that he could also lose it all.

I suppose that in Brazil, Alonso will get the most reliable car and engine possible now. Like Schumacher, he had the opportunity of having a final one GP engine initially but I guess Renault will prefer reliability to performance on this one. Maybe, they'll try and give Fisi the best car possible, just in case. This said, I wouldn't count on him too much to win the race though if he does, Alonso will be champion whatever happens.

18. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Do you think the FIA is planning something...;)

19. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you, man. I about shat when I saw Schumi's engine blow. That was spectacular. As long as Alonso finishes, it's his; and we may be seeing a real changing of the guard, so to speak. Sorry, Micheal. You're a great champion, but it's time.

20. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Maybe in 2008 then, but with the addition of the South Korean GP, it seems unlikely. Ecclestone have declared that Suzuka just needed a 'face lift' so wait and see.

Yup, does not look exciting at all. At least at first glance even if the location is superb, I guess.

[​IMG]

Agreed. The problem with the designer (Tilke, yes, all of them) is that he sets tricky corners like the 1 -2 in China but that doesn't necessarily make great circuits. He's learned his lessons about how circuits should allow overtaking -thanks for that- yet as far as driving is concerned, it seems to be quite bland.

21. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He's not rusty yet, the bastard ! :D

In a way, even if he does not clinch this title (and seven sounds good), he has fought for it so competitively all season. So this is still a good moment to retire.

22. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Barring a miracle, the title is Alonso's. Even though I'm a Ferrari fan, looking on the bright side, Schumi will retire as the greatest F1 driver of all time. Now just hoping for the Constructor's title....

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turned the race on midway through and did a "WTF!?!?" Shuey was out, with a blown engine. I mean, really, what the hell happened? Does Falvio know some Yukuza (sp?)?

It does give a bit of dissapointment to the last race. Though 3rd place is still up for grabs. I believe I saw it a Massa, Fisi, Kimi. I think if Kimi wins and Massa and Fisi are out of the points, Kimi gets third. Wouldn't that be a surprise...

24. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I no he's not rusty. Hell, I'm a bit surprised he's retiring considering he can still drive laps around everyone with the exception of Alonso with relative ease. Win or lose this title, the guy's going out on top. There's no need to feel sorry for him. He's a legend before he turns 40.

25. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    And unlike many of the other legends ... it looks like he'll TURN 40.

I know many people were happy at the turn of events, but needless to say, as a Ferrari fan, it was pretty devastating to me - the worst possible scenario. Oh, well. At least it made the race interesting - have to say it was pretty much of a snoozefest (oddly enough, for Suzuka) right up until that moment.