Formula One 2006, the V8 era.

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Nanbawan, Jan 10, 2006.

1. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italian GP (Monza) this weekend. This is Ferrari's chance to close the gap on Renault (both driver and constructor), at their home.

2. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Constructors is only 2 points, I would consider that gap whittled.

Meanwhile Williams is hoping to finish at least half the race this weekend...hooray!!

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what is it with these unfounded rumors being circulated in the press? My local newspaper (It's called "The Peninsula Examiner" - examiner.com ) was reporting that Michael Schumacher would announce his retirement after the end of Italian GP, quitting in the middle of the season. It was one of those picture headlines at the top of the pages, with no more text to substantiate it. I can't find anything to support it when searching Google News. There is all sorts of talk wondering if he will quit at the end of the season. But nothing as preposterous as what this newspaper was reporting. I find it very cheap, sensationalistic and irresponsible journalism on part of this newspaper. And it's not even considered a tabloid. Anyone else seen a news item like this?

4. CronoGraal

CronoGraal New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Göteborg Sweden
    Thanks for the clear up, for some reason I always thought it was just each car had a different brand/sponsor. :X

5. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    I found a full story about it on their site, http://www.examiner.com/a-270153~All_Talk_Is_About_Schumacher_s_Future.html.

In it it says:
    My impression would be if he announces his retirement this weekend it would be effective the end of the season.

6. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that's not the one. It was only in their printed version, which isn't available online. And it's just a corner picture headline type thing at the top of sports page. I'll transcribe the exact text later when get home today.

7. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    A lot of stuff I've been reading converge towards Schumacher leaving the scene at the end of this season.

Ferrari could be in trouble because Ross Brawn leaves too appparently and even Todt might do the same yet it's likely he'll stay at least one year to ensure the transition...So, in the end, Alonso might have taken the right decision ! :eek:

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, here is the exact text from "The Examiner" of Thursday, September 7, 2006 on Page 48. Sorry, I can't provide a link as it's only in the printed version. This is besides a big picture of Schumi.

As I transcribed this, I paid attention to things I had missed the first time. German paper Bild? Hmm. That's a tabloid, so maybe Examiner is not to blame. My German isn't very good, so I can't confirm if Bild was saying this on Thursday. Also, "season-ended Italian GP"?!?!?! What the hell? This wrong assertion leads to another incorrect assertion that he is guaranteed to finish second. This all looks like bunch of garbage tabloid journalism, and maybe Bild is to blame for it?

9. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wow, only this between Raikkonen and Schumacher at Monza for the qualifying session ! :eek:

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is there a more shambolic ruling orginization in all of sport than the F(errai) IA?

Alonso demoted to tenth after having his 3 quickest times stricken, apparently for blocking Massa.

A Ferrari complaint, in Italy, with the championship on the line? I am only suprised they didn't make Alonso run the race in a Midland as punishment.

This is a shameful farce.

11. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Not just blocking, but going by formula1.com, Alonso was penalized for blocking "even though his actions may not have been deliberate"

You can be docked 5 grid places for INADVERTENT blocking??

12. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If it's because he was trying to rejoin the pits with his ailing car as he shattered a rear tyre, this one is gonna be a new precedent in terms of FIA ruling...

If he can maintain the sort of pace he had during the qualifying, he should be able to finish in the top 5 and maybe on the podium. The problem is there's not much time in Monza. Like Monaco which has a shorter GP in terms of distance in order to limit the duration, Monza should have some extra laps cos the race will likely last 75 minutes.

13. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Schumacher makes it official, he's retiring at the end of the season:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/5332630.stm

Ferrari also make the Kimi Raikkonen switch official, they'll be running Raikkonen/Massa in at least the 2007 and 08 seasons (Raikkonen on a 3-year deal, and Massa signs an extension through 2008)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/5332710.stm

As for the race [result]Schumacher wins, Alonso made it up to third before having to retire with 9 laps left. The points lead is down to 2 with 3 races left. Ferrari have also overtaken Renault in the constructor's championship, they lead that by 3 points. Raikkonen finishes 2nd, and Robert Kubica gets a podium in his 3rd Grand Prix for BMW Sauber. [/result]

14. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [R] Re: Formula One 2006, the V8 era.

[R]

Hmm, let's say it was a perfect 'au revoir' from Schumacher to the tifosi...

15. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: [R] Re: Formula One 2006, the V8 era.

F**k the FIA right where the sun doesn't shine.

16. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    To be fair, Schumacher deserved his victory but it's true the FIA hampered Alonso's chances with a very discutable decision on Saturday. What was he supposed to do ? Throw his car in the gravel at the Parabolica. A grid penalty is conceivable if someone blatantly destroys an opponent attempt. It was quite the contrary as the Spaniard raced to cross the line before the chequered flag of the session.

Besides, it's obvious that his grid position made them take more risks with the engine revs. by a strange stroke of luck, Alonso's retiring from the race also implied that Massa couldn't score points as he went off behind him...Well, if you want to remain optimistic, Alonso and Schumacher are now on equal footing as far as engine replacement is concerned, they'll both have the chance -as for now- to race in the Brazil finale with a 1GP engine. Other positive notes for Renault, Fisi was in shape for the race and the pace seems to be there even before the final specs. If they put all that together and the FIA remain discrete outside of Italy, the championship is still open.

I was very surprised about the low key statements from the yellow and blue after the whole mass dampers affair ; I thought, they'll comment all this once the season is over. Well, it seems that this GP was the straw that breaks the camel's back ! Very undiplomatic comments from Alonso and Briatore yet quite understandable in a way. The FIA should pay a little more respect to those who pledge millions if not their lives in the business.

17. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I'm not even seeing what the incident was.

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i do not follow F-1 anynmore after my cable company lost the coverage 2 years ago. I just want to know why Renault all of sudden is not doing well anymore.

19. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, they're leading the WDC and are a couple points off the WCC? :confused:

20. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I knew it was going to come someday, Schumi is going to call it quits.

I've watched F1 for nearly 30 years now. I've seen Gilles, I've seen Mansell, Rosberg, Prost, Hakkinen, Senna. I still haven't seen anybody better than Schumacher.

He was a machine, a cold, calculating machine. Everything had a purpose, a meaning - he even planned his mistakes. He was ruthless and so very, very quick. He was also a complete asshole, but in a very innocent way. The Hill incident, the Villeneuve incident, when he was at his worst it seemed as though he couldn't understand why it was bad - it was all hardwired in his brain, to win at all costs. He demanded that the team be his, he demanded to be given the treatment that he thought he deserved, all because he was a singleminded winning machine. He's been my favorite driver, by far, for years - and I won't make any excuses for all the ways that he has "slighted" others in the sport - except that I believe that nothing was ever done with a malicious intent - I think that it was all just part of the game to Michael. He wasn't a complete jerk like Mansell, he was just an F1 driver who demanded perfection from himself, without any regard to how that affected those around him. He took the sport, made it his, and dominated in the way that few athletes have ever dominated. I will definately miss him.

That being said, the King is dead. Long live the King.

FORZA KIMI

21. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Think Schumi will drive German Touring Cars?

22. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Don't think so - the rumours over the weekend alluded to him staying on at Ferrari in some, I would imagine, executive position.

23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So which Nascar team is he going to?

24. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    The Ferrari team.

25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Alonso is only 2 points ahead of schumacher. In the beginning the season, they were ahead by 20 points.... I think.