Former YNT "Catching up..." Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Love this throwback from Luchi Gonzalez. If you can name all of these players, then you're a real old timer like me. Maybe @Sandon Mibut can get it done :) A couple of USMNTers there. #3 in the back is one of the most recognizable USYNT/USMNTers.

dougtee, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    got me thinking about where are they nows b/w weird writing from wikipedia:

Kartes is married to Alexandra Goodman. A nice America woman who worked in the bakery of Hellas Restaurant in Tarpon Springs, Florida.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Kartes

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tarpon Springs was his hometown and I believe Hellas is his dad's business. (Maybe his, now, too?) Love rises among the loaves, it seems...

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    2 - Aaron Thomas - played at Wake Forest; kicked off team for breaking team rules
    3 - Dan Califf - Odds are you know his story
    4 - Beckett Hollenbach - played at Maryland; don't think he went pro
    6 - Luchi Gonzalez - played at SMU and briefly in MLS. You know the rest.
    7 - Nick Downing - played at Maryland, briefly in MLS
    9 - Noz Yamauchi - played at North Carolina; don't think he went pro
    12 - Fausto Villegas - played at San Jose State; don't think he went pro
    13 - Taylor Twellman - Odds are you know his story, too
    15 - Alberto Gutierrez - No clue
    16 - Gus Kartes - signed in Greece; played briefly in MLS
    18 - Bryheem Hancock - played at Connecticut and lower US divisions

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Inbox:

San Diego, CA (December 11, 2019) – San Diego Loyal Soccer Club (SD Loyal) announced today the signing of Defender Salvatore “Sal” Zizzo Jr., pending league and federation approval. Zizzo is the first player to be signed by the Club in franchise history. He will join the Club for its inaugural USL Championship season in 2020. The first regular season home match is scheduled to take place in early March 2020 at Torero Stadium.

Winoman, Pl@ymaker and mike4066 repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ben Speas, a very highly rated youth player, is retiring just a few months shy of his 30th birthday.

Winoman and Clint Eastwood repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #285 Clint Eastwood, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    I've wondered if he has a claim to fame that no other player can get close to matching.

He won a regular season NCAA conference title, conference tournament title, and national title at two different schools. What say you @Sandon Mibut? He accomplished the feat in back to back years. 2010 at Akron and 2011 at UNC.

Heck, how many players won NCAA titles at multiple schools, much less the other stuff.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think he's the only one.

But I'm not 100 percent positive.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's definitely what I'd say too if I didn't know for sure and had no intention of trying to figure it out. ;)

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If you want to feel old today, the last active player from the vaunted 1999 Bradenton class has retired. A wonderful collection of players that set the foundation for the USMNT for a decade.

Key members of the 1999 U17 squad:

Landon Donovan: 157 caps
    DeMarcus Beasley: 126 caps
    Bobby Convey: 46 caps
    Oguchi Onyewu: 69 caps
    Kyle Beckerman: 58 caps.

eneste, gogorath, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rob Bonta, who had 6 appearances with the U.S. U-20 team, is now California's Attorney General.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It says a lot about me that I saw this being discussed yesterday and immediately thought about my U20 callup tracker. I've never come across any useful data for the 72/73 class (which didn't qualify for the 1991 FIFA U20s) and so I guess he's the first name I've ever seen.

Barring a data drop by U.S. Soccer or someone finding a bunch of stuff in their attic, this may be as good as it gets. (Shame I'm not a bit older -- I'd just start telling people I had a few callups back then.)

bshredder, mike4066 and Winoman repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    So nice of Bernardo to name a club in honor of Jordan Morris, Elite American MLS player.
    Has Vincenzo made that money playing in Italy?

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Szetela is actually older than the owner.

mike4066 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Ha. Rob Bonta was my rep and I’ve met him a few times. Never got to talk soccer, though.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Bernardo made that exact observation in a recent article:

Launched April 7, 2016 with about 100 kids and five teams, Morris Elite had 12 teams and 300 players by the second season. Now, Bernardo oversees 38 different teams starting with kids as young as 4 years old through "guys like (former U.S. Olympian) Danny (Szetela), who's older than me."
    https://www.northjersey.com/story/s...is-elite-set-usl-league-two-debut/7322406002/

The author has been writing about soccer for a long time. Give her a click!

mike4066, Winoman and Gorky repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If you've been around a LONG time you may remember YNT GK Bryheem Hancock, who is now running the mens' team at UTRGV. I confess that I didn't know before reading a story about one of the program's players today, in which I learned that's where Hancock was coaching, that UTRGV was a thing. It's a D1 program that was apparently created out of the semi-recent combination of The University of Texas–Pan American and The University of Texas at Brownsville/Texas Southmost College, and competes in the WAC.

mike4066 and Winoman repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    TarHeels17 repped this.
  22. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real sad. I wish he could've come give it a shot in MLS for a little bit. He was up there with Adams as best '99 up until his injuries started to seem insurmountable.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--

Never really played at a higher level than 3rd Tier in Germany, which typically won't translate to MLS. From Austin, so their is a connection. Hope it works out.